EVO All Evo Model Discussion

OK so im stupid but figured it out!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011 | 06:18 AM
DrewCfromSC
|
Tourer
Default OK so im stupid but figured it out!

Ok, got a new to me 98 FLHT about a month ago. Got it home and it was parked about 2-3 weeks while life got in the way. Noticed it was starting to start slow and then the dreaded click click and nothing. So what do I do? Of course I think of the starter first and work my way backwards until finding out the battery had a low charge.
I even called the dealer (even though it was bought as is due to age) and found out the starter was fairly new, they offered advice and even to come pick it up and check it out but im wanting to do it myself. So I pull the battery and run a battery tender on it for a couple of days until the green light came on and it fires right up. Did not cost me a dime!
Ok onto the next stupid project for me and my bike!
Drew C from SC.

Old 04-10-2011 | 07:09 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member

What you need to ask yourself is why was the charge down? Then you need to fix that. Putting a tender on it is just masking the symptoms. If your charging system is getting weak, it will let you down when you least expect it. Look at my "how to diagnose your charging system" write up, recently reposted here somewhere again.

Old 04-10-2011 | 08:27 AM
DrewCfromSC
|
Tourer

Thanks! Great idea. The bike sat in the time out corner at the dealership for about 6 months before it sold. Talked to them and they said it just sat and sat and sat because no one could get a loan to buy it. But I will have it looked into!
Drew C.

Old 04-10-2011 | 09:23 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Default Check It Yourself!

Originally Posted by DrewCfromSC
Thanks! Great idea. The bike sat in the time out corner at the dealership for about 6 months before it sold. Talked to them and they said it just sat and sat and sat because no one could get a loan to buy it. But I will have it looked into!
Drew C.
Your bikes' charging system is a 12 Volt system, very easy to check! You would need a cheap volt/amp meter. A fully charged battery should read about 12.9 volts. (this being with the bike off and the meter hooked up to the battery - nothing on or running) Less than a 12.9 volt reading meens that the battery is partially discharged. LEAVING THE METER ATTACHED, start the bike up. The volt reading should jump to approxomately 14.5 volts. You may need to very slightly raise the idle to offset the drainage caused by the headlight and other accessories. Less than that meens that the charging system is not working properly.
IMO - personally I think that the battery should be changed irregardlessly every 4 years as standard maintenance.
Yeah Yeah I Know - To all you purists out ther, you can do a battery load test, check the amp reading and of course need to make sure all the obvious crap like loose or corroded cable connections don't exist, but mabey this can help.

Old 04-10-2011 | 10:40 AM
#1rocketman
Road Captain

The "Doc" is right. Make sure everything is good in the electrical department. But those batteries don't last forever and especially if they just sit and sit. I can't remember from your other threads/posts if your bike is carb'd or fuel injection but if it's a fuelie and that battery gets really low,it AIN'T gonna start.If it's a carb'd bike and you're out somewhere,sometimes help from other guys "pushing you or jumping you will get it goin, but those damn fuelie ones just won't start!