EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Wiring harness install

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011 | 07:54 PM
EVOrider
|
Stellar HDF Member
Default Wiring harness install

I acquired a 1997 FLHPI.....guy couldn't pay his bill so he gave me this bike. The only real problem is the main wiring harness....Mice basically destroyed the wiring harness. It is amazing how much damage mice can do!

I was wondering how difficult it is to install a wiring harness? I can find a wiring harness fairly cheap on ebay. I need to get the bike running again....and probably sell it later.

Thanks

Old 06-29-2011 | 09:24 PM
jsbridgew
Road Warrior

well, you gotta do some disassembling.... tank, console, seat, and anything that's in the way in order to yank it and reinstall a new one

essentially, it runs down the spine of the bike to the module where it branches off to coil and a few other things that you might have

gonna take some time to do.... key things to remember are STAY ORGANIZED and LABEL everything even if it's redundant

Old 06-30-2011 | 03:01 AM
grbrown
Club Member

This is basically a mechanical job! In other words disconnecting a harness and fitting a new one is simply a matter of undoing the old one and connecting the 'new' one.

My suggestion is to remove seat, tank, side covers and fairing, so you can see as much of the harness as possible. Lay out the 'new' harness, so you can trace each part of the old one on the new one. You could use tape to label each part on both harnesses, being methodical as you go. You may even be able to install the new harness alongside the old one, swapping connections from one to the other as you go.

If it is any consolation, there was a great news item over here a few years ago, when a little girl 'lost' her pet hampster in the family car. The family left it there over night, so they could try to catch it in daylight. It 'snacked' on the wiring behind the dashboard, so the car had to have a new harness!