EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Are dealerships crazy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 03:53 PM
billzflhtc
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Are dealerships crazy?

I decided to get some prices to do a lil work on my old 86 glide. I called an indy about tires etc and he gave me what sounded like reasonable price. He also suggested some maintenence that i have not and cant do at home.
Well my dad thought i should call the stealership about same work and maybe doing the base gaskets. They were 50 bucks more a tire and about 800 more on labor! Are they frickin crazy!

Old 02-17-2011, 04:11 PM
EVOrider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 278 Likes on 203 Posts

Well, tires are just expensive...plain and simple. Doesn't even matter whom the manufacture might be. I usually purchase my tires ahead of time online to get the best deals...however sometimes I'll purchase them from a dealership. They do need customers to stay in business.

As much as I hate dealership prices...I also understand that it takes alot to stay open as well. Employees, overhead, and plenty other expenses....all add up.

Old 02-17-2011, 04:19 PM
sr_smyth
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

To be the Devils advocate on this one, some perspective. I run a Peterbilt dealership and yes, the Indy guy across the street is 20 -25$ per hour cheaper labour rate so i hear what your saying. What he doesnt have to do is things like mandatory dealer training, mandatory vendor training, in our case Cat, Cummins, Eaton and Peterbilt engines x at least 2 guys per shift, pay software charges of about 1500$ a month from each engine manufacturer, Peterbilts mandatory dealer overhead costs plus my guys get about 10 bucks an hour more than his get. Over the course of a week, all that adds up. Im assuming HD Dealers have a similar nut to crack.
So maybe they arebt nuts, just trying to stay alive like we are
just saying

Old 02-17-2011, 04:26 PM
vistavette
Stellar HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 129 Posts

A lot depends on where you live/shop too. I called Henderson HD for a price on a service; they quoted me $625. A dealer in AZ was $350 and its the same service. Some dealers just squeeze because they think they can.

Old 02-17-2011, 05:22 PM
Havoc88
Cruiser

I do alot of my own work, however I see both side, like some others I can save enough buying tires on-line that it basically alows me to have them mounted and balanced for free and the local indy shop is 10.00 less for each tire. When I was shopping for SE Heads this winter I shopped around, took the add in for another dealership (not an Indy) and asked the owner to "meet" the price so I can keep my money local. He told me he sets ALL his prices at 10% over MSRP and if I didnt like it I could feel free to take my money somewhere else... I think I've spent about 20 bucks in his shop on a $4500.00 rebuild... oh well, thats my story

Old 02-17-2011, 05:24 PM
Moog Player
Road Captain

Back when the dealers were not forced to become boutiques and huge edifices, you get get good service at a decent rate at many of them. The costs of business were much lower. Now, you are paying for all that expensive crap that has (To me) no business in a motorcycle shop.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:21 PM
topfuel7
Cruiser

I could see the extra cost if you actually got more for your money at the dealership. I do all my own work but what I hear from friends and online forums is that most of the time you get a better quality service from an Indy or just reading a manual and doing it yourself.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:27 PM
1bd99stc
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some dealers are a rip off, I believe the price will depend on how bad they need the work. I just bought a cam from the local dealership because he was actually the same price as I could find it online and I didn't have to pay shipping.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:33 PM
billzflhtc
Cruiser

Well, I am not sayin I wont go to them. Ive seen some of their work and it is good. But They are askin 50 more a tire for same tire than even the indy ordering it for me much less me ordering them. The work quote was 10 hrs at dealer the same work quote was 6 hrs at indy

Old 02-17-2011, 09:31 PM
Bama91
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dealership just closed down. Said they couldn't get bikes from HD (that = BS). They were way overpriced and wanted to jack up prices if you didn't finance thru them. (I looked at a Harley Sportster 48 Base price 10,499 suddenly went up to 12,499 when I opted for bank financing. They were gonna charge me 800 additional shipping to haul it 19 miles from 1 dealership to another) I also looked at some used ones and one was banged up (dented tank and front fender) And was told a shelf in the service area fell on it but I would have to pay to have it repaired ($1600) after I bought it. Glad they are gone.

Quick Reply: Are dealerships crazy?