EVO All Evo Model Discussion

reuseable oil filter

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 04:12 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 846 Likes on 455 Posts

You can get Evo filters on ebay or a heap of other online sources...even your dealership should ship them to you.

The problem with resuable filters is the nature of aluminum particles, they turn into a sticky mass that can be very hard to dislodge properly and this bothers me.

Reusable filters is old-school technology, the motor industry has moved on from there and as a bike mechanic of 35 years experience I would say that it is a very bad idea.

Failure is an issue too, a disposable oil filter has a short life and so doesn't get a chance to fail...a reusable could be on the bike for 10 years and that will increase the likelihood of seal failure or screen issues....the screen can fall apart or even worse.....those nasty lttle particles that just keep building up on the screen.

No, I would never use one or recommend anyone to use one...that magnet is a gimmick too.

Old 04-20-2011, 05:38 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 20,237 Likes on 5,854 Posts

Originally Posted by miacycles
They state you will have more pressure and HP. The only way that you can have more HP and pressure is with less resistance (filtration).

Actually you can not have both...pressure is resistance to flow. More resistance would give you more pressure but less HP and vice versa. I would run one in a heartbeat if the price would come down. Opening the filter lets you "see" whats going on in your motor...besides if you are doing proper oil changes, you don't even need a filter...I have a 25 year old Craftsman riding lawnmower...air cooled...no filter...still runs like the day I bought it.

Old 04-20-2011, 05:57 PM
stokes
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Failure is an issue too, a disposable oil filter has a short life and so doesn't get a chance to fail...a reusable could be on the bike for 10 years and that will increase the likelihood of seal failure or screen issues....the screen can fall apart or even worse.....those nasty lttle particles that just keep building up on the screen."
Not a convincing enough argument,at least to me,not to use one."Failure" is a possibility on anything,if you get too much "nasty little particles" built up,you will see it.Hopefully, the break-in took care of most of the metal shavings,if parts are grinding to the point that the filter is getting clogged,I think you would have bigger problems going on.I aint saying the re-usable is better,but I dont see it being detrimental and I like the idea of not making a special trip to the dealer,who already has tried to convince me its okay to use the wrong filter.Even if,and I dont know that they do,my local auto parts guy had an equivalent filter,I wouldnt trust him that it wasnt for the TC engine.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:00 PM
Doug S
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

Tom

I have the same lawnmower I'll bet-cha, 18hp double lunger, Mower is Silver/grey???? Mine runs great...and moves 1.5 acres every week.

My wife's new Camry has a removable oil filter, you change just the element.

I'd run one on the bike but not at the cost they want and the magnet is a great idea. Those magnetic drain plugs sure pick up some metal "fuzz" so why wouldn't one in a filter??

D

Old 04-20-2011, 08:22 PM
topfuel7
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Flo brand stainless filter. I like it just because I can see what is going on in the engine and the oil seems to look cleaner now. From what I have read most motorsports teams and about all combustion engine aircraft run these filters. I think the aircraft people use them so they can keep tabs on the engine also. I read that the reason for better flow through the stailess filter is that it has a true micron rating. The oil flows straight across it and absolutely nothing bigger than the micron rating will pass. The paper filters have to filter through the folds to get the micron rating and it is not as consistent. The resistance is Kind of like blowing through a straw for a paper filter or blowing through a screen on a screen door for the reusable. Just my thoughts and reads about it.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:18 PM
farmersemail
Advanced
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by joe28
the resusebale filters will have to have some sort of screen that can be cleaned.
A cartridge filter has paper filters.
I try to buy the filter with the smallest filter paper holes, (to catch the small sheet floating @). (right now I using the Amsoil filters), don't ask me the micron # the coffee hasn't kicked in yet!
I really don't think the cleanable ones can filter the oil as well as the cartridge ones.
Think of a filter like a condom. It HAS to catch EVERYTHING or......! Would you use one a few times??
In a perfect world, you COULD use the cleanable filter, but from where I'm sitting this blue ball in space is FAR from perfect!
Joe
So many bikes, so few $$

Old 04-20-2011, 10:18 PM
farmersemail
Advanced

makes a lot of sence

Old 04-20-2011, 10:26 PM
farmersemail
Advanced

thanks for info that is what im runing in to if all i can get is the new filters then in my head i am doing more harm with bypass. this way i might be able to see meatal shavings be for it gets to bad i cant see in a throw away. sounds good in my head. thanks again i knew there would be some people that would be dead set on it but i think i will go for it.