EVO All Evo Model Discussion

tour pack

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 08:57 AM
chopperNeil
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Ill take some pics tonight of the mounting brackets and how they fit etc

if you just google the part number of both you can see pics of them.

this is the rack

and this is the rear detach kit

the rack is a new version as and is alot smaller than the older type, apparentlly stronger as well, you also only need the rear quick detach kit, the older one you needed to buy the front kit as well.

I got them from my local Harley main dealer here in the UK, cost was about £210 for both, the rack is about £160 and the mounting kit is around £50 but i would have thought it was at least a bit cheaper over your side of the pond.

Last edited by chopperNeil; 07-19-2011 at 09:08 AM.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:07 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,868 Likes on 2,430 Posts

Lynn,

I use a twist-lock connector, with the socket installed in the underside of my tourpak (drilled and filed out a suitable hole and wired up inside the tourpak) and the other half on a short harness wired into the bike, under the left cover. They are not Harley parts, I got them from an electronics supplier here in the UK. They are plastic versions of military style connectors and I haven't managed to find a link to them I'm afraid.

They are similar to these, but the socket is a panel mount with 4 holes mounting flange. When I take the tourpak off I tie the loose end of the harness to the carrier tube.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:11 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Check Zanotti HD for your parts.20% discount and no tax.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:13 AM
chopperNeil
Cruiser

heres a close up of my rear end (scuse the pun!) without the tour pak on, you may also need to get the rear hoop that holds the number plate on, these arent available new anywhere but you can pick them up secondhand, i had to get mine from the US as there were none over here

Old 07-19-2011, 09:30 AM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks guys I checked the numbers and they only seem to relate to Fits '97-'08 and when I further search for this hardware still comes back to the same, so million dollar question as I'm sure the evo frames don't change from flhtp to flhtc, does the '97-'08 parts bolt on to the 89 flhtp frames?

Old 07-19-2011, 09:39 AM
chopperNeil
Cruiser

the part that the rear detach hardware mount to is the two top mount bolts and rear leg of the pannier support section, i cant find a pic of it on line anywhere but i will take a couple of pics tonight, if its the same as my 95 flhr then it will fit

Old 07-19-2011, 11:18 AM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member

I got the tour pack off and figured I'd better take some pics as it may help someone else down the road. The wiring was basicly only 3 wires that went under my seat to the harness which I snipped and will solder in a plug as Graham suggested. The tourpack bolts were a real pain to get at so I got the trusty drill out and drilled off the heads. Kind of cruddy looking mount isn't it? Seems the front of the mount goes to the inside of the shock bolts.

Last edited by RidemyEVO; 07-19-2011 at 11:22 AM.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:20 PM
grbrown
Club Member

Lynn,

There's a lot of stuff going on under there! Plenty of scope to tidy things up with that wiring in particular. Looks as if that poor platform has been chopped around a bit as well.

Old 07-19-2011, 04:45 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Red face

Originally Posted by grbrown
Lynn,

There's a lot of stuff going on under there! Plenty of scope to tidy things up with that wiring in particular. Looks as if that poor platform has been chopped around a bit as well.
There sure is alot going on but basically for the tour pack there's only three wires needed which I will make up a plug for and run it back to be tucked under the tour pack mount. The mount is actually connected in the front on the inside of the top of the shock bolts and at the rear the tube part slides into another tube, not sure if that's a typical setup or not. I measured at the front between the shocks and it's 7 inches frOm one side to the other. I'm going to need more info before narrowing down to which quick release setup i need to order.I definitely like the look of the tour pack removed

Old 07-20-2011, 03:29 AM
grbrown
Club Member

Lynn,

I've tried hard to find the brand of connectors I have. The closest I can find are Toughcon and my female looks similar to this. The male simply twists and locks on and can only mate one way, so connections are guaranteed to be right. Hope that helps a bit!

Last edited by grbrown; 07-20-2011 at 04:58 AM.

Quick Reply: tour pack