EVO All Evo Model Discussion

reuseable oil filter

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 10:18 PM
farmersemail
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reuseable oil filter

does any one have any oppion on the reusable oil filters out there on the market. just wondering if they are good. i not to worryed about the clean up. they look good. i know it will take alot of oil changes to make up the differnts in cost. just asking for oppions if u got one thanks

Old 04-20-2011, 12:07 AM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 836 Likes on 449 Posts

I prefer to just chuck the filter away and be totally sure that the bad things have gone to the dump.

Old 04-20-2011, 12:12 AM
socalmoe
Tourer

Not worth the price, the hassle or the mess.

Old 04-20-2011, 04:16 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

I also have looked at them, but decided against. I am sure about reusable air filters, but have decided against reusable engine oile ones. A definite no here!

Old 04-20-2011, 06:49 AM
rgbch3b
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

definite "no" .

Old 04-20-2011, 06:58 AM
joe28
Cruiser

the resusebale filters will have to have some sort of screen that can be cleaned.
A cartridge filter has paper filters.
I try to buy the filter with the smallest filter paper holes, (to catch the small sheet floating @). (right now I using the Amsoil filters), don't ask me the micron # the coffee hasn't kicked in yet!
I really don't think the cleanable ones can filter the oil as well as the cartridge ones.
Think of a filter like a condom. It HAS to catch EVERYTHING or......! Would you use one a few times??
In a perfect world, you COULD use the cleanable filter, but from where I'm sitting this blue ball in space is FAR from perfect!
Joe
So many bikes, so few $$

Old 04-20-2011, 07:11 AM
Buckinfitch
Supporter
Received 4,082 Likes on 1,514 Posts

you'd have to be one broke dick dog or a lazy summabitch to go with a 'reusable' oil filter

Old 04-20-2011, 08:42 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 240 Likes on 161 Posts

I don't know about being lazy, as it will take more work to change and clean the oil filter then to just toss it. But if you lived in a country where an oil filter for your bike was hard to impossible to get, that would be the only situation I can see for using one.,,

Old 04-20-2011, 10:17 AM
stokes
Cruiser

You cant necessarily use "one with the smallest holes".My '97 Evo calls for a 25 or 30 micron filter.If I used the newer finer micron meant for the TC engine(either 5 or 10 micron,I forget which) it would cause oil pressure problems in my bike.The re-usable also has a magnet system to grab some particles.After trying to get a filter for my '97 and being told by the dealer that he doesnt carry the Evo filter anymore that I could just use the TC filter,I know thats not correct,so I decided to go with the re-usable one.I know I will never re-coup the cost and it is a little more work,but its only an extra couple minutes to rinse out the filter element.I also use a scavenger to be sure I get all the dirty oil out,so a couple minutes to clean it isnt an issue.Over the years I have done many oil changes without changing the filter because I was too lazy to go get a filter,or the dealer didnt have one,I always figured fresh oil with an old filter is better than not changing the oil.I did post this same question on another forum and got no negative replies other than its "too much work" or "you'll never re-coup the cost".The one I got has a "finned casing" which is supposed to help with cooling,if it does or not is not really important,but I figure it cant hurt.My oil pressure gauge always reads spot on now,it didnt always with a disposable filter,so I have to say its better with the re-usable.I would say if the price,mine was about $150 from J&P Cycles,doesnt offend you,then go for it.Sorry,but a simple "definate no" is an opinion,not enough to deter me.

Last edited by stokes; 04-20-2011 at 10:21 AM.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:10 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Many years ago all automotive filters were reusable. You took them off/apart and washed them and re-installed them. Nowadays they are advertising "re-usable filters" like they are the second coming of Christ. They state you will have more pressure and HP. The only way that you can have more HP and pressure is with less resistance (filtration). So for that reason we stay away from them. As far as the cooling, with the surface area that they have I doubt that any real benefits will be seen in that area.
Magnetic filters can be found at any Bikers Choice Dealer We bought a case of each about a month ago and use them whenever we can. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: reuseable oil filter