EVO All Evo Model Discussion

cv carb question

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 07:13 PM
patharley
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default cv carb question

I got a 95 FLSTC. I just put a dyno jet carb kit with a Ezscrew for the fuel mixture.

I try to tuned the carb.. but I have question.. For now thw idle is good and the bike run fine.

But when I try to tuned the carb, I turn the mixture screw clockwise or counter clokwise, nothing seen to change. When I remove the mixture screw the motor die..

So I want to know what is the reaction to motor when I turn clokwise and counter clokwise.

thanks

Old 07-19-2011, 07:22 PM
Mr. Wannabe
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Clockwise if you figure the relationship of it being on the underside of the carb, leans the mixture at idle and low rpms. Counter richens it. If you turn the screw until it seats (lightly) and it doesn't die that means your pilot jet is too rich. Cleanest smoothest idle should be around the 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 turns out from seat range. If it's out further than 2-1/2 tuns out try a leaner pilot.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:04 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Do you have the rubber O-ring, washer and spring on the E-Z Screw?? If not you will have an air leak.
What emulsion tube and jets are you running??

Old 07-19-2011, 09:17 PM
patharley
Tourer

Originally Posted by miacycles
Do you have the rubber O-ring, washer and spring on the E-Z Screw?? If not you will have an air leak.
What emulsion tube and jets are you running??
I got the oring washer and spring.

I have a dyno jet thunderslide kit.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:18 PM
patharley
Tourer

Originally Posted by Mr. Rowdy
If you turn the screw until it seats (lightly) and it doesn't die that means your pilot jet is too rich. .
thanks

Old 07-19-2011, 09:23 PM
patharley
Tourer

Originally Posted by Mr. Rowdy
Clockwise if you figure the relationship of it being on the underside of the carb, leans the mixture at idle and low rpms. Counter richens it. If you turn the screw until it seats (lightly) and it doesn't die that means your pilot jet is too rich. Cleanest smoothest idle should be around the 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 turns out from seat range. If it's out further than 2-1/2 tuns out try a leaner pilot.

In the kit, I got the choice between 4 main jet. 1 for stock, 1 for light mods, etc.... I put the second main jet, should I go with the first one.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:46 AM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member

Try going back to the stock main jet size, and stock pilot jet size. If the air bleed screw makes no difference then, you may have an vacuum leak. If the engine is idling too fast then the screw will make no difference. The screw on a CV controls fuel, so turning it in leans out the mixture, turning it out richens the mixture. On a Mikuni it works just the opposite. Hope this helps.

Last edited by miacycles; 07-20-2011 at 09:05 AM.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:22 AM
Mr. Wannabe
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by patharley
In the kit, I got the choice between 4 main jet. 1 for stock, 1 for light mods, etc.... I put the second main jet, should I go with the first one.

The screw will not be affected by the main jet size. You need to change the slow (idle) jet if you can't get the fuel screw to make a difference.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:44 AM
95yj
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yup. Main jet will not affect anything until you're running at 1/2 throttle or more. Unfortunately, a lot of the kits out there don't include any pilot jets. You have to get them yourself. They're about $2.50 each so you can buy a range of them and tinker to your liking.

I would start out with a 44 slow jet and work up or down from there. Stock jet in a 95 was probably a 42 which is too lean. You can use a different needle and/or needle settings to enrichen the idle/slow circuit or change jets. Right now something is either installed incorrectly or else your pilot jet is too big since the idle screw makes no difference.

Old 07-20-2011, 05:08 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member

Check to ensure that the slide is closing all the way and the pilot jet is in tight.

Quick Reply: cv carb question