Warming it up...

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 12:14 AM
Punky Brewster
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Warming it up...

ORIGINAL: jfanton

Enricher should not be open for more than a minute.Your fouling out your plugs.
Change your plugs first off.When you start the bike,enricher out all the way.After about a minute,push the enricher in & give a little gas thru the throttle.Lock the throttle at about 1000rpms for 2 to 4 minutes & ride.No more fouling plugs.Been there done that

This is the procedure I use...
Yea,works for me,& longer life on the plugs as well

Old 11-01-2006, 05:26 PM
4x4Given
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cold motor, I pull the enricher (which I still call a choke out of habit), give the throttle one or two blips (quick twists), turn the key and hit the button. I start easing the choke back in (it doesn't stay out on it's own), while monitoring idle speed / quality. A few light blips on the throttle, easing the choke in further. After about a minute, I bring it up to about 1,500 rpm and ease the choke all the way in. About 15 seconds after that, I let it settle down to idle. If it's below about 800, or prone to coughing or stalling, I may bring the rpm's back up to around 1,500 rpm for another minute. As soon as off idle throttle response is smooth and stable, I pull the clutch, put it in gear and head out to bust some bugs.

Warm / hot motor, I just give the throttle a couple quick blips, turn the key and hit the button. Feather / blip the throttle *IF* needed, allowing it to run for about a minute, then it's time to ride!

I always turn the fuel petcock off when the engine is shutdown.

Old 11-01-2006, 07:15 PM
fxstcguy98
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: 4x4Given

I start easing the choke back in (it doesn't stay out on it's own),
There is a plastic "nut" on the back side that can be tightened that will let the enricher stay out on it's own. Not too tight though it's only plastic.

Old 11-02-2006, 10:21 AM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Procedure that came in the Video supplied with the bike:

-Pull the choke all they way out.

-Fire up, and let the motor runing like so for 15 seconds, no more.

-Push the choke half way in.

-Take off and continue to push the rest in, the bike will tell you exactly when it is time to go w/o the choke.

This is the procedure that I use from day one since late '98, never had a problem once I learned to listen to the bike.

Regards.

Old 11-02-2006, 11:10 AM
dja1340
Advanced

I do the same as Mimo on my 86 in CA.

Old 11-02-2006, 11:41 AM
ThePunster
Advanced

I am a new member - and a new owner of a 1998 Ultra in mystic green and black - Thank you, thank you. I love the bike and have been all over this site since I got it (even before) - great stuff. Anyway, to my point - my bike is fuel injected. All of your procedures are for carbs, but I was wondering just how long I should let my bike idle on these cold New England mornings before I begin my hour commute. I hadn't thought about it much, but since we've hit the low foties down to mid thirties, I've noticed my oil pressure gauge is pinned for a bit and I was thinking that this is probably not good. 2 minutes, unitil the idle slows, it doesn't matter...? Does anyone change the weight of the oil for winter riding? Is it necessary?

Thanks - Looking forward to participating.

DOM

Old 11-02-2006, 04:44 PM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 77 Posts

Welcome to the forum! You're gonna get all kinds of opinions on oil....I've always used 20-50 HD oil in the bike. I might give synthetic a whirl next year. I've had no problems in temps as low as the 30's (I left for Biketoberfest on year when it was 34*). Normally, I let the motor heat up until the rocker boxes are warm to the touch, then take it easy for the first few miles. Then I ride it like I stole it.

If you've never own a HD before, you're gonna also notice that when it is hot outside, and the bike is at temperature, the oil pressure might go below 10psi at idle. Don't be alarmed, it's normal. What wouldn't be normal is if you start getting all sorts of lifter noise. Which means the oil pump might have went south. I've seen EVO's go to almost '0' when idling in a traffic jam during 90+ degree heat.

Old 11-03-2006, 04:09 PM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Hackd

Welcome to the forum! You're gonna get all kinds of opinions on oil....I've always used 20-50 HD oil in the bike. I might give synthetic a whirl next year. I've had no problems in temps as low as the 30's (I left for Biketoberfest on year when it was 34*). Normally, I let the motor heat up until the rocker boxes are warm to the touch, then take it easy for the first few miles. Then I ride it like I stole it.

If you've never own a HD before, you're gonna also notice that when it is hot outside, and the bike is at temperature, the oil pressure might go below 10psi at idle. Don't be alarmed, it's normal. What wouldn't be normal is if you start getting all sorts of lifter noise. Which means the oil pump might have went south. I've seen EVO's go to almost '0' when idling in a traffic jam during 90+ degree heat.

Excellent information! Thank you. I recently had that "problem" the bike was tending to shut off at idle in hot days with heavy traffic (the oil witness flashed and the RPM's dropped). Completely normal then.

Thank you.

Old 02-03-2007, 12:53 AM
KRUZ N
Novice

ORIGINAL: Hackd

'Most' EVO owners will tell you to let the motor warm up until the rocker boxes are warm to touch. Then 'others' will tell you to just start it and ride it easy for the first few miles. There are two issues:

If you decide to enhance the preformance of the bike, I'd recommend: Air Cleaner, Exhaust, Cam, Ignition, dyno tune the carb.
My EVO has the SE air cleaner, SuperTrapp slip-ons (18 discs), Andrews EV27 cam, Dyna 2000 ignition, and mild porting of the heads. Still working on a good tune, but last dyno was 75/82. There is no comparison between how it runs with the mods, and when it was stock.

I just purchased a '93 Nostalgia with 6600 miles on it. It has the Andrew EV-27 Cam and pushrods installed. I'm not real familiar with these upgrades. Did this hurt the value of the bike? Did it improve HP? And, what else can you tell me about the upgrades that I should know?

Thanks,
KRUZ N

Old 02-03-2007, 01:50 PM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 77 Posts

ORIGINAL: KRUZ N...I just purchased a '93 Nostalgia with 6600 miles on it. It has the Andrew EV-27 Cam and pushrods installed. I'm not real familiar with these upgrades. Did this hurt the value of the bike? Did it improve HP? And, what else can you tell me about the upgrades that I should know?...
Can't comment on what effect the upgrades have on the value of a 14 year old bike (like mine). The stock EVO motor was 'strangled' by The MoCo to meet EPA restrictions on emissions and noise. The best immediateupgrades are a free flowing air cleaner, free flowing exhaust (doesn't need to be offensively loud), and a better cam. The Andrews EV27 is a good cam for a heavy bike. It makes very good power with little or noeffect on fuel milage.

Quick Reply: Warming it up...