EVO All Evo Model Discussion

tour pack

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 10:11 AM
chopperNeil
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RidemyEVO
The mount is actually connected in the front on the inside of the top of the shock bolts and at the rear the tube part slides into another tube, not sure if that's a typical setup or not. I measured at the front between the shocks and it's 7 inches frOm one side to the other. I'm going to need more info before narrowing down to which quick release setup i need to order.I definitely like the look of the tour pack removed
Looks the same as mine but the front looks modded for some reason, i have heard these front arms snapped sometimes so perhaps they did and someone repaired them,I painted the platform black on mine to make it look better when i took the tourpak off

i modded the front mounts that go to the shock mounts to make it quicker to take on and off, still took about 20 mins to remove and replace with the different rear section but means you dont have to disconnect the shocks every time

I will measure my shock gap and let you know

Old 07-20-2011, 03:59 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Neil yours your mount looks great comPared to mine. I will have to clean mine up ,it seems to be mostly caulking of some sort. I just may do like you've done to make it a half assed slow release as I can't seem to get any definate numbers for a quick release setup.Neil knowing the measurements would be a great help. And Definately I think the hoop for the licence Plate would look better, so I must ask is it from the dealer?

Last edited by RidemyEVO; 07-20-2011 at 04:38 PM.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:16 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,868 Likes on 2,430 Posts
Cool

I just may do like you've done to make it a half assed slow release as I can't seem to get any definate numbers for a quick release setup.
Our bikes predate the quick release tourpaks, so ingenuity to the fore. We Evo owners have a duty to prove we can retrofit stuff the factory didn't intend us to do!

Old 07-20-2011, 04:34 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member

Ya Graham that does seem to be the way.

Old 07-20-2011, 05:43 PM
notlost_nc
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They really made that more difficult over the years. My '84 has the 3 rail luggage rack underneath and 4 bolts from inside tour pak hold it on. Quick release electrical connector came standard. Rubber mat covers bottom of tour pak. Less than 5 minutes and the TP is off.

Old 07-21-2011, 03:12 AM
grbrown
Club Member

I really envy you chaps your rubber mats! I bought my tourpak secondhand from a chap who had converted a Glide to a chopper. It was sound but pretty dirty, so I gave it a thorough wash inside and out, with surprising results. The bike must have been an import, as I collected almost 3 dollars in small coins from under the steel floor, plus paper clips, hair bands, cigarettes, nuts and bolts, a truly remarkable selection of stuff! I don't reckon it had a mat for most of its life and still doesn't, but I mostly use it with a lift-out bag.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:32 AM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member

Once I got the tour pack off and I shook it on its side to my amazement there popped out my long lost tour pack lock keys.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:54 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Talking

Once I got the tour pack off and I shook it on its side to my amazement there popped out my long lost tour pack lock keys.
Lynn,

Its amazing what can hide in those reinforcing grooves under the floor!

Last edited by grbrown; 07-21-2011 at 08:58 AM.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:11 AM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member

So after alot of research on bikebandit I found 89 flhtc 90: T/PAK BRACKET & MTG ASSY 437438 (1655541-001) $124.00 no problem which is my year but for some reason the main mount is not shown on any other year even into the twinkies for the classics. Ussually I can compare years to see when the part number changes and this darn city I live in has no Harley dealer.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:14 AM
chopperNeil
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Measured mine last night and its the same as yours 7" here are a couple more pics i took last night of how the QD stuff attaches, they arent the clearest as i have had most of my parts powder coated black.

The rear hoop. this is from a pre 96 but i believe you can fit post 96 as well

bottom mount - mounts onto the vertical bar that runs down the mudguard and goes to the lower bag frame mount

Top mount -uses the rear of the two bolts that hold the old tourpak mount on

The part for the rear hoop the same as mine is 47440-92

the newer one is 53376-97

the important bit for the rear hoop is making sure your existing fitting is the same as the replacment hoop (or the same as mine below)

Quick Reply: tour pack