EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Stripped hole in inner primary

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011 | 09:02 AM
96roadking
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by grbrown
Ah! Seems you're as well set up as you could possibly be!
Yes, with the exception of having an unheated, detached garage, which is built into a hill and with the thaw we've had for a few days, I have an inch of water standing under my bike. I have to work from a short chair with rubber boots on and can't set anything on the floor! It is an improvement over the below zero temps we had last week though!

Old 02-15-2011 | 10:07 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mike T
I use an old 110 volt 1/2 in. drive impact wrench to remove the compensator nut. It'll put an air wrench to shame.
Same here.

Of course I did that after I tried the breaker bar routine. With the breaker bar I leaned across the tank grabbed that ***** and let out a grunt that would make Tim Taylor proud. I lifted my feet right off the ground. I felt a snap in my chest that felt like I had just broke some ribs and punctured a lung. That injury made me (real) sore for days.

And don't forget to use locktight to re-secure it. Oh and take the block out right after tightening it down. I almost closed up my primary with the gear block left in it....duh!

Old 02-15-2011 | 10:11 AM
96roadking
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by JohnnyC
Same here.

Of course I did that after I tried the breaker bar routine. With the breaker bar I leaned across the tank grabbed that ***** and let out a grunt that would make Tim Taylor proud. I lifted my feet right off the ground. I felt a snap in my chest that felt like I had just broke some ribs and punctured a lung. That injury made me (real) sore for days.

And don't forget to use locktight to re-secure it. Oh and take the block out right after tightening it down. I almost closed up my primary with the gear block left in it....duh!
Thanks, JohnnyC, I've made enough mistakes on my job over the years to regale this forum for days. I've learned from most of them but unfotunately I never stop learning!

Old 02-15-2011 | 01:24 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by 96roadking
Thanks, I've got a chunk of hard black rubber that I ground to a wedge shape that I intend to try and I've got access to 3/4 drive stuff at work, I'll give that a try. Where does one buy "timeserts" at? Well, I found them on-line, but i see that Fastenal has them and they have a store about 1/4 mile from work. I was trying the Comp nut with an impact because that was prescribed by the service manual. Thanks again for the help.
We have Fastenal here as well but they wanted more than double the supplier wanted, I went right to the time-sert site for mine http://www.timesert.com/

Old 02-15-2011 | 01:47 PM
96roadking
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by RidemyEVO
We have Fastenal here as well but they wanted more than double the supplier wanted, I went right to the time-sert site for mine http://www.timesert.com/
Yes, I know what you mean about Fastenals' pricing. Since I have access to the whole Heli-coil setup, I'll probably use that. It's not quite as critical as a head bolt. I'll get it apart first and take a good look at it before I decide for certain, though.

Old 02-15-2011 | 01:48 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member

I have noticed that Fastenal seems kinda proud of their stuff. When I can order it from McMaster.com and have it in the next day or two, cheaper than Fastenal even with shipping, that just isn't going to work. And they have struck out on me the last 3-4 times I've been there.

And Graham, the Helicoil kits come with everything you need: Just the right size drill bit, tap, little plastic tool, hand full of coils to loose in your tool box drawer. They aren't that expensive in the common sizes, such as would be used in this application, but for just one or an odd ball size, it may be cost effective to sub it out. I still prefer to do it myself.

Last edited by Dr.Hess; 02-15-2011 at 01:54 PM.
Old 02-15-2011 | 04:43 PM
BungoBill
Road Captain
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Mike T
I use an old 110 volt 1/2 in. drive impact wrench to remove the compensator nut. It'll put an air wrench to shame.
Got to agree with you. Ive tried the 3ft long bars etc. and always had problems getting Comp.Nut to slacken. I use the Impact Wrench like yourself and it is really easy. Doesnt damage your back or bones like the bar can.!
I know H.D dont recommend using the Impact Wrench but thats what I will use when necessary. Always better,I think, to have a NEW Comp.Nut beside you,in case you need it.

Old 02-15-2011 | 06:09 PM
96roadking
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Okay, made an attempt at removing the compensator nut and failed! That dang thing is right handed thread, right? I thought I was gonna tip the bike over along with the jack! Looking in the service manual I cannot see anywhere where it says the comp nut is left handed.

Old 02-15-2011 | 06:47 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member

Compensator nut is right hand thread. Clutch hub nut is left hand.

Old 02-15-2011 | 06:54 PM
96roadking
|
Outstanding HDF Member

I thank you good doctor! (livingstone, I presume)

Quick Reply: Stripped hole in inner primary