EVO All Evo Model Discussion

99 fxr keeps popping breaker for neutral

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011 | 11:44 PM
99HarleyFXR
|
Cruiser
Default 99 fxr keeps popping breaker for neutral---PROBLEM SOLVED

can anyone tell me why? It will always when Neutral pop the breaker and kill the light and then re-light and reset the breaker! Does anyone else do this and is this common on these bikes?

Also do anyone have a wiring diagram for this bike?

thanks

fixed thanks guys

Last edited by 99HarleyFXR; 08-02-2011 at 09:44 AM.
Old 07-26-2011 | 12:18 AM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member

Normal? I'd say not. Oh, and welcome! Details on the FXR? 2? 3? Color?

Old 07-26-2011 | 01:07 AM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member

Does ya oil light and fuel gauge go out too? If they do it could be the wires under the front left of the tank that go to your fuel gauge...the orange one may have rubbed through and be shorting out...I have seen this a coupla times now.

Old 07-26-2011 | 08:19 AM
99HarleyFXR
|
Cruiser

THanks guys. NO the oil light stays lit but the N goes out only.
As for the fxr model, I Have no clue which it is. My dad died 2 weeks ago and I inherited the bike. It has issues that needs to be fixed.

Also if the bike pops the breaker, will this cause the bike to NOT idle either?
I even tried to start the bike in gear and idle it. Once again it will not hold idle.

I even opened the T.B blades a bit and still nothing

Old 07-26-2011 | 10:34 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member

You have a short there somewhere. Start at the neutral switch. Follow the wire all the way up wherever it leads you. Look very closely for any damage to insulation, etc. in it or other wires. Spanners32 from Kiwiland is most likely correct here.

Depending on what is on the circuit that breaker protects, yeah, it could kill the ignition too.

Sorry about your loss.

Old 07-26-2011 | 03:00 PM
99HarleyFXR
|
Cruiser

where is the neutral safety on it???

Old 07-26-2011 | 03:01 PM
99HarleyFXR
|
Cruiser

as for the short I bet its there too.

Old 07-26-2011 | 03:30 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member

The neutral switch is on the transmission. I think you can see it from the right side of the bike, towards the top, if I recall, but it's been a while since I looked. It is a little finger tip looking thing with a wire on the end. If you see a wire going to the transmission, that's it. It grounds when in neutral, engaged, so if it was shorted to ground there, the light would be on but that's it, not popping the breaker. If, as the Kiwi sez, the circuit is touching something else because the insulation wore through, then when that line is grounded by the switch, you have a short and pop the breaker.

Old 07-27-2011 | 09:45 AM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member

On my 99 FXSTC, which may be different, it has a fuse instead of a breaker on the wire that feeds both the oil light, and the neutral light. If it was shorting, it would blow the fuse. And, it would have to short on the wire going to the neutral light, not the one leaving it, cause that would only turn on the neutral light as said above. But then, that would also kill the oil light. If it was killing the main breaker, everything would go dead. I would check your battery cables to make sure they are tight, and then it may be that something else is opening up instead of shorting. Maybe a dirty connector.

Old 07-27-2011 | 12:46 PM
99HarleyFXR
|
Cruiser

Ya its definitely the breaker popping and I can hear/feel it popping it everytime as the N. light goes out. When the breaker turns back on it will re-light the N and I can then re-start the bike.

Quick Reply: 99 fxr keeps popping breaker for neutral