EVO All Evo Model Discussion

hard to get parts for early fxr's

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006 | 10:15 PM
lowglide
|
Advanced
Default hard to get parts for early fxr's

i am finding it very difficult to find parts for my fxr..... any one else have this problem?? nothing is out there for early 1984 fxrs.. everything is for 86 and up.... whats up with that??? would love to get v&h short shots but they dont make em.... would like to get iron bags with ghost brackets.......but they dont make em...... boss bags with brackets , no dice! tough to find parts.....

Old 10-29-2006 | 10:57 PM
RudeDog
Road Warrior
Default RE: hard to get parts for early fxr's

Did you try... Jireh Cycles, Fog Hollow, Zanotti Motor, or Seeger Cycle?

I've ordered things from some of these guys and sometimes had problems finding what I needed so I made alot of what they didn't have. Otherwise there's always ebay.

Old 10-29-2006 | 11:21 PM
Punky Brewster
Banned

ORIGINAL: lowglide

i am finding it very difficult to find parts for my fxr..... any one else have this problem?? nothing is out there for early 1984 fxrs.. everything is for 86 and up.... whats up with that??? would love to get v&h short shots but they dont make em.... would like to get iron bags with ghost brackets.......but they dont make em...... boss bags with brackets , no dice! tough to find parts.....
I have an 87' & I find it hard,,,,thabks for the links RudeDog

Old 10-30-2006 | 08:53 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member

One of the problems that we are gonna have in the future is that The MoCo is 'obsoleting' parts on an annual basis. The aftermarket has been (and will be) the only source of new parts for us 'older' bike owners. I've purchased quite a few items from JP Cycles. Good people to deal with, fast shipping, nice selection of parts. Jeez and they send me three or four catalogs (huge ones) every year.

Old 10-30-2006 | 07:46 PM
RudeDog
Road Warrior

I will not advertise for JP Cycles because they are WAYYYY over priced. I did a parts search through a few catalogs a while back and wrote down all the prices of about 15 items. As it turns out JP was about 20% higher than the cheapest dealer, which was Zanotti's, with Jireh a close second.

Old 11-02-2006 | 02:25 PM
silvertramp
Stage I

I just cobbled a set of D&D pipes made for a dyna on my '87 FXR. Had to make up a bracket for the tranny mount. I got them off of Ebay. Theres lots of pipes for Dynas but not for FXRs.

Old 11-02-2006 | 08:27 PM
lowglide
|
Advanced

very very limited on what you can get........

Old 11-03-2006 | 02:23 PM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member

I had a '84 FXR for 12 years and just sold it. For saddlebag Brackets I fabbed my own. For pipes, engine parts and most drivetrain and chassis parts J&P cycles had almost all of it.

The one big item for the 84's that is really tough to get is the inner primary. The MOCO discontinured them, so if it breaks, plan on welding it up ' cause fining one is damn near impossible.

Old 01-02-2007 | 10:14 PM
LowGlyd
Novice

i too havean early '84fxrs low glide for ~8 yrs, and have found verrrrry few parts that are available for this specific modelin any mag ive looked at. as you may already know, the HDMoCo had+/- 20,000 shvl cases left over after the Evo switch in '83/'84, and thats what you got. 5speed trans from the fxe, shvl case and-n evo top. the primary is shorterthan anyother bigtwin. the good news is, that thee'84flh and the e'84fxr/s are the same bikesans frontend. unfortunately, if ever i cant find apart in a catelog, i usuallyfabricate it (save internals).

Old 01-14-2007 | 12:09 AM
Sandhog
Road Warrior

JP isnt that bad imho if they have what ya need that noone else has.Dennis Kirk or V Twin manufacturing seem to be the best priced around.You can usually find anything if you look hard enough.Good luck.

Quick Reply: hard to get parts for early fxr's