EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Noise in fairing

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 04:16 AM
Muganic
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise in fairing

Hi all, I have an Electra Glide Classic that has an annoying squeaky sort of noise coming from the fairing. If I grab hold of the fairing about the join at the windscreen and pull hard the noise stops. Any experience with this anyone? Thanks

Old 02-25-2011, 05:04 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,868 Likes on 2,430 Posts

I thought you were all flooded and burned out down there, with other things on your mind! As for the noise either something has broken or come adrift. Later batwings have suffered broken internal mounting brackets, although I don't think Evos have. Take a deep breath and get inside it.

Old 02-25-2011, 05:38 AM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

That would drive me bananas, your going to have topull the wing and find the culprit.Its actually an easy job.

Old 02-25-2011, 06:05 AM
EVOrider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 278 Likes on 203 Posts

Starting in 1996, Harley redesigned the fairing. The two vertical brackets like to break at the top in the bend. Of course the two speaker brackets like to break as well. However, there is an updated speaker bracket that's not going to break, much better design.

Like others have said, just pull the fairing...it's easy.

Old 02-25-2011, 06:24 AM
Muganic
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all, yep I'll just do it. Thanks Graham but the floods are 2500km one direction and the bushfires 3500km the other direction thank God! My Evo was built 10/85 so the issues of the later ones should not be relevant, cheers

Old 02-25-2011, 06:48 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,868 Likes on 2,430 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Muganic
Thanks all, yep I'll just do it. Thanks Graham but the floods are 2500km one direction and the bushfires 3500km the other direction thank God! My Evo was built 10/85 so the issues of the later ones should not be relevant, cheers
It's difficult to remember that Australia is almost as big as the 48 States! Best of luck finding and sorting the problem. Keep us up to date!

Old 02-25-2011, 08:06 AM
drbillk
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on brackets. I had my speaker brackets break first, then the main support brackets. Instead of using the Harley brackets, I fashioned my own out of stiffer metal and bolted in. That fairing hasn't wiggled in ages! Rock solid.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:29 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,917 Likes on 1,430 Posts

Yeah, I went through that for a decade or two. It's a bit annoying, alright. Take the front of the faring off. Look at the cross bracket over the radio, bolted to the back half of the faring with 2 bolts on each end. Look closely at it where it goes next to another metal bracket at both ends. That's where the squeak was coming from. Take a Dremel brand moto-tool and make a round notch in the metal bracket where the 2 pieces come together. No more squeak.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:30 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,990 Likes on 19,391 Posts

Originally Posted by Muganic
Hi all, I have an Electra Glide Classic that has an annoying squeaky sort of noise coming from the fairing. If I grab hold of the fairing about the join at the windscreen and pull hard the noise stops. Any experience with this anyone? Thanks
I ran across this link that might help you. The bracket being broken is a common problem on the earlier units.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUg531sk39U

Old 02-25-2011, 10:31 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 161 Posts

My '96 police bike had the same broken brackets. What I did was go to sears hardware and buy two angle brackets. They were a little heavier then what they guy in the video sells, and some self tapping screws. I put the angle bracket where the screw goes in the fairing, lined up the hole in the angle bracket to the broke piece, and ran the self tapping screw in. Cost about $4 for enough to do both sides.,,

Quick Reply: Noise in fairing