EVO All Evo Model Discussion

tour pack

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 10:22 AM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Ok looks under flhtcu and they list them and it seems they changed the part number in 1994.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:36 AM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by chopperNeil
Measured mine last night and its the same as yours 7" here are a couple more pics i took last night of how the QD stuff attaches, they arent the clearest as i have had most of my parts powder coated black.

The rear hoop. this is from a pre 96 but i believe you can fit post 96 as well

bottom mount - mounts onto the vertical bar that runs down the mudguard and goes to the lower bag frame mount

Top mount -uses the rear of the two bolts that hold the old tourpak mount on

The part for the rear hoop the same as mine is 47440-92

the newer one is 53376-97

the important bit for the rear hoop is making sure your existing fitting is the same as the replacment hoop (or the same as mine below)
Thanks alot Neil, so just to re-itterate you have the 97 up rear detatch kit and rack on your 95 ,and with you having the same span from the outside edge s of your fender at the top shock mount of 7 inches ( side to side ) ? And if so I would be looking for parts Tour pak - 53276-04
Rear docking kit - 53804-06 and 47440-92 for the rear hoop if I take the tour pack mount off?

The frames must not have changed which would make scence because I don't think they really did any frame changes until 2008 which would also explain why 07 flht pipes would fit on our bikes

Old 07-21-2011, 10:58 AM
chopperNeil
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Yep spot on.

the 7" wide bit really doesnt matter to be honest as the QD stuff all mounts further back.

I would say your main concern is making sure you can get a rear hoop that fits, all the other bits are new off the shelf parts. You need to ensure that when you pull your tour pak mount off the tubular parts that bolt onto the rear horns of the bike are the same as mine in the pictures

Finally to add another piece of the pie you will probably have to re-drill the floor of your tour pack to mount to the new rack to it but thats simple enough.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:50 PM
notlost_nc
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
I really envy you chaps your rubber mats!
Get some of that rubber matting they use to line the drawers of tool chests, it's pretty similar and will work fine.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:09 AM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member

So I checked on the connecting point for the tour pack mount and from what I can see there is a single 5/16 nut and bolt secureing into the rear where it goes into the round tube of the frame. Neil yours has the 2 bolts going into the sides through what I would think is also the round tube ( part of the frame ). With mine being a flhtp I think the previous guy did just slip the what I'm thinking is round tube into the frame and drill the single hole, so I guess there would be nothing stopping to also drill a couple holes in the side of the frame for the rear connection for the bar ( no tour pack mount ) , I can't see any at present that may already be there. I can't remove the mount itself for another 2 weeks The top shock mount portion is a definate solid hole and the shock bolts would have to be pushed through completely when I pull all the parts off to be brought in for a coat of paint, which by the way I think I will go Orange. The bike really doesn't look that bad with the tea table, but I'm thinking if I do go toward a quick release the old tea table would have to go and I'd need the full quick release bottom and part that bolts under the tourpack.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:13 AM
chopperNeil
Cruiser

why not get the top and back (or the whole thing)of the tea tray painted to match the colour of the bike, that way you could pull the tour pak off and it would blend in nicely, save you a good few quid on the conversion and it would be a 4 bolt removal job.

if you go to the Quick detach it would defo have to go, you wouldnt be able to get the tour pak to fit with that on, thats why you need the rear hoop as well.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:42 AM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member

Ok Neil I think I got myself confused, as long as the license plate bar slides into the hole of the frame on both sides this part should work as far as a license plate holder goes correct?
Then the solid mount for the the quick release appears to bolt ( top portion ) to the 2 bolts right below the frames round tube that my present tour pack mount slides into, I circled in red where I'm thinking the top portion bolts to? So if both are true and thats where the license plate bar fits and the top portion of the quick release 2 bolts go then where does the single bottom half of the quick release mount bolt too? Also can you please measure the diameter of the license bar as I can't see there being a problem if all I have to do is drill a couple holes for the half moon flat part of the bar after it slides into the frame?
It now makes scence why you said the 7 inch span at the shock mount doesn't come into play anymore if the quick release bottom mount is used.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:47 AM
chopperNeil
Cruiser

Yep all correct

The bolts on mine are in the side not underneath but yes no reason why you couldnt just drill them to fit.

your right on the top mount, the bottom mount goes into the vertical bar that runs down the back of the rear fender.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:52 AM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member

LMAO I'm sorry for being such a pain but I think I finally get it. I see now that you've actually modified your tour pack mount to just fit onto the connection lugs on the piece thats mounted below the plate bar. I take it this is the same plate bar you have http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Harle...item336990acd0

Old 07-22-2011, 01:25 PM
Mountainkowboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,010 Likes on 544 Posts

The 89 uses a different configuration to mount the TP rack than the 93 and later does. If you look at the "hoop" the mounts for the saddlebag/fender siderails are on the hoop. on the 89 there's a tab thats welded on the rear frame tubes for that job. I'm sure that the earlier frame can be modified for the later hoop, but I would think it would be easier to modify the hoop to fit our frame since we already have the rail mounts on the frame. The hoop is really only needed to have a lic plate mount in our frames. At least thats the direction that I'm going in to be able to have the quick detach TP on my FLHS, JMO though, I havent gotten to that part yet. Still have to get all the electrics worked out and then the suspension, before I get tothe TP part.

Quick Reply: tour pack