EVO All Evo Model Discussion

97 Electric gluide

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 08:08 PM
rango
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Electric gluide

Just wanted to know I have a 97 Evo on an electric guide classic that I just bought with 28k on it. My local repair shop is giving bad vibes stating that the bikes are slow and the fuel injection is poor. I am having them put Rinehart exhaust and a first stage, power commander on it now. He thinks it will only put out 60 horse at best. Is this a good motor? is this a good bike?

Old 05-17-2011, 08:21 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,911 Likes on 1,426 Posts

It's the best bike. Except for mine, of course. You need to find a new local repair shop.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:07 PM
johnnyQ
Advanced

Rango, I have a 97 Electra standard.. and its fine for me although I've modded it a bit with 2-1, air cleaner, carb jet, cam, ignition, 02+ rear end.

It handles pretty decent now... In general it's not intended to be fast and nimble like a sport bike... more like a mini van type of feel... newer baggers are faster (bigger motor), handle better (frame), and stop faster (brakes) but that performance will cost you a lot more than a 97 will.

So kind of like comparing a 97 mini van with a new one.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:21 PM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,788 Likes on 891 Posts

I second the "find a different repair shop" sounds like the current one is commercialized and bought into the dinosaur stereotype.

The 97 Evo big bike is battle tested and will get the nod from this section, the Evo engine is proven and responds well to engine modifications, bolt in cam with some compression, correct parts and a Powercommander with a good tune can touch 80 hp-80 torque so the prehistoric slug is capable of motoring down the road with those new fangled bikes with the thigh cooker engines.

Many M&M efi's are running 100,000 miles and a simple carb conversion can be done with the help of the Evo section if things go wrong. If you have problems, post them on here and many good people will come to your aid but maybe on second thought, you might want to put that high mileage antique for sale on here cheap and cut your losses

Old 05-18-2011, 09:34 AM
rango
Stage II

Thanks guys

Old 05-18-2011, 09:48 AM
phat96
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rango in the end you won't be disappointed with your 97. The upgrades your doing will give you a bit of a jump on that throttle, and later when you do a cam and maybe a little head work the difference is night and day. Don't let someone else tell you what you will enjoy. I'd have that 97 in a heart beat, bags fairing gages at eye level and tunes, it's perfect. Just put the ole lady on the back and enjoy the wind. All the best, and these guys know evo's, when you need help and planning on doing it yourself.

Old 05-18-2011, 11:37 AM
BB4xl
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would look for another shop. The guy hasn't even started anything and he is negative. You should tell him forget it. If he says it isn't going to help why spend the money. I am sure you can find a shop in the Detroit area that will be more helpful. As said with a few mods you will love it.

Old 05-18-2011, 11:46 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,817 Likes on 3,171 Posts

My 98 Ultra, ( same motor, frame and fuel injection as yours,) ran 65,000 trouble free miles. Ported the heads, 10 to 1 Pistons, Power Commander, EV 30-30 cam. It ran with the 88 Twin Cams all over the East Coast.

My '00 FLTRSEI has the same fuel injection and just turned 89,000 miles this morning with no problems.

So, Enjoy your '97!

Old 05-18-2011, 03:31 PM
woodnbow
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would never have anyone work on my motorcycle if they didn't have a little passion for the bike. If the guy thinks Evo's are dogs he's not gonna be motivated to 'care' for the bike and put his best effort into it and I don't want anyone like that within spitting distance of MY ride. Find another wrench. I'll bet there are lots that are hungry for the work...

Old 05-18-2011, 06:26 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 161 Posts

My first thought after reading this post is, the guy doesn't know how to work on mm fi, or the power commanders for them. And probably doesn't wont to learn. He may only be familiar with the newer stuff. So like everyone else said I would look for someone else to do your upgrades.,

Quick Reply: 97 Electric gluide