EVO All Evo Model Discussion

switching to singl side brake?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 05:26 AM
DrewCfromSC
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default switching to singl side brake?

Morning, getting ready to walk out the door to work. Saw a bike online that was like my 98 FLHT that had been converted to a single front brake with a 21" wheel. Does anyone here konw of a kit thats avalible to do this? It really looks clan and shows off the rim nicely. Will do more searching after work. thanks for your replies!
Drew C.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:44 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,864 Likes on 2,428 Posts

Drew,

I'm one of those who has fitted 13" full-floating rotors and 6-pot calipers, to stop this lot when we are fully loaded. I reckon my wife, kitchen sink and I roll along at close to half a ton. So while I admit the single-sided brake looks great, unless you have the grip of a gorilla to stop with just one front disc....

Old 03-23-2011, 06:45 AM
1990FXR
Advanced

i would NEVER purposely want LESS braking.........

but if youre dead set on it just remove the caliper and disk ...youll need a lower without the caliper mount and a new master cylinder.....

maybe a "hubcap" type of cover for that side of the wheel if you want to get fancy

Last edited by 1990FXR; 03-23-2011 at 06:49 AM.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:44 AM
96roadking
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1990FXR
i would NEVER purposely want LESS braking.........
+++1
I don't know if you ever had a panic stop with a big bike but I have to agree that I would not purposely lessen my chances for survival by going with less braking!

Old 03-23-2011, 09:52 AM
Mike T
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 96roadking
+++1
I don't know if you ever had a panic stop with a big bike but I have to agree that I would not purposely lessen my chances for survival by going with less braking!
I couldn't agree more. If all you're doing is putting around town, it'd probably be ok. At highway speeds you're asking for trouble.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:44 PM
DrewCfromSC
Tourer

Well said! Guess I will shop for a dual disc wheel now. Thank you all!

Old 03-23-2011, 10:41 PM
gsxrboy96
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i hate to go against the grain, but you guys act like the stock single piston calipers on that bike actually slowed it up...lol, if you want to do a single sided brake, theres a guy that sells chrome lowers with the calipers boss machined off, buy a nice performance machine four piston caliper and master cylinder and you will not have less braking than the factory, guaranteed.

Old 03-24-2011, 02:11 PM
1990FXR
Advanced

im actually running a PAIR of 4-pot nissin calipers as well as 13" floating rotors on my FXR

as I said "i would NEVER purposely want LESS braking........."

Old 03-25-2011, 06:47 AM
gsxrboy96
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1990FXR
im actually running a PAIR of 4-pot nissin calipers as well as 13" floating rotors on my FXR

as I said "i would NEVER purposely want LESS braking........."
Question ? Do you believe a single four piston or six piston aftermarket caliper with say a 13 rotor is LESS BRAKING than the factory own pieces that came on a 1998 flt? Just curious as to why you guys believe this is less braking ?

Old 03-25-2011, 07:48 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,864 Likes on 2,428 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by gsxrboy96
Question ? Do you believe a single four piston or six piston aftermarket caliper with say a 13 rotor is LESS BRAKING than the factory own pieces that came on a 1998 flt? Just curious as to why you guys believe this is less braking ?
I'm even more curious why you should suggest the opposite may be the case. The only way of properly resolving the matter would be with a dyno-like machine on which we could measure actual brake effectiveness under controlled conditions, for the various alternative set-ups.

In the real world a single-rotor uses a smaller diameter master cylinder to a twin rotor set-up. That's one variable. It would be interesting to know how much additional effort a 4-pot caliper actually gives over a twin-pot, ditto for a 6-pot. It certainly ain't twice and three times respectively! Do you have any real world data you can share?

I also doubt if a 1998 FLT with its stock brakes would break any braking records. Certainly my 1990 FLHS wouldn't, which is why I was determined to seriously improve them. I also use top-notch tyres to give me the best grip I can get on the road. I should add that my concern is stopping a fully loaded Glide with me, my wfe and the kitchen sink on board, close to half a ton of rolling metal and flesh. Even if you offered me a Buell front wheel with 8-pot caliper I would need some convincing to drop twin front brakes!

Unless you can offer some competently measured data to prove otherwise I am quite happy with my entrenched opinion!

Quick Reply: switching to singl side brake?