EVO All Evo Model Discussion

99 fxr keeps popping breaker for neutral

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011 | 06:05 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member

You wont be able to tell if your oil light goes out because it is out when the motor is running and will come on again with the neutral light as the breaker re-sets.

Your oil light,fuel gauge, tacho and neutral light get their power from an orange wire from the breaker.

Coil gets its power from the black and white wire from kill switch and that is fed from the grey wire that goes into kill.

You need to identify the breaker that is popping and tell us which colours go into and out of it.

Old 07-27-2011 | 09:54 PM
99HarleyFXR
|
Cruiser

ok it is definitely the N breaker that pops, I can feel it pop and reset all day long. I see a red wire with black tracer and a baby blue wire that goes to it.

Also I disconnected the N/S switch wire and the N light went out on the handle bar. Still the breaker pops.

Old 07-27-2011 | 10:22 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member

Neutral doesn't have its own breaker, it shares one that should have an orange wire coming out of it....do you have a fuel gauge?

Old 07-28-2011 | 03:54 PM
99HarleyFXR
|
Cruiser

NO its a red wire with black tracer and baby blue wire that pops the breaker. Everytime that breaker pops the N light goes out. The oil light always stays on
As for fuel gauge Not on this bike

Old 07-28-2011 | 04:47 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member

You need to follow that baby blue wire all the way to see where it goes, it sounds like the N light is wired into the kill switch feed....that should be a grey wire but it might look blue...or....the orange wire has been mutilated.

Do you have a breaker with one or more orange wires coming off it?

Old 07-28-2011 | 04:50 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member

Red with black feeds all the breakers and comes off the ign switch and then to the starter solenoid. There is a blue wire (dark blue) that goes to the lights.....if your N is wired into anything other than the orange wire it will cause the breaker to pop when you are in neutral.

Old 07-28-2011 | 05:09 PM
99HarleyFXR
|
Cruiser

Im sure that wire is baby blue and MAYBE the N is wired into that baby blue wire and breaker...casuing the issue. I will find out later and let ya know where **** goes. Thanks again

Old 07-29-2011 | 09:16 PM
99HarleyFXR
|
Cruiser

Alright well I checked and the baby blue wire is going to that breaker that keeps popping and I assume it goes to the N. light on the cluster. Also I checked everytime that breaker pops and its the only one that does. Voltage going to it is at battery voltage Not running is 11.6v and then the breaker pops and it will only have 8.6v during the POP. Then it will restart the breaker and voltage willl go back up to 11.6v.

So far I chased the wires down and dont see any chafing on wire and they all look good. Even when I disconnect the wiring harness from the cluster that controls the N lighting. The breaker still pops. The only wire going to that breaker now is the red/blk that splits from the ignition switch.

So why the reason for this now?

Old 07-30-2011 | 01:22 AM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by 99HarleyFXR
I assume it goes to the N. light on the cluster. ?
The secret to electrical fault finding is never to assume....you gotta follow that sucker all the way to the N light and tell us what you find.....Look in the cluster and see what colour goes to the N light, if it isn't blue then you need to find where the transition is and your fault will be connected to that.

Old 07-30-2011 | 01:23 AM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member

If it is blue (it should be orange), you still need to find the fault in that blue wire.

Quick Reply: 99 fxr keeps popping breaker for neutral