Warming it up...

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 03:22 PM
KRUZ N
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Warming it up...

ORIGINAL: Hackd

ORIGINAL: KRUZ N...I just purchased a '93 Nostalgia with 6600 miles on it. It has the Andrew EV-27 Cam and pushrods installed. I'm not real familiar with these upgrades. Did this hurt the value of the bike? Did it improve HP? And, what else can you tell me about the upgrades that I should know?...
Can't comment on what effect the upgrades have on the value of a 14 year old bike (like mine). The stock EVO motor was 'strangled' by The MoCo to meet EPA restrictions on emissions and noise. The best immediateupgrades are a free flowing air cleaner, free flowing exhaust (doesn't need to be offensively loud), and a better cam. The Andrews EV27 is a good cam for a heavy bike. It makes very good power with little or noeffect on fuel milage.

That's good to know. However, I'm not sure what the MoCo is? Is it a pollution control that should be removed if it isn't required by my state? If so, what does it look like and do I need additional parts? To "free up" the air flow, what do you suggest?

Thanks again,
KRUZ N

Old 02-04-2007, 12:42 AM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Kruz N

Welcome to the forum and good choice on getting an Evo. The MOCO is the Motor Company or more correctly, the Harley davidson Motor Company, the manufacturer, the folks who made your bike. It's another version of Harleyspeak. Motorclothes are what you pay outrageous prices from the dealer to wear and promote HD.

You haven't increased or decreased the value with your cam , adjustible pushrods and air cleaner setup but if you decide to sell, someone will be happier than with stock.

First thing to do is get you a copy of the service manual and a parts manual. Both are invaluable as you ride and maintain your bike. Visit this forum often and read read read. Use the search feature often. Keep a thick skin and your tongue firmly in your cheek as you post. You'll find good info here, bull shoot and lots of stuff in between.

Enjoy

Bubba

Old 02-04-2007, 09:57 AM
KRUZ N
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: 55Bubba

Kruz N

Welcome to the forum and good choice on getting an Evo. The MOCO is the Motor Company or more correctly, the Harley davidson Motor Company, the manufacturer, the folks who made your bike. It's another version of Harleyspeak. Motorclothes are what you pay outrageous prices from the dealer to wear and promote HD.

You haven't increased or decreased the value with your cam , adjustible pushrods and air cleaner setup but if you decide to sell, someone will be happier than with stock.

First thing to do is get you a copy of the service manual and a parts manual. Both are invaluable as you ride and maintain your bike. Visit this forum often and read read read. Use the search feature often. Keep a thick skin and your tongue firmly in your cheek as you post. You'll find good info here, bull shoot and lots of stuff in between.

Enjoy

Bubba
55Bubba,
Thanks for the welcome and info. I couldn't figure out what MoCO was for the life of me I didn't get the owners manual with purchase. I guess I can pick up the service and parts manuals atmy local MoCo dealer I'm getting the hang of this thing!

I'll be around here for a long time!

Thanks again,
KRUZ N

Old 02-04-2007, 04:52 PM
mp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

You don't have to do anything fancy when you start the bike. Pull the enrichener out, don't give it any throttle, let it idle for 30 sec to a minute, head on down the road at a sedate pace, push in enrichener ( if the vibration hasn't already done it) after two to four miles, depending how cold it is.
And you're supposed to use 10w40 in the winter.

Old 02-10-2007, 03:58 PM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

The only time I use the enrichener,is in the cooler weather with the accel pump.In warm weather just a couple of twists of throttle and she fires right up.Then just ride away easy until start to feel a little heat,still take it easy until I know motor is warm.

Old 03-06-2007, 11:07 AM
easyglider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: mimo

Procedure that came in the Video supplied with the bike:

-Pull the choke all they way out.

-Fire up, and let the motor runing like so for 15 seconds, no more.

-Push the choke half way in.

-Take off and continue to push the rest in, the bike will tell you exactly when it is time to go w/o the choke.

This is the procedure that I use from day one since late '98, never had a problem once I learned to listen to the bike.

Regards.
This is the procedure I use .

Old 03-06-2007, 06:41 PM
EVOrider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 278 Likes on 203 Posts

I usually let it idle for a few minutes....just not get in a hurry. Then just take it nice and easy to let it slowly warmup. My FLHTCUI though, usually just start it and ride...but very easy until after a few miles.