EVO All Evo Model Discussion

From the Begining (kinda long)

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 10:54 PM
Mountainkowboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,010 Likes on 544 Posts
Default From the Begining (kinda long)

Rewind about a month.......seaching C/L everyday for a "deal". Find this add that just says "89 King of the Road", open it up and it says 77K, new top end and trans, $5500.00......thats it, no phone number. So I email the guy with my number and expect nothing.

A couple of hours go buy and my phone rings, its the guy with the bike. I ask what is it, he says "its an 89 HD KOTR, kinda like a Road King". I ask whats the story and he tell me, no job, needs money, hates to get rid of it, had it for 15 years, but its all he has thats worth anything. So I ask whats wrong with it and he says that it has few electrical problems. I offer him $3500 and he says 5.....no less, I say I'll think about it.

Three hours later he calls me and says $4500 cash today and I can have it, there's something wrong with the charging system. I get directions and head out to see it. It's 106* in the desert when I get there, I walk up, exchange pleasantries, and spy a black FLHS sitting in the carport. He says take it for a ride, she fires off with ease and I back down the driveway slowly and notice that there are no brake lights. I kick it into first and take off, it pulls like a frieght train from the gate. I hit the end of the street and signal left......not working, down shift, the rear brake feels funny and the front forks bottom real easy. Run it through the gears and the engine and trans are in great shape, the electrics are in shambles, along with the brakes and suspension. Poor girl's been rode hard and put up wet lately.

I get back to the house and say "there aint much that works" I'll give ya $3700.....cash right now. We settle on 4K and start the paperwork.......he's lost the pink. I take the bike with a bill of sale and leave him with 3K awaiting the dupicate title.

Get it home and tear into it, the wiring is a mess, it needs parts to make stuff work like its sposed to. Order some manuals and parts and wait. Call on Friday......"I have the title". On my way I said, short little drive, title for cash, on my way home. Get a call "parts are in", little stop, grab everything and go home.

Today I went to AAA and took care of the title and reg. Came home and tore into it.........only thing left to fix electrical is the no charge problem. Lights, blinkers, brake lights, dash lights, spots, all of it works now!! Tomorrow I will run a check of the stator and figure out whats wrong with that system.

Thats how I go my EVO......and I can tell that I'm gunna have it for a loooong time!

Old 07-18-2011, 11:01 PM
95yj
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sweet. Don't come across too many like that. For me, ripping into it to fix a few things never mattered because I'm gonna dissect the bike anyways to make sure everything is as it's supposed to be. Even if it needs a new stator and regulator, you're still many dollars ahead. Congrats.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:24 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sound like a good deal to me. Im jealous.

Old 07-19-2011, 02:43 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

'Tis a noble thing you've done, giving it a fresh lease of life! Well done.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:35 AM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 833 Likes on 446 Posts

Ahh, electrics, nothing feels as good as electrics that were in a fecked up state that work again....nice one!

Old 07-19-2011, 04:52 AM
jsbridgew
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

very nice!... i would only echo what everyone else has already said

congrats, mate

Old 07-19-2011, 08:23 AM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice deal. I'd had been a bit nervous buying without the title but sounds like it worked out for you. As said already nothing like getting the electrical working as its suppose to.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:11 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

Thats great. You did what he couldn't and now you have a great bike to show for it.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:46 AM
TurkeyRun
Road Warrior

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts

I've been eyeing a bike in that kinda of situation here. From CL:

"1998 Road King needs paint job, some chrome needs to be re-chromed or replaced, it needs a new coil or ignition ( it was left hooked up to a battery charger with the ignition switch left on), the bags need new lids and hardware, it needs a new battery and it has 70,530 miles on the motor. This bike would make a good fixer-upper for someone with the tools and know how. It was running before I left it hooked up to the charger with the ignition on, so I'm sure it's either the coil or ignition that is bad. My health and delay in disability approval is why I'm selling the bike and lack of funds and my health is why I don't get it running myself."

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/mcy/2493714005.html

the guy has come down from 6.5K, drops it about 500/week. I'm thinking if he posts again at $4K I might get $3K in my pocket and go take a look.

Great story!

Old 07-19-2011, 11:57 AM
Mountainkowboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,010 Likes on 544 Posts

Thanks all, electrical is my thing, I used to have my own auto-electric shop. I will get this bike to "like new" condition in the long run, but for now I'll settle for reliable daily rider. Will need some advice from the EVO guru's, since the last 4 HD's have been computer'd twinkie's and dont lend themselves to home repair very well, and the last DIY HD was a 71 FLH that I had about a million years ago.

I'm a gearhead with alot of fab/mech backround who's into old IH junk iron, HD's and Rving. I recently got laid off from job and at 53 the prospects look slim on getting another, at least in my field. Might just take an early retirement and work, ride, and RV my way around the good ol USA.

Quick Reply: From the Begining (kinda long)