cruise control n/working

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 12:14 PM
RIDERV700
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face cruise control n/working

hello,

i have a 1994 ultra classic and the cruise control does not work. i have had a dealer look at it and the mechanic said it had to be the module. he did all the steps by using the cruise control light in dash to see if all the functions worked. the bike had 13,000 miles on it when it stopped. i only used it once for a short period. when it engaged it snatched and speeded up. cable to tight. then the cruise switch decided to break the next time i tried to engage. so back to mechanic. i bought a cruise module off ebay from pinwall cycles. the bike had 35,000 miles. i had no way of knowing if it worked or not. the mechanic installed it without success. could the set reset switch still function the cruise light in dash and still be bad? how do you test for a bad module? i have a set resume switch off same said bike. thinking about splicing into wires and using this one. has anyone had a failure with the cruise control?

Old 04-14-2020, 03:00 PM
Ryan Bacon
6th Gear

I don’t mean to dig up an old thread but did you have any luck testing the module?

Last edited by Ryan Bacon; 04-14-2020 at 03:05 PM.
Old 04-14-2020, 03:48 PM
inverse121
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

^^^^^^^

RB,

There is a procedure in the service manual for checking the cruise control. That is where you need to start.

I have installed cruise on several bikes that did not have it originally, I will help you.

Many times the roll off switch goes bad and a good place to start is by disconnecting it.

Old 04-14-2020, 03:54 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

^ ^ ^ ^
The procedure in the manual is very thorough. You do have the manual don't you?

Old 04-14-2020, 05:59 PM
Ryan Bacon
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Beemervet
^ ^ ^ ^
The procedure in the manual is very thorough. You do have the manual don't you?
I do have it. I also found this online. Unfortunately doing this didn't do a thing. The lights never flashed.

Here is how to pull the cruise control dropout codes and what they mean. They tell you why the cruise control disengaged. The module stores the last 8 dropout codes starting with the most recent dropout.

To invoke the readout:

Engine OFF, cruise switch OFF

Push cruise set/resume switch to SET and HOLD it there while switching to IGNITION (do NOT start engine)

RELEASE the set/resume switch and watch the cruise enabled lamp....it will flash out 3 digits encoded as a series of pulses in the following pattern >>> the first digit is string of 1/4 second flashes, then a one second pause; then the second digit is string of 1/4 second flashes, then a one second pause; then the third digit is string of 1/4 second flashes and it stops.....write down the number of flashes in each of the three segments and you will get a three digit code

if you want to verify the flashes you just saw, then push the switch to RESUME and it will repeat the three digit code that you just read.....

to get the next three digit code that is stored, push the switch to SET and three more digits will be pulsed out in the same format as above.....continue advancing the codes by toggling to the SET (or verify them using RESUME)

there are 8 codes stored and once the buffer is empty, the cruise engaged lamp stays on solid.........if you want to repeat all 8 again, then toggle the switch to SET

to exit the readout mode switch the ignition to OFF

You now have 8 three-digit codes written on your arm....their meaning is:

111 No Codes, memory clear
112 Throttle roll off
113 Cruise switch turned off
122 frt or rear brake applied
211 Coast interval longer than 6 seconds (S/C button)
212 speed dropped below 30 mph while s/c button held
213 speed below 26 mph or above 90 mph
221 speed drops more than 15 mph below speed set point
222 speed decrease exceeds 20 mph per second
223 vehicle speed sensor input
231 rpm exceeds 5000
232 tach signal lost
242 high rate of engine rpm change (e.g., hit ice or slipping tire)
341 low voltage
internal failure if code 311, 312, 313, 321, 323, 331, 332, 333, 342, 343, 351, 352, 353, 361, 362, 363, 371, 423, 432, 777

Old 04-14-2020, 06:38 PM
mike131
Road Warrior
Received 639 Likes on 413 Posts

[QUOTE=RIDERV700;8595516]hello,

i have a 1994 ultra classic and the cruise control does not work. i have had a dealer look at it and the mechanic said it had to be the module. he did all the steps by using the cruise control light in dash to see if all the functions worked. the bike had 13,000 miles on it when it stopped. i only used it once for a short period. when it engaged it snatched and speeded up. cable to tight. then the cruise switch decided to break the next time i tried to engage. so back to mechanic. i bought a cruise module off ebay from pinwall cycles. the bike had 35,000 miles. i had no way of knowing if it worked or not. the mechanic installed it without success. could the set reset switch still function the cruise light in dash and still be bad? how do you test for a bad module? i have a set resume switch off same said bike. thinking about splicing into wires and using this one. has anyone had a failure with the cruise control?[/ cruise control?? whats that??

Old 04-14-2020, 07:00 PM
Ryan Bacon
6th Gear

Originally Posted by inverse121
^^^^^^^

RB,

There is a procedure in the service manual for checking the cruise control. That is where you need to start.

I have installed cruise on several bikes that did not have it originally, I will help you.

Many times the roll off switch goes bad and a good place to start is by disconnecting it.
I do have it. It just went through it and it really didn't have anything helpful at all. Pretty much just went over how to engage and disengage the cruise control. It slightly talked about what would prevent it from working but nothing that i haven’t talked about already.

Old 04-14-2020, 07:14 PM
MURPHCC1
Club Member
Received 2,957 Likes on 1,440 Posts

9 year old thread.....OP had ONLY 4 total posts on this forum..........

he's gone guys....hate to tell ya............he aint gonna answer!!!

Old 04-14-2020, 07:26 PM
Ryan Bacon
6th Gear

Originally Posted by MURPHCC1
9 year old thread.....OP had ONLY 4 total posts on this forum..........

he's gone guys....hate to tell ya............he aint gonna answer!!!
RIP

Old 04-14-2020, 07:35 PM
MURPHCC1
Club Member
Received 2,957 Likes on 1,440 Posts

Ryan, suggest you start a new thread in the appropriate forum for your problem.....plenty of real smart people here!!

Quick Reply: cruise control n/working