EVO All Evo Model Discussion

No oil in tranny or primary

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011 | 05:24 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member

man it looks like you took the scenic route, diverting through las vegas on your route. i just got an old fxr, 1992 and when i removed the primary cover there was only 4 ounces of primary oil in there. good luck with your bike.

Old 04-13-2011 | 05:27 AM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by 95yj
Already did that when I opened it up. There's not a lot of choices for oil and gear lube down here so I now have Harley Formula+ in both the trans and primary. Didn't change a thing as far as bearing noise goes.
Get the heaviest gear lube available, not motor oil or auto tranny fluid for a noisy tranny.

Old 04-13-2011 | 05:33 AM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by #1rocketman
which gear weight do you recommend? There's usually 2 at our auto parts store.
If your tranny is fine and temps are normally under 100 you can use the lighter of the two. If temps are over 90-100 and you normalyy ride hard , or two up then the use the heavier.

Old 05-24-2011 | 10:27 AM
95yj
|
Road Captain

Well, a while later, I checked everything again. Tranny was still full, primary was down a few ounces. It's not leaking anywhere, so it's gotta be getting pulled into the engine? Got scared since I had HD Formula + in the primary and I for sure don't want that crap in my engine. Changed out both the primary and engine oil for synthetic diesel oil and ran for about a week until I could get a hold of something else. (I live on an island and don't have a lot of choices of good oil.)

After a week, I was down a few ounces again in the primary. Tranny was still full. I drained all three holes and put Valvoline 75/140 full synthetic gear oil in the tranny and Mobile 1 V-Twin in the engine and primary. I still have all the bearing noise. I put almost 1000 miles on it and lost about four ounces of primary oil again.

Last night I started tearing into it. I thought the chain was stretched to the limit and had bought a new chain a while back. When I got the primary cover off, I could see I still have a lot of adjustment left. The shoe has three nice grooves in it though so I have an extra chain and still need to get an adjuster. I want to look at the seal behind the stator and also check the bearing in the clutch shell. I have the clutch mainshaft nut broken lose. I'm still working on the compensator nut. Have to run out and get a 1/2 drive breaker bar as my old one was ruined a while back and I just twisted the end off a 3/8 breaker bar with a 1/2 adapter on it. I would have thought the adapter would have went first. Don't know why the dealers impact the compensator nut on. It's supposed to be 150-165 ft-lbs, not as tight as they can possibly bang it on.

If the clutch shell bearing is good, then my original assessment that it's tranny bearings making all that noise is probably correct. Then I just have to stop my primary oil from disappearing.

Old 05-24-2011 | 11:10 AM
BB4xl
Road Master

Just out of curiosity what shop did you take it to? I live in the Cleveland area. I do most of my own work. If I have anything done I take it to a trusted Indy that I have known for over 25 years. To many dealers do not want to pay experienced techs and hire in experienced ones. Hope you find the problem.