EVO All Evo Model Discussion

starter question

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 05:08 AM
DrewCfromSC
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starter question

Hello, got a new to me 98 FLHT carb model. Kinda got a silly question before I call the dealer. Bike rides fine but had a sinking feeling a couple of mornings ago. Went to start it and it went click. Ok I was not sitting on my bike and the kickstand was down with transmission in neutral (light was on). So I sat on it pulled in the clutch and it started right up. Does it have a safety switch possible to prevent starting when not on the seat or in gear? Maybe I did not push the switch button in far enough to engage? Dont want to be somewhere riding and it happen with the wife and myself. If so can it be push started?
If it needs a new starter (any way to check it out while on the bike?)is it a pretty easy replacement for a newbie. Just got a servie manual in the mail and have not had time to look.
c
Thanks! Drew C from SC.

Old 03-16-2011, 05:44 AM
btroy
Cruiser

The dreaded click, check your grounds. Happens alot. Do a search it has been covered a hundred times. Could be anything from a ground to low battery. I would not call the dealer you will be just throwing away $$. Do your homework and you will learn along the way.

Answer to your question....yes you can push it and pop the clutch and it should start.

Old 03-16-2011, 06:06 AM
95 Ultra
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As btroy says, could be several things. I would check all the grounds and connections under the seat. Clean 'em up good. They sell a solenoid cover with a push button that you can use for backup if the switch on the handlbars doesn't work. The cure for mine was a simple 6 dollar relay from AutoZone that I installed under the seat. Bike has started everytime since. You can do a search here. There's detailed directions for installing it. The problem is with the factory setup, the juice from the battery has to go through a lot of wiring and relays to get to the starter and it looses a little power along the way. With the added relay, it's my understanding that the juice goes directly from the battery to the starter. At any rate, check and clean all your connections, make sure your battery is fully charged, and go from there. Plenty of info here on the subject. I wouldn't go out and buy a starter, because that's probably not the problem.

Old 03-16-2011, 06:48 AM
Mike T
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DrewCfromSC
So I sat on it pulled in the clutch and it started right up. Does it have a safety switch possible to prevent starting when not on the seat or in gear?
On my Road King the clutch lever has to be pulled before it will start. Safety feature I guess.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:16 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 240 Likes on 161 Posts

I have to pull the clutch in on my '96 cop bike to start it.,,

Old 03-16-2011, 10:58 AM
bikerdude1903
Advanced

I think the cop bikes had the safety feature added, the normal production bikes don't have a safety switch on the clutch, I know from experience. I added one of the solenoid covers with the push button on my '96 Glide and it has always worked when I needed it. It's part of having a Harley.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:12 AM
V-Twins & Bowties
Road Warrior
Received 507 Likes on 279 Posts

As far as push starting. Yes you can if the battery is not dead, and you got alotta a$s.

Old 03-16-2011, 12:12 PM
#1rocketman
Road Captain

My ole 92 Ultra had the auxilary push button on the starter.There was a few times I was damn glad it was there! My 98 RK doesn't have to have the clutch pulled in.I've remembered those times I needed that push button and I may put one on the RK.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:34 PM
DrewCfromSC
Tourer

Thank you all! Im not sure how to multiquote so thanks for all the info. Gotta search to find the switch thing you talked about.
Drew C from SC.

Old 03-20-2011, 11:27 AM
MatSubZero
Cruiser

I don't know about the clutch, kickstand, or seat 'safety' switches but all that aside...
If the clicking is coming from the starter solenoid, you prolly have a prob with the solenoid or the starter & that tells me the starter button on the handle bars & the relay switch IS working. If the clicking is comming from the relay switch (under the seat), it could be a faulty relay switch OR solenoid. If there is no clicking, then it could be a faulty starter button OR a 'safety' switch. But like they say, check your connections first.

Quick Reply: starter question