EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Piston caliper lube ??

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 01:14 PM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,873 Likes on 1,268 Posts
Default Piston caliper lube ??

Got the rear caliper piston in yesterday. Still a bit busy at shop to work on it. There are some instructions in the package thought I` d read them. In the instructions it says DO NOT use dot 5 fluid to assemble the caliper. Use only the piston lube supplied. I`m sure there are reasons for this. If someone has the time I`d appreciate being enlightened. If I hadn`t read the instructions I`d dang sure used the dot 5 brake fluid Thanks for your time folks WP

Old 07-13-2011, 04:02 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 845 Likes on 454 Posts

Its a special rubber grease and designed to stop the rubber O ring grabbing and twisting......brake fluid would have been fine but no doubt they want to remove the chance of someone using incompatible brake fluid to assemble the thing too.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:15 PM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Spanners39
Its a special rubber grease and designed to stop the rubber O ring grabbing and twisting......brake fluid would have been fine but no doubt they want to remove the chance of someone using incompatible brake fluid to assemble the thing too.
Well that makes some sense to this ol redneck. Ok The M/cyl kit I got includes the piston for it as well. The M/Cyl kit didn`t come with any lube. Ya think using the dot 5 fluid on it is ok or try and save a little from the caliper kit to use on the M/cyl kit? The M/Cyl seals are round.

Wanting to make sure I get this right the first time. Good lord I sounded like Mr. Goodwrench Nah I gotta ask.

If this had to go together tonight it would be with the Dot 5 Thank You Sir WP

Old 07-13-2011, 08:32 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Brake fluid will work, however if you have the lube use it. It really doesn't take that much to install the seals. basically you are making sure that the seals can move and find the spot they want to run in. There is also a high temperature grease that you should use on the pins that the caliper should float on and/or the pads slide on. Hope this helps.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:12 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member

Agreed, use if you got it, otherwise use brake fluid, which is what will lube it for the rest of its operational life....

Old 07-14-2011, 06:00 AM
95 Ultra
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm following this thread as I'm picking up a caliper and master cylinder rebuild kit tomorrow from the dealer for my wife's '89 softail. Her rear brake caliper started seizing up on the rotor last week while on the Interstate. Got so hot it turned it blue. Warped the rotor to the point it was rubbing against the caliper bracket. Replacing everything this weekend. I hope these rebuilt kits have at least some instructions. The caliper looks pretty simple. Master Cylinder looks to have a few more moving parts.

Old 07-14-2011, 06:11 AM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

See if the dealer will copy the exploded picture out of the parts book so that you can use it for reference and/or take some pictures if you have that ability with your cell phone. Don't forget to check the wheel bearings as they can also make a brake drag.

Old 07-14-2011, 06:32 AM
95 Ultra
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just put wheel bearings and dust seals on my list. Might as well replace it all while I'm in there. Bike is 22 years old. Thanks.

Old 07-14-2011, 07:17 AM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by 95 Ultra
I'm following this thread as I'm picking up a caliper and master cylinder rebuild kit tomorrow from the dealer for my wife's '89 softail. Her rear brake caliper started seizing up on the rotor last week while on the Interstate. Got so hot it turned it blue. Warped the rotor to the point it was rubbing against the caliper bracket. Replacing everything this weekend. I hope these rebuilt kits have at least some instructions. The caliper looks pretty simple. Master Cylinder looks to have a few more moving parts.
The caliper is pretty simple. When I asked for a M/Cly kit the fella handed me a kit that has a new piston with seals already installed on it. All I have to do is change out the pushrod and reassemble. Way to easy which is a good thing BG. The caliper kit came with instructions the M/cyl did not. A service manual is what helped with disassembly on it These people here have been alot help to me, even when i`m aking a fairly dumb question BG Best of luck WP

Old 07-14-2011, 07:25 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member

When doing the M/Cyl rebuild it is essential that you clean out the feed and return holes in the bottom of the resevoir and flush the whole thing as blockages in the return can cause brake binding.

Quick Reply: Piston caliper lube ??