oil pump drive gear...

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 02:22 PM
jsbridgew
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default oil pump drive gear...

hey folks,

i'm trying to remove the oil pump drive gear... not the first one you encounter when removing the oil pump cover, but the next one behind the oil pump body.... there isn't a retaining ring on this one...seems like it should just slide off....what gives?...anyone know? ....only thing i can think of the woodruff key is binding it up against the shaft

also...it's obvious why i gotta change it....here's a pic

Attached Thumbnails oil pump drive gear...-opdrvgear.jpg  
Old 02-24-2011, 10:20 AM
dan1911
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah pretty obvious. in my experience, that gear is always tight. you can gently tap the shaft in a little, to give yourself a little room between the gear and case.

Old 02-24-2011, 03:09 PM
jsbridgew
Road Warrior

i did finally get it, dan....i hit it with some heat and gently tapped in between the gear and the case with a sharp putty knife...finally budged out, and then just carefully took my time working it off the shaft

you think the gear is bad, you should see the oil pump body.... remnants of a spun cam case bearing got circulated

Old 02-24-2011, 04:22 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,892 Likes on 1,422 Posts

You're supposed to replace that bearing before that happens, doode.

I wuz gonna suggest some vice grips. It's not like you're gonna screw up that gear.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:38 PM
jsbridgew
Road Warrior

indeed, dr. hess.... i wish i had the previous owner in front of me so i could tell him..lol

explained why the engine had adjustable pushrods in her with stock cam!

Old 02-25-2011, 06:17 AM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You might as well pull the nose cone, and replace the oil pump shaft. That would also allow you to take apeek in there while you are at it. It could save you a lot of problems down the road!!!!

Old 02-25-2011, 09:17 AM
jsbridgew
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by miacycles
You might as well pull the nose cone, and replace the oil pump shaft. That would also allow you to take apeek in there while you are at it. It could save you a lot of problems down the road!!!!
... oh i'm in there.... shaft and gear are fine

this here is no doubt the result of a stock INA cam bearing

Old 03-06-2011, 04:30 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

i'm going to get into the oil pump and nose cone in a few days myself on my 92 fxrp. i just traded an older kawasaki concours for it last night. i'm really glad i found this bike. the guy who had it said it started ticking, so he shut it off. i looked where there should have been gaskets, and he had used some kind of "seal all" sort of glue. that's okay, i plan on opening it up, seeing what it needs, repairing it properly, and of course replacing the ina cam bearings with torrington/timkens, as well as using the proper gaskets rather than some sort of glue. there are just some people who shouldn't be allowed to operate a screwdriver or pliers.
so what all did you have to do to get your oil pump working? and was there a lot of junk in your oil?

Old 03-06-2011, 06:29 AM
jsbridgew
Road Warrior

well, i had to trash the oil pump .... just wasn't salvageable considering the damage the debris had done to the body

also, whatever debris got circulated through there ended up in the breather cavity.... breather was fine, since it's made of steel...but the breather cavity was gouged up pretty badly....it can be reamed out .030 over... Jims makes a tool, but it's about 700.00...yikes!

so i start calling around some indy shops.... they can do the job, but i'll need to split the cases, which wouldn't be a problem really, except i don't have the tools to pull everything apart.... plus, the cases are filthy... they'd need to be blasted and powdered.... so lots of running around, lots of time... and of course, money

in the end, i decided to get new cases.... was going to do it through harley, but the dealership was incessant with trying to sell me a whole engine.... turned me off, big-time.....so, i got a S&S case on the way and will have a local indy just swap everything