EVO All Evo Model Discussion

oil pump issues?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 09:09 PM
dmh
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil pump issues?

I bought my first harley yesterday, always had bikes, now have my dream bike.. its an 85 flh evo. my oil light came on while i was headed home from work today.. later still trying to hurry home my clutch went out so i had to limp home.. i know it has a wet clutch. idk if all evos do, im new to this but i need to know what yall think is wrong.. do i have an oil pmp? it also started to feel like it was running a little hot, any advice would be much appreciated!

Old 07-01-2011, 11:14 PM
topfuel7
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OUCH! Please don't tell me you just said you tried to hurry home cause your oil light came on. It does have an oil pump and you should have stopped immediately and checked the oil level. If that looked Ok you then should have looked inside the tank to see if oil was moving. The heat build up from no oil moving will cause the other problems you mentioned. I hope you haven't ruined it.

Old 07-02-2011, 03:00 PM
dmh
6th Gear

i did check the oil level and it was fine, i didnt check for circulation though. im going to check that in a minute

Old 07-03-2011, 09:55 AM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Is it circulating???

Old 07-03-2011, 11:44 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,414 Likes on 5,014 Posts

Did the engine make any clattering noise when the light came on?

You need to give a better description as to the problem with the clutch, telling us the clutch went out doesn`t tell us anything.

FYI-your bike is not an FLH if it has an Evo engine, FLH was a Shovelhead (you will need to know the correct model designation when you are hunting down parts).

Congratulations on the new bike.

Old 07-03-2011, 01:31 PM
dmh
6th Gear

my title says flhtx. and i pulled my sending unit out. local harley shop says it should squirt out of the hole but when i turn it over it pours out not squirt,, it doesnt appear to circulate in the tank.. so if it runs out of the bottom end where the sending unit goes does that mean circulation?

Old 07-03-2011, 01:33 PM
dmh
6th Gear

i mean flhtc.. and the clutch wont pull in,, alot of slack.. idk anything about clutches, this is all new to me.. but i guess it just burnt

Old 07-03-2011, 01:34 PM
dmh
6th Gear

also no noise when the light came on

Old 07-03-2011, 03:03 PM
topfuel7
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A 1985 FLHTC would be an Electra Glide Classic. I bleieve 85 is the last year to carry the FLH name. The 84 and 85 should be the only EVO FLH's. I suggest a shop manual before you go any further

I would focus on the low oil pressure first. The oil gauges are fairly inexpensive and will easily tell you exactly what you are dealing with.

Sounds like the clutch may just needs an adjustment. Not sure how the 85's are setup but on the later EVO's you need to check the adjuster down on the clutch basket and then check the adjustment on the cable. Both can come loose and cause the slack you are describing. There are several good videos on you tube about the process.

Old 07-03-2011, 03:04 PM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 603 Likes on 352 Posts

parts manual, harley parts book is 99438-86b
service manual harley part #99483-86
get both, you're going to need them. what is the idle RPM speed? it should be about 1000rpm. did the light come on while riding? or idling?
the clutch fingers might have broke or the cable might have broke.
when you start to guess what went wrong it costs money. find out what's wrong before you start throwing money at it.

Quick Reply: oil pump issues?