EVO All Evo Model Discussion

has anyone put fl rear fender on fxdwg?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 09:35 AM
kijocoz
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default has anyone put fl rear fender on fxdwg?

i want to put a fl rear fender on my 94 wide glide,has anyone done this or know who makes one? i put one on my fxr(it was aftermarket and made for an fxr)

Old 05-26-2011, 01:39 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by kijocoz
i want to put a fl rear fender on my 94 wide glide,has anyone done this or know who makes one? i put one on my fxr(it was aftermarket and made for an fxr)
Theres a whole group on this forum who do all kinds of FL conversions to their Dyna's. Everything from Wide Glides to Low Riders get touring sheet metal. I myself have installed a Shovelhead hinged rear fender on my Dyna. Heres the link to the group if you want to check in:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/group...est-group.html

There is no one we know of who makes a direct bolt on, but its just a matter of re-drilling 4 holes on the non hinged Shovelhead fender, and if your really a fanatic and want it perfect, you could use 4 quarter inch spacers to avoid having to stretch out the fender to meet the struts. I just stretched out the fender. One guy SURFORCHOP installed a hinged fender and made two brackets that went all the way back to the hinged part for extra strength. Rock solid setup.

Oldys and Sumax make composite replica fenders that are a near perfect 7 inch wide fender as well, but I prefer steel.

Heres a picture or two of my Dyna with the FLH rear fender as well:

Last edited by bikerlaw; 05-26-2011 at 03:57 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:32 PM
95yj
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
Heres a picture or two of my Dyna with the FLH rear fender as well:
Nice!!!

Old 05-26-2011, 08:22 PM
kijocoz
Novice

wow! thanks thats just the look i was going for

Old 05-26-2011, 09:07 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

No prob, and 95yj.... thanks.

Old 05-27-2011, 02:31 PM
chuckw2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 384 Likes on 230 Posts

I'd really like to do that too so I can run bigger bags-looks great!

Old 05-27-2011, 06:55 PM
kijocoz
Novice

bikerlaw is that hinged fender 7" ? i fouund some unhinged aftermarket replacements for the hinged ones but they dont give the width just says oem replacement. thanks for all the info its really helping !!

Old 05-27-2011, 08:03 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

I think Shovelheads ran 7 1/4 fenders but I'm not 100% positive on that. My fender was just a re pop for a Shovelhead that I bought on ebay and I "think" it was right around 7 inches but being a cheap ebay fender, who knows. The hinged fenders came two ways back in the old days. Standard FL, and FX conversions. In order to run FLH bagger fenders on a Shovel, you needed the correct FL rear fender struts. But to save money companies began making the FL style fenders that were drilled for the FX struts. That way you did not have to buy new struts to get the FL fender on. I opted for the FX conversion fender in the hopes the holes might be closer to my Dyna's (i.e. FXD) struts. Turns out it didn't matter, the holes weren't even close. Either way, the Shovelhead rear fender (any Shovelhead rear fender) is going to be narrower than what comes on a Dyna, but will be more than wide enough to suck up a 130-140 tire with no clearance issues. If you opt for a steel Shovelhead replacement fender you are going to have to either stretch out the fender with your hands OR do like SURFORCHOP did and make some spacers. Thats up to you. Keep us posted.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:17 PM
kijocoz
Novice

thanks,thats what i figured.the fender i found is a repop one for $115 shipped but they didnt give the measurments, as long as its close to 7" it will be good enough for me(i used 4 chrome sockets for spacers on my fxr)how did you fill the holes(weld,bondo or epoxy)? i really appreciate all the help! (although i was only thinking about doing it until i sawthe pic of your bike!) seriously,thanks

Old 05-27-2011, 08:35 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

LOL, I didn't fill NUTTIN'! The mounting holes were either behind or below the Dyna struts so I just left them. For the most part they cannot be seen. The actual hinged section I just bolted closed using stainless hardware and nylon washers to protect the paint from cracking. Heres the pics of the install. I did trim about two inches off the front lip as well but that may or may not be needed based on your bike. If you notice, thats a Shovelhead FLH chain guard as well. I just bolted it to the stock Dyna belt guard. One of my favorite mods. These pictures feature my 13 inch shocks. My sig pic has the shorter 12 inchers.

Last edited by bikerlaw; 05-27-2011 at 08:44 PM.

Quick Reply: has anyone put fl rear fender on fxdwg?