EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Wrong brake fluid used ??

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 07:37 AM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,873 Likes on 1,268 Posts

Originally Posted by oldwildwally
says he has a jar of it mixed with no problems .....I had it in my brakes lines and it was one unholy mess ....jelly everywhere and a hard as rock lever that wouldn't put the brakes on ..
Mine applys the brake some but has a very hard pedal (least compared to what I`m used to and comparing it to a couple of other frinds HD`s. Have seen what you speak of and in other cases ther was little to no problem. I`m wanna do this with no shoulda woulda coulda thoughts Thanks you Sir WP

Old 07-06-2011, 07:43 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 20,187 Likes on 5,846 Posts

Originally Posted by WP50
Dot 5 has not been easily found in my little city. So I`m told and the 2 supply store I ckd with yesterday say they don`t carry it. Ordering for me wasn`t even mentioned.

Order it online...

http://www.google.com/search?q=silic...0&bih=708&bs=1

Old 07-06-2011, 08:11 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

DOT 5 should be available from any Harley dealer or indy. Be aware that there is also DOT5.1 and that is NOT compatible with DOT5. Whoever it was in DOT who chose that name should be shot!

I bought my 1990 FLHS new and used whatever brake fluid I could for the first ten years I owned it, not realising the significance of the different DOTs. What I found at around ten years is that I started getting black traces coming out when bleeding the brakes, so I stripped and cleaned everything.

Both master cylinders were full of a cloudy jelly and the internal parts were seriously corroded. The worst thing, however, was that the cylinders of both were also corroded, by which I mean the surfaces were dull grey, not shiney, but also parts of the surfaces had been eaten away. The calipers had similar problems.

I replaced the entire braking system, at huge cost! It was as close to being shot as I cared to allow it.

So don't mix brake fluids!

Old 07-06-2011, 09:28 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,917 Likes on 1,430 Posts

DOT 5 rocks. I bought my bike new. I opened the box at the dealer, actually. I was having a soft rear pedal a couple years ago. I know that the rear brake fluid has not been touched in >20 years. I checked it a couple times way back when, nothing ever changed, so I left it alone. I fully anticipated the whole system to be junk when I tore it down. What I found was a perfectly clean system with very minor wear marks. I put a new kit in both and then found my problem was probably a leaky joint at the hose connection on the swingarm.

M1 Abrams Tanks use DOT 5. So, you can get the same thing in a Mil Spec can cheap. How's $30/gallon sound?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1-Gal...Q5fAccessories

That would be a U.S. Gallon, there, Graham.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:56 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Hess
That would be a U.S. Gallon, there, Graham.
Dr H, that's one hell of a lot of brake fluid, whichever gallon it comes in! Using a cup-full per fluid change per year, a gallon would probably see me out....

Old 07-06-2011, 12:36 PM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
Order it online...
Made a quick trip to the next town over. Good size indy there He had the Kits and the Dot 5 fluid Go it all for a little less that 80 bucks. Not bad compared to dealer prices I looked at. Thanks WP

Old 07-06-2011, 12:39 PM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dr.Hess
Start with flushing what you have. Drain it, run some brake cleaner through it all, disconnect the line at the MC, open the caliper bleeder, hook up an air hose and blow it all clean. Fill with DOT5 and flush a bunch with that. See if it works. If you didn't get a bunch of black stuff (your seals) come out with the flushes and the brakes work, I thinkyou'll be OK, otherwise get some rebuild kits (seals) and rebuild the MC and caliper.
Would you replace the brake hoses as well?? Thanks again Sir WP

Old 07-06-2011, 12:47 PM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by grbrown

I replaced the entire braking system, at huge cost! It was as close to being shot as I cared to allow it.

So don't mix brake fluids!
Certainly hope I don`t have to go that far BG I learned along time ago not to mix fluids. Over the years have seen quite a few brakes systems screwed up. The simularity in the old style bottles of Brake fluid and Power steering fluid was a cause. I had seen a parts guy putting P/strg fluid on a brake fluid self more than once. Not so much now but in past the bottles were to much alike. Thanks for your help WP

Old 07-06-2011, 01:28 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,917 Likes on 1,430 Posts

I would inspect the hose but not necessarily just replace it for the hell of it. If it feels soft or you can see it bulge under pressure or if a whole bunch of black bits come out, then I would replace it.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:22 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 845 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by oldwildwally
but you cannot mix 3/4 and 5.... spanner 39 says he has a jar of it mixed with no problems .....I had it in my brakes lines and it was one unholy mess ....jelly everywhere and a hard as rock lever that wouldn't put the brakes on ...had to drain and flush all lines and disassemble all rubber parts to clean/replace even the master and then reload with 3/4
It looked like a jellyfish hab been in my calipers a translucent greenish colour ...after the cleaning and removing all rubbers and cleaning behind them ..it was fine .......
and even race cars are going away from using it as it doesn't work well at all temps just extreme temps
Its interesting, this debate....I put the mix into a jar to see what happened and how long it took but nothing has happened.....I am wondering if it needs pressure to set off the reaction. Also, I have found the dreaded turquoise jelly in two bikes that were running Dot 5 on its own but both had lost a lot of fluid and the jelly formed as a result of the Dot 5 drying out.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen but I think its a reaction with the seals that causes the problems and the jelly is rotten rubber or something.

I have some old brake parts, I might add my mix to a brake system (off the bike) and do some more testing...

Quick Reply: Wrong brake fluid used ??