EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Need muffler ideas

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 11:05 PM
JohnG3
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need muffler ideas

I have a 96 FLSTC (Heritage Softail) with Samson duals. The "muffler" part is a 1 7/8OD straight pipe with Ride Shack baffles. Still way too loud for my taste. A couple locals have stock mufflers off an 03 Road King and what he says will fit a 96 and newer Softtail. The price is good for either set. The problems I see are the mounting point is 6 inches further aft of the current mount and the mufflers are quite a bit heavier than the straight pipes with baffles. The current mount is a curved bar that mounts to the frame under the passenger pegs, then extends back 11 inches to the first muffler bolt. I afraid that if I the bracket 6 inches longer the additional weight of the mufflers and length of the bracket will cause the bracket to fail. What say the brain trust?

Old 04-07-2011, 01:12 PM
#1rocketman
Road Captain

I'm thinking you're right about the weight. My buddy has a 2003 Heritage Springer with Rhinehardt true duals with Rhinehardt mufflers(no baffles by the way)and it's the baddest sounding bike as anybodys,even the guys with the 2-1's.I'm thinking that the mufflers probably came with new mounting brackets.I called him but he wasn't sure since they were on the bike when he bought it.I know the original owner and if I can get ahold of him,I'll ask about it.I'm sure I'll see him out this weekend if your'e not in a huge rush.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:38 PM
#1rocketman
Road Captain

Just looked on JP Cycles exhaust for the Heritage softails.It looks as though the muffler brackets are where they should be for the softail mufflers and not back at the rear where the RoadKing type mufflers are.So,my suggestion would be to look for softail mufflers and not have to jerryrig some type of brackets.Try Ebay,new and used....
I just looked on ebay,heritage softail,mufflers,there's quite a few there,new and used.

Old 04-07-2011, 03:06 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Touring mufflers are completely different than softail mufflers. The locals are trying to sell you mufflers to get rid of them. Definitely look on eBay, there are tons of them for sale and cheap.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:19 PM
JohnG3
Advanced
Default Mufflers

Rocketman, thanks for the effort. The diffenences in mounting caused the concern. I will search Ebay. I didn't fine tune my earlier searches and got a bunch of mufflers that wouldn't fit.

Old 04-08-2011, 09:17 AM
#1rocketman
Road Captain

Originally Posted by JohnG3
Rocketman, thanks for the effort. The diffenences in mounting caused the concern. I will search Ebay. I didn't fine tune my earlier searches and got a bunch of mufflers that wouldn't fit.
you're welcome....let us know what you do and be sure to add some pics!