EVO All Evo Model Discussion

99 fxr keeps popping breaker for neutral

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011 | 12:27 PM
99HarleyFXR
|
Cruiser

well first of all I have a major voltage drop and it will kill 3v everytime the breaker pops.
2 is I eliminated the harness to the N light on the handlebar and only the harness from the breaker to the harness is intact but NOT connected to the cluster. So it can only be in the harness that is maybe 18" of wire. But I cant figure out why the breaker pops and only the breaker is red/blk wire going to it.

Old 07-30-2011 | 01:04 PM
99HarleyFXR
|
Cruiser

Its definitely light blue and I can see it from the breaker. So that breaker is the ONLY 1 that pops and none of the rest do. Now the schematic shows it to be a light fuse. IF thats the case does that mean ALL of the lighting including headlights???

I know you keep saying orange wire but that schematic you gave me is for instrument fuse lighting. BUt thats NOT the breaker popping. ITs for sure the breaker wit the blue wire going to it and the trio of red/blk wires.

Old 07-30-2011 | 08:11 PM
99HarleyFXR
|
Cruiser

well at Last 2nite I found the prob. Its the wiring that goes to the rear tail lights it chafed against the fender and is causing my short to ground. I cut the wires going to it and the issue went away. Now the breaker didnt pop at all. But I have to fix those wires before starting it. I also need to Find out why the turn signals up front dont work either. So if anyone has a good wiring diagram for the front turn signal/head lighting would be great.
I would like to fix all wiring before buttoning it up and putting the fuel tank back on and firing it up

Old 07-31-2011 | 04:30 AM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member

Well you answered one of your own questions there.....the N light runs off the same breaker as the lights :-)

If the indicator bulbs are OK and not blown or corroded the first thing I would check is that they are earthing OK. Then you gotta check the feed to the switch blocks (orange and white) the wires to the indicators are violet (or violet and white) on the left and brown or brown and white on the right...as per wiring diagram I sent you. Glad to see you found the fault and yes....lights are a blue wire off a dedicated breaker so it wasn't the N causing the fault.

Old 07-31-2011 | 09:40 PM
99HarleyFXR
|
Cruiser

damn skippy, thanks bro...tomorrow I will solder all the wires and re wire up everything and see what happens after that....

Old 07-31-2011 | 09:49 PM
Artlee
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by 99HarleyFXR
damn skippy, thanks bro...tomorrow I will solder all the wires and re wire up everything and see what happens after that....
Dammum, I should have remembered. I had the main breaker popping on my 92 FXR. One of the wires going under neath my rear fender had fallen out of the cable holder ( good to look under the rear fender occasionally), rubbed on the tire, wore through the casing and shorted out popping the main breaker.
Solder,shrink wrap, electrical tape and putting the cable back into it's holder fixed it. Your on your way.

Old 08-02-2011 | 04:50 AM
KingPinVinny
Advanced

Just disconnect the N switch at the tranny, dunno about anyone else, but i certainly dont need a light to tell me when im in N.

Biggie
HAMC

Old 08-02-2011 | 09:46 AM
99HarleyFXR
|
Cruiser

fixed the issue, it was wiring for sure. I re soldered all the rear fender wiring because it chaffed through all the wires. After fixing that the breaker no longer pops and all wiring is good.

As for the bike I need new front turn signal lights. Any place recommended to get new lights???

ALso bike idles like a champ now and will run all day.

thanks to SPANNER39 for giving me diagrams and helpin me out