EVO All Evo Model Discussion

acceptable compression???

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 08:03 AM
Jim Anderson
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default acceptable compression???

Did a compression test on the 96 FLHTCI and find I have 110 on the back cylinder and 120 on the front. Hows that for this old girl?

Jim

Old 07-19-2011, 10:41 AM
95yj
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Anything over 90 psi is considered acceptable, but the girl is starting to get old at 110 psi. 125 - 145 psi is generally considered OK for a stock or slightly modified motor. 145 - 165 psi is considered excellent for a stock motor. Sometimes more important is that the difference between the front and rear cylinder needs to be less than 10%. You're at 8.3% difference, so this is still pretty good. My opinion is that the readings you have are well within the acceptable range but I would start thinking about a top end rebuild sometime in the future although this could be years out with no issues.

Did you run the compression test with the throttle wide open and run through at least 5 - 7 compression strokes? Without the throttle wide open, your readings will register low by 10's of psi's. Was this when the bike was warm or cold?

If the reading starts off low on the first stroke and builds up on each additional stroke but never gets up to a desired reading, this points to rings. If it doesn't build up much on each additional stroke, this points to valves or head gaskets. Another tests involves repeating the test after pouring about a 1/2 ounce of engine oil into the cylinder. If the readings go up a lot, this indicates worn rings.

To put these in perspective, my '93 had a Harley reman program rebuild done by the previous owner back in 2005 and he put about 2000 mi on the bike afterwards. I've put another 6000 mi on the bike in the last 1/2 year. My readings are 150 psi on the front and 139 on the rear with about 120 psi on the first stroke. These were done with the bike cold and I've never gotten around to running them when hot. As of now, the engine is pretty much stock with a stage one.

Another factor that will lower your readings is with an aftermarket cam along with an otherwise stock motor (pistons, head clearance). Something like an EV27 really wants the heads milled or higher compression pistons to realize its full potential because the cam overlap and point of intake closure lowers the corrected compression ratio. Without these mods, test compression readings will be theoretically lower, but I couldn't say how much.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:13 PM
Jim Anderson
Intermediate

Thanks for the indepth response 95yj.

Originally Posted by 95yj
Anything over 90 psi is considered acceptable, but the girl is starting to get old at 110 psi. 125 - 145 psi is generally considered OK for a stock or slightly modified motor. 145 - 165 psi is considered excellent for a stock motor. Sometimes more important is that the difference between the front and rear cylinder needs to be less than 10%. You're at 8.3% difference, so this is still pretty good. My opinion is that the readings you have are well within the acceptable range but I would start thinking about a top end rebuild sometime in the future although this could be years out with no issues.
Thank you. I was concerned about the differential between the cylinders. I left the gauge in for about 5 minutes after the test and the compression went down about 5-10 lbs over the course of that time on each cylinder.

Did you run the compression test with the throttle wide open and run through at least 5 - 7 compression strokes? Without the throttle wide open, your readings will register low by 10's of psi's. Was this when the bike was warm or cold?
I forgot to test with the throttle wide open. I did let her cycle between 5-7 compression strokes each. The bike was cold when I tested (putting new plugs in).

If the reading starts off low on the first stroke and builds up on each additional stroke but never gets up to a desired reading, this points to rings. If it doesn't build up much on each additional stroke, this points to valves or head gaskets. Another tests involves repeating the test after pouring about a 1/2 ounce of engine oil into the cylinder. If the readings go up a lot, this indicates worn rings.
I didn't watch the build up progression. I will do it again this evening giving careful consideration to how/what readings I am getting on each power stroke. Haven't done the oil test as of yet but that's another good recommendations as I just had all new valve and head gaskets put in (due to an oil leakage problem).

To put these in perspective, my '93 had a Harley reman program rebuild done by the previous owner back in 2005 and he put about 2000 mi on the bike afterwards. I've put another 6000 mi on the bike in the last 1/2 year. My readings are 150 psi on the front and 139 on the rear with about 120 psi on the first stroke. These were done with the bike cold and I've never gotten around to running them when hot. As of now, the engine is pretty much stock with a stage one.
Sounds like something I need to start saving the pennies for. Would love to have those compression readings. Top end reman deals with what:

heads, rings, valves, springs, push rods, lifters?

Another factor that will lower your readings is with an aftermarket cam along with an otherwise stock motor (pistons, head clearance). Something like an EV27 really wants the heads milled or higher compression pistons to realize its full potential because the cam overlap and point of intake closure lowers the corrected compression ratio. Without these mods, test compression readings will be theoretically lower, but I couldn't say how much.
No aftermarket stuff on this ole girl. Previous owners just put tons of mileage and lots of pretty lights and chrome on her.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:26 PM
95yj
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Anderson
I forgot to test with the throttle wide open.
Run them again with the throttle open. I think you'll probably get readings up in the 130's if you got 110-120 with the throttle closed.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:51 PM
woodnbow
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is your elevation? I live at 6500 feet and in my experience stock evos will make 100-140 PSI at that elevation.

BTW, your numbers are very close as a percentage. That's a good thing, run the compression test with a warmed up engine and open throttle and you'll get a clearer picture.

Old 07-19-2011, 02:05 PM
arealinvestor
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds a little low to me!!!

Old 07-19-2011, 03:14 PM
Jim Anderson
Intermediate

Originally Posted by arealinvestor
Sounds a little low to me!!!
Arealinvestor - what do you feel it should be more like?

Jim

Old 07-19-2011, 03:16 PM
Jim Anderson
Intermediate

Originally Posted by woodnbow
What is your elevation? I live at 6500 feet and in my experience stock evos will make 100-140 PSI at that elevation.

BTW, your numbers are very close as a percentage. That's a good thing, run the compression test with a warmed up engine and open throttle and you'll get a clearer picture.
I'm at sea level (or more like 75' above). Will do the compression test tonight. Definitely want to try the suggestions 95yj recommended.

Jim

Old 07-19-2011, 03:17 PM
Jim Anderson
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 95yj
Run them again with the throttle open. I think you'll probably get readings up in the 130's if you got 110-120 with the throttle closed.
Will this evening. Thanks 95yj.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:18 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,762 Likes on 2,016 Posts

Compression test should always be done on a warm engine, and with the throttle held wide open. Done this way, my last compression test on my stock Evo (a year ago) was 150 psi front and rear. Not bad for 65,000 miles.

It's about time to check it again.