EVO All Evo Model Discussion

91 Ultra. Front Brake Bleeding question

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 05:19 PM
BungoBill
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Unhappy 91 Ultra. Front Brake Bleeding question

I was due to take my 91 Ultra for its yearly *M.O.T (*UK road worthiness test for all vehicles over 3 years old). It had already failed the MOT Test on S.Head Bearings and other stuff which has now been repaired. It also failed on the Front Brakes which were "spongy/soft" when the lever was pulled. The Pads are ok!
I decided to bleed the Front Brakes and went through the "usual" (I think) procedure.....keeping Reservoir topped up at all times.
tube to bottle for old/used fluid.
gently pumping lever then holding it down before tightening nipple.
starting with furthest away, from reservoir, bleed nipple.
then to nearest bleed nipple.
I LOST ALL PRESSURE on the lever and after approx. 1 hours pumping ,filling reservoir etc., etc.,I still didnt have any brake lever pressure at all.
I disconnected the "banjo" bolt on Reservoir and tested for pressure with finger over hole. Pressure was good. I know that brakes can often be a problem to bleed but I would have expected even a little pressure at lever after all this time & effort.
Any advice would be much appreciated as I want to take the old Ultra for a re-test as soon as poss. Bungo.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:36 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 229 Likes on 154 Posts

I had a simular thing with my '03 ultra. Turned out the master cyl needed a rebuild. There are kits with the plunger and other goodies that will cure that. I put speed bleeders on after that ,and they make bleeding the brakes less of a pita.,,

Old 04-28-2011, 10:45 AM
BungoBill
Road Captain
Unhappy

Originally Posted by big cahuna
I had a simular thing with my '03 ultra. Turned out the master cyl needed a rebuild. There are kits with the plunger and other goodies that will cure that. I put speed bleeders on after that ,and they make bleeding the brakes less of a pita.,,
Hi Big C,I had thought about the Master Cylinder (inc.piston etc.inside) being faulty but thought that ....as I was getting pressure at the M.Cyl.out pipe when my finger was over the hole,all was well with that area.
I will probably buy a new Master Cylinder Kit, insert it and hope that it works.
Might try the speed bleeders too.Will keep you and others posted with results. Many thanks for your response.Bungo.

Old 04-28-2011, 02:58 PM
oppirs
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is exactly the problem I had, that got me to this site many years ago. I did a search for "bleeding ultra front brake" & also "tightening head bearing". I found out that you back flush the front brakes. Takes out that tiny air bubble near the bango fitting. The searches said to use a Vacuum pump to suck the fluid up the caliper.

Well I didn't have a pump so I used my air compressor to force the fluid up the hose to the reserve. Worked like a charm and had a rock hard brake lever, took all of 15 mins. But use the pump, or this link, my way was a bit more difficult and messy.

I did a search for you. http://www.moccsplace.com/images/bra...er/bleeder.htm

Last edited by oppirs; 04-28-2011 at 03:12 PM. Reason: added link
Old 04-28-2011, 03:59 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 663 Likes on 371 Posts

Stuffed master cylinders can be deceptive. The clue is how much force the old fluid comes out with, it should "spit" out of the nipples or the tube with some force. Finger over the banjo hole won't tell you much.

If it doesn't bleed within 15 pumps of the lever its usually a shot m/cyl.

Old 04-28-2011, 04:02 PM
BungoBill
Road Captain
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by oppirs
This is exactly the problem I had, that got me to this site many years ago. I did a search for "bleeding ultra front brake" & also "tightening head bearing". I found out that you back flush the front brakes. Takes out that tiny air bubble near the bango fitting. The searches said to use a Vacuum pump to suck the fluid up the caliper.

Well I didn't have a pump so I used my air compressor to force the fluid up the hose to the reserve. Worked like a charm and had a rock hard brake lever, took all of 15 mins. But use the pump, or this link, my way was a bit more difficult and messy.

I did a search for you. http://www.moccsplace.com/images/bra...er/bleeder.htm
Hi,Thanks for some GREAT Info.I am 95% sure that what you have said will do cure the problem. Thanks also for the GREAT Link re. "back flushing".
I think it is safe to say that..... If you have problems bleeding your Front Brakes and arent getting pressure at the lever, DISCONNECT THE PIPE DIRECTLY INTO THE BRAKE FLUID RESERVOIR, HOLD YOUR FINGER OVER THE HOLE
AND SEE IF THEIR IS ANY PRESSURE AT LEVER. IF THERE IS PRESSURE IT IS UNLIKELY THAT YOU WILL NEED TO BUY A MASTER.CYLINDER KIT ($35-$45).
What great info. & advice from the guys on this forum and just when you need it most.
Bungo..

Old 04-28-2011, 04:05 PM
BungoBill
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Spanners39
Stuffed master cylinders can be deceptive. The clue is how much force the old fluid comes out with, it should "spit" out of the nipples or the tube with some force. Finger over the banjo hole won't tell you much.

If it doesn't bleed within 15 pumps of the lever its usually a shot m/cyl.
Sorry,Hadnt read your reply before posting my last reply to oppirs.
Yes Spanners,I agree...it depends very much on the Pressure. My pressure was good with finger over hole. Bungo.

Old 04-29-2011, 10:04 AM
d_slat
Road Warrior
Received 609 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by oppirs
The searches said to use a Vacuum pump to suck the fluid up the caliper.

You can also use a big syringe with a hose on the end, and push the fluid through the bleeder up to the master cyl. If you don't have the other tools, this is by far the cheapest method that will get you the same results.

Old 04-29-2011, 10:49 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,862 Likes on 2,427 Posts

Bungo, there are various instruments of torture that can be used to assist bleeding. Check the hints and tips under the DIY Forum as there is a thread dealing with this very topic, imaginatively named Brake Bleeding Made Simple!

Old 04-30-2011, 02:23 PM
BungoBill
Road Captain
Smile

Originally Posted by grbrown
Bungo, there are various instruments of torture that can be used to assist bleeding. Check the hints and tips under the DIY Forum as there is a thread dealing with this very topic, imaginatively named Brake Bleeding Made Simple!
THANKS TO ALL FOR GREAT ADVICE & LINKS. Will be bleeding brakes over the next few days. Bungo

Quick Reply: 91 Ultra. Front Brake Bleeding question