EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Fuel Leak 1997 FI Road King

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011 | 04:03 AM
jbacc
|
5th Gear
Default Fuel Leak 1997 FI Road King

Good Morning, I posed the below question in the general forum. Someone suggested I post it here too. I come with hat in hand in the hopes I can get some direction from all of you.

Thanks for the help,

Joe...

Greetings,

While cleaning my '97 FI Road King today I noticed gas was leaking from the fitting that exits the tank. I believe it's the high pressure hose because everytime I moved the fitting fuel sprayed out.

I have done quite a bit of searching and come to the conclusion that the leak cannot be fixed without replacing the quick connect fitting. The '97 has the older style which does not permit you to disassemble and just replace the "O" ring. It seems the cost of the parts from the dealer are astronomical and the only other alternative seems to be aftermarket from Goodridge.

I was wondering if it might be possible to screw an adapter into the fitting in the tank and then attach a M18 x 1.5 to 3/8" hose barb which I would attach the fuel hose to. Below is a link to the site that sells the adapter I am speaking of. I am hoping that some of you might graciously take a took and comment on whether my plan is workable or not.

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT...mode=%EF%BF%BD

Thank you,

Joe..

Old 07-05-2011 | 04:12 AM
grbrown
Club Member

Hi Joe and welcome from the UK. I can't answer your question directly, only observe that this sounds like the sort of problem that deserves dismantling first, to see things in the hand, so to speak. A repair may become more obvious, even simple, or a straight replacement become the only way ahead. Hopefully someone with better and specific knowledge will pass by soon!

Old 07-05-2011 | 04:31 AM
GAZRNR
Advanced

J&P Cycles sells a set of SS fuel lines that will fix that problem. Get an o ring kit from HD and a nes set of clips. Not a hard fix.

Old 07-05-2011 | 04:39 AM
jbacc
|
5th Gear

Originally Posted by grbrown
Hi Joe and welcome from the UK. I can't answer your question directly, only observe that this sounds like the sort of problem that deserves dismantling first, to see things in the hand, so to speak. A repair may become more obvious, even simple, or a straight replacement become the only way ahead. Hopefully someone with better and specific knowledge will pass by soon!
Thank you.

Old 07-05-2011 | 04:42 AM
jbacc
|
5th Gear

Originally Posted by GAZRNR
J&P Cycles sells a set of SS fuel lines that will fix that problem. Get an o ring kit from HD and a nes set of clips. Not a hard fix.
GAZRNR, thanks for the info. I did see the aftermarket replacements lines listed on J&P. May I ask what clips I should get from Nes? And, what "O" ring set should I get from dealer? Again, I appreciate the help.

Joe...

Old 07-06-2011 | 04:44 AM
GAZRNR
Advanced

You get the o rings (2 per fuel hose) and the clips that hold the fuel line to the top of the throttle body from your local HD shop. Do yourself a favor and get these on the front end of the job so you don't have to go back to the dealer if you lose one. Once you remove the tank you will see what I am saying.

Old 07-06-2011 | 05:09 AM
jbacc
|
5th Gear

Thank you for your insight and advice, I appreciate it.

Joe...

Old 07-06-2011 | 03:52 PM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member

I wouldn't suggest trying to place a fitting on there as yours is probably leaking from one of the O-rings inside the nipple fitting. Unless you replace that fitting it will still leak.

Go the simple way, and buy the Goodridge lines. They are SS braided over rubber with good chrome, and the internal o-rings are replaceable. You will also need o-ring kit # 17403-95, and a bunch of clips (HD11150). OK, you only need two clips, but I guarantee you will lose one or two trying to put them on. Oh yeah, and a good set of snap ring pliers.