EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Dyno Jet kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 04:47 AM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 845 Likes on 454 Posts
Default Dyno Jet kit

I fitted a Dyno Jet kit...well, a Custom Chrome copy to my CV carby.......I left my 48 low speed jet in and went up to a 190 main and it ran fine over 2,000 RPM....very well actually and I was totally pleased with that part of it but it ran like a scabby dog below 2,000 and I had to wind my adjustable accelerator pump back as lean as it would go without the needle falling out to get to the shop to get a new low speed jet without fouling plugs.

So I changed my low speed jet to a 42, set the accel pump to 2 turns weaker than before the conversion and its fine, great even.....anybody else have any set up stories to share about dyno jet kits or similar?

Last edited by Spanners39; 04-06-2011 at 06:31 PM.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:19 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Hi from the UK! The only bikes I have tinkered with like that are my old Glide, when it was relatively new and I fitted a jet kit to it (now long behind us both!), also my Dyna when I did the same. The Evo was fine, but the DYna needed some expert help to get it running right. I must confess I turned to my local dealer, who sorted things out just fine.

Old 04-06-2011, 01:22 PM
gsxrboy96
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your running a stock motor, 48 is entirely to large, also. Try going back go the stock emulasion tube ....the aftermarket ones seem to draw differently then the oem ones, and last but not least, I'm not a fan of enlarging the vacuum hole in the slide,

Old 04-06-2011, 02:15 PM
2006FLST
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gsxrboy96
If your running a stock motor, 48 is entirely to large, also. Try going back go the stock emulasion tube ....the aftermarket ones seem to draw differently then the oem ones, and last but not least, I'm not a fan of enlarging the vacuum hole in the slide,
If you don't mind me asking, why are you not a fan on enlarging that vacuum hole? I was about to do it but have not yet. I was going to shim the needle up a bit as well.

Old 04-06-2011, 03:42 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Spanners, what adjustable accelerator pump are you talking about on a CV??

200FLST, drilling out the slide or putting in a weaker spring works much better on the track than it does on the street. It causes the slide to open up too soon, and can cause a "Sawtooth" line on the dyno as it fluctuates up and down. Do not shim the needle, just get the '88 Sporty needle, you will be much happier. Hope this helps.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:55 PM
07 dyna man
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by miacycles

200FLST, drilling out the slide or putting in a weaker spring works much better on the track than it does on the street. It causes the slide to open up too soon, and can cause a "Sawtooth" line on the dyno as it fluctuates up and down. Do not shim the needle, just get the '88 Sporty needle, you will be much happier. Hope this helps.
i agree 100 percent,,, dont drill the slide it causes it to flutter at low speeds kehin makes a kit around 40 bucks comes with a new needle a few slow jets and a couple of main jets ,,,the needle is where it counts,, no fuss no muss eaesy instrutions just look at the list for ur mods and it tells u what to use,, i had a sporty i bought for the wife and the slide was drilled huge main jet and a different slow jet and a lighter spring ,, it sputtered popped backfired ,,, put a new slide a stock spring and followed the sheet and i couldnt believe how the bike ran ,,, it ran flawlessly... dennis kirk jp cycles stock it

Old 04-06-2011, 06:40 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 845 Likes on 454 Posts

Boyesen Twin Shot...was on the bike when I got it from CA.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:17 AM
gsxrboy96
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What he said ....

Old 04-07-2011, 08:26 AM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Spanners39
Boyesen Twin Shot...was on the bike when I got it from CA.
Ah yes, almost forgot about them!!!!

Old 04-08-2011, 07:28 AM
JohndeereA
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't drill the slide!
If you want to try it I have a few that I removed I would make you a good deal
on.

Quick Reply: Dyno Jet kit