EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Exhaust Fitment

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 06:17 AM
Schex
Supporter
Received 7,046 Likes on 1,858 Posts

Originally Posted by pajoe
I have an exhaust from an 2008 on my 1990 FLHTCU and the 4" CVO mufflers from an 2006. The only problem was the stock 1990 support bracket at the transmission needed to be drilled and cut to line up with the newer style clamp for the rear pipe. It may be possible that a bracket from somewhere around a '98 will fit but I do not know. It's not a major job to adapt the stock bracket, just drill a new hole and grind/saw a little off the top edge for clearance. I use an Air-fuel ratio gauge so having a newer exhaust pipe with an O2 sensor is a must for me.
Thanks for reply, have a '05 system on the way, how's that Ultima holding up, put the hurt on any drive train parts yet?

Old 06-28-2011, 07:58 AM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,877 Likes on 1,272 Posts

These posts sure got my attention. I noticed most of people thet answered were oputting the later model exhaust on 90 models. I have a 97 FLHT that the exhaust is looking real poor. My question Is it a possibilty these exhaust would fit on my 97 FLHT Thanks for your time Opps I gotta get to work WP

Old 06-28-2011, 08:59 PM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member

Not sure if this is proper or not BUMP Thanks WP

Old 06-28-2011, 10:59 PM
Schex
Supporter

I would think it would fit from touring models up to '07.

Old 06-29-2011, 03:50 AM
pajoe
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Schex3x
Thanks for reply, have a '05 system on the way, how's that Ultima holding up, put the hurt on any drive train parts yet?
I lost the paper with the odometer reading when my wife and I installed the Ultima 113 but I believe it now has 21+ thousand miles on it ( 128k+ on bike) . So far the drive train has been OK, I am using the Energy One extra disk clutch pack with a heavier spring ( about $106) . On the dyno it developed 114 lbs of torque, I am concerned that if I pushed it up much more I could have problems with the current drive train. The Ultima engine does have valve train problems, I needed to replace several lifters, cam, roller rockers, rocker supports etc.

The only complaint I have is buying Ultima specific parts from Jireh, you never know if and when you will get them, even if you call them and they tell you the part is in stock, it may not be in stock. Recently I ordered about $189 worth of parts and received a box with a couple gaskets in it. if you call them they issue a credit but if you need the parts, that is what you want.

On Edit: I actually have a take off header set from a newer bike in the garage, I saw them for sale at a good price and figured it would not hurt to have a spare set. I don't remember the year but it has the O2 sensor ports that I need. If the "H" pipe goes bad on the current system, I am prepared.

Last edited by pajoe; 06-29-2011 at 04:02 AM.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:26 AM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Schex3x
I would think it would fit from touring models up to '07.
That`s what I was gathering in the posts. A fella (local) says he has the header pipes off an 06 Road King. He hasn`t set a price, kinda double cking things Thank You WP

Old 06-30-2011, 01:46 AM
Schex
Supporter

Originally Posted by pajoe
I lost the paper with the odometer reading when my wife and I installed the Ultima 113 but I believe it now has 21+ thousand miles on it ( 128k+ on bike) . So far the drive train has been OK, I am using the Energy One extra disk clutch pack with a heavier spring ( about $106) . On the dyno it developed 114 lbs of torque, I am concerned that if I pushed it up much more I could have problems with the current drive train. The Ultima engine does have valve train problems, I needed to replace several lifters, cam, roller rockers, rocker supports etc.

The only complaint I have is buying Ultima specific parts from Jireh, you never know if and when you will get them, even if you call them and they tell you the part is in stock, it may not be in stock. Recently I ordered about $189 worth of parts and received a box with a couple gaskets in it. if you call them they issue a credit but if you need the parts, that is what you want.

On Edit: I actually have a take off header set from a newer bike in the garage, I saw them for sale at a good price and figured it would not hurt to have a spare set. I don't remember the year but it has the O2 sensor ports that I need. If the "H" pipe goes bad on the current system, I am prepared.
I was looking hard at a Ultima, after much interal debate, ended up sending my engine to harley for the reman program (wow, bone stock, that's a first, wonder how long that'll last).It's due back at the begining of next week, got to get it together and try to put about 500 on it before we take off on about a 1500 mile trip on the 15th, cuttin' it close.

I figured I can always jump on my high strung Sportster with plenty of go when I feel the need to wing it.

Still thinking about a six speed to move the cruise range to 80+ for those long interstate runs.

I'll probably still want a biggin' on the Ultra, I bet it"s nice to have all that torque in hand.

Old 06-30-2011, 03:55 AM
pajoe
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Schex3x,

You probably made the best choice using the factory. Not only you get quality work, if you do need repairs you can stop at any dealer. I do not see us ever getting a 6 speed. We don't do much of the "long interstate runs" mostly back roads with lot's of hills and both my wife and I am obese, having torque to pull us up the bigger hills is more important than overall speed. I have maxed out the speedometer a few times with both of us on, but we really don't like the feel or I should say the amount of stability the old bike has at those kind of speeds.

Last edited by pajoe; 06-30-2011 at 04:03 AM.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:03 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

My wife and I have toured through Europe the last three summers, doing 2,500 miles plus each trip. Admittedly we have a cute little S&S 107 to send us on our way, but I still use the stock 5-speed and US gearing (we had taller gearing here in the UK, so I have lowered it). The German autobahns are great for stretching the legs of the ole lady and she rolls along at 95mph with no problems and digs in fine when there is a headwind. I don't have any wish to fit a 6-speed or raise top gear.

Pajoe, you can tighten up stability and improve handling with a True-Track kit. I have one on my bike and it is transformed! Ain't cheap, but works wonders.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:58 AM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't understand how you gents that cruise at 90 mph can feel good about it being ok for your motors, its gotta be reving at near 4500 or so. I get mine going at 70-75 mph and when I see the tach up around 3500 I feel like I'm going to be doing more harm than good, thats just me though.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Fitment