EVO All Evo Model Discussion

hard to get parts for early fxr's

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007 | 02:55 PM
Punky Brewster
Banned
Default RE: hard to get parts for early fxr's

Just wondering here.Have an 87FXR & yes parts are getting harder to get.most times it's after market now.
My question is,what if I installed a brand new HD Evo motor.What would be the situation then,much easier to get parts,& up to what year?
I wanted to put the V&H Big radius pipes onmy scoot,but they don't make them for an 87.So I went with the Short Shots.But if i bought a new motor can I get the Big radius?

Old 01-14-2007 | 04:13 PM
Sandhog
Road Warrior

I do know that the company offers a rebuild program through its dealers.You bring your bike into the dealer and they remove the engine,crate it up,totally rebuild it with all the updated parts that have came out sence it left the first time,and ship it back.There is a link on the HD website with info about it.My wife wants me to do that with my 84 FXRS but I have too much involved in preformance parts to go that route.They will return the engine to stock config and cant return modified parts.
Hell heres the link for ya bro-
http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/C...p?locale=en_US
Now as for the pipes,Im not sure,I think it has more to do with the mounting poin ts than it does with the engines.I reckon you could get just about anything made if you get the right guy to build it.

Old 01-14-2007 | 10:23 PM
mp
Stellar HDF Member

You can't get a new Evo from Harley for anything but a softail. At one point they weren't remanufacturing Evos for anything but softails, but that appears to have changed.

Old 01-15-2007 | 03:07 PM
Punky Brewster
Banned

ORIGINAL: Sandhog

I do know that the company offers a rebuild program through its dealers.You bring your bike into the dealer and they remove the engine,crate it up,totally rebuild it with all the updated parts that have came out sence it left the first time,and ship it back.There is a link on the HD website with info about it.My wife wants me to do that with my 84 FXRS but I have too much involved in preformance parts to go that route.They will return the engine to stock config and cant return modified parts.
Hell heres the link for ya bro-
http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/C...p?locale=en_US
Now as for the pipes,Im not sure,I think it has more to do with the mounting poin ts than it does with the engines.I reckon you could get just about anything made if you get the right guy to build it.
Funny you bring this up.A bud of mine wants me to take this route.But like you,my motor is not stock & that's the only rebuild MOCO will do.Plus the fact they will not return your modified parts is a big turnoff to me.Talk about out of pocket[:@].Where's Barbra Eden when you need her,one wiggle of her nose & it's all good.A rebuilt motor with my mods still intact,& a hot chick in a bottle

Old 01-17-2007 | 09:48 PM
Sandhog
Road Warrior

Ya know Lowrider,cams have changed since I installed the Anderws ev3 ages ago.The titanium pushrods are the same I reckon.I also imagine head machining may have advanced a bit also.Maybe if I had the engine done nby the MoCo I could get more out of it useing new and improved stuff that they have out now
All this talk about that streetbob done up in black has me thinkin about retireing the old FXRSto someone else.It would be like divorcing the wife though after all these years.My 16 year old daughter thinks she will inherit it though...LOL aint happening.
I knowguy who had his enginerebuilt this way and bought an S&S engine and installed it in the bike,put the new origional rebuilt engine in the crate and kept it stock.
Tough decision either way.

Old 01-17-2007 | 10:51 PM
Punky Brewster
Banned

Ya know Lowrider,cams have changed since I installed the Anderws ev3 ages ago.The titanium pushrods are the same I reckon.I also imagine head machining may have advanced a bit also.Maybe if I had the engine done nby the MoCo I could get more out of it useing new and improved stuff that they have out now
All this talk about that streetbob done up in black has me thinkin about retireing the old FXRS to someone else.It would be like divorcing the wife though after all these years.My 16 year old daughter thinks she will inherit it though...LOL aint happening.
I know guy who had his engine rebuilt this way and bought an S&S engine and installed it in the bike,put the new origional rebuilt engine in the crate and kept it stock.
Tough decision either way.
Retire the FXRS,,,,,,,say it ain't so.
Since I have to change out my lower gaskets,once the jugs are off I will make a better determination from there.The lower part of my motor was rebuilt years ago,but my wrench say all looks good in that area.
I would love to get a new scoot,but I also love my lowrider.I'm thinking get rid of the wife & kids & live the best of both worlds
I have a bud who put the S&S motor on his 85FXLR.It is a 113 cubic inch monster,but he's always blowing the motor.

Old 01-18-2007 | 08:42 PM
Sandhog
Road Warrior

I really need to do something with the FXRS.I would like to redo it and keep it,but the time kills me.This commute to NYC daily gets old aftera while.I seem to ride the Glide when I get time to take it out.This pastsummer really sucked for riding weather,hopefully it will be better this summer.
Ill most likely redo the FX,it all depends on how much the new Z-28 costs when it comes out in '08.If possible Ill stick one beside the Wide Glide and FXR but if I gotta choose 1 the Glider gets the vote,the FX is for racin and Im gettin older..LOL

Old 01-19-2007 | 01:51 AM
Punky Brewster
Banned

I really need to do something with the FXRS.I would like to redo it and keep it,but the time kills me.This commute to NYC daily gets old aftera while.I seem to ride the Glide when I get time to take it out.This pastsummer really sucked for riding weather,hopefully it will be better this summer.
Ill most likely redo the FX,it all depends on how much the new Z-28 costs when it comes out in '08.If possible Ill stick one beside the Wide Glide and FXR but if I gotta choose 1 the Glider gets the vote,the FX is for racin and Im gettin older..LOL
Yea I hardly rode this past summer.My dream is to get the Deluxe & redo the 87,but with three kids eating me out of house & home.I barely keep the lowrider running.
So Sand what's your daily commute time wise?

Old 01-19-2007 | 03:08 AM
Bug_Guy
Banned

Get this catalog:

http://www.vtwinmfg.com/NewVtwinWeb

They don't sell retail, but this is where J&P Cycles (and probably most of the other retailers) get their FXR parts.

Old 01-19-2007 | 07:21 PM
Sandhog
Road Warrior

Im 79 miles door to door but I have to get there at 5am in order to get ready to start at 7am.I need to be underground by 6:20 to getready when the crew hits the bottom at 6:45 so its more than just 8 hours.I can usually get home by 5 most times but by then Im dragginazz...
Big Guy...Teds cycle shed (aka...VTwin Mfg will sell retail through your local dealer OR if you come to the shop.)I"m bout 15 minutes from them and they have caught quite a lot of crap from people because of thier practices of copying parts and having them made overseas and repackaged here.Ive never had problems though and get that info third hand.

Quick Reply: hard to get parts for early fxr's