1996 Electra-Fuel injection

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 05:57 AM
Brettfullthrottle
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
Is it a 97 model made late 96?
Thats what I was thinking-I was told the bike had one owner with all the work done at the stealership (Oil changes HAD to get expensive!) I will have to have a better look at the paperwork this next week-I do like the fact of having the records as well as the low mileage! If the MMFI does get to be too much of a hassle,it sounds like it wouldn't be too tough to switch it to a carb....

Old 02-12-2011, 06:14 AM
EVOrider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 278 Likes on 203 Posts

My '98 was loosing its idle settings every six months. However, it finally went over a year without loosing its idle this time. I put di-electric grease on every electrical connection! I also used locktite on the hot and cold idle screws.

Old 02-12-2011, 06:33 AM
Mike T
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You guys check this out and tell me what you think. Is it possible they've designed a way to reprogram 95-96 Magnetti Morelli ecu's,or does this just work on 97 and up... http://cgi.ebay.com/Harley-DirectLin...item1e617f8e8d

Old 02-12-2011, 07:16 AM
Moog Player
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'mcollecting all the parts to convert my 96 to carb. My BIGGEST complaint is the horrid fuel economy of the MMFI. I should be able to get better than 35mph. I'm just a few small bits and some time away from the project. My MMFI works fine otherwise. (1996CLHTCUI)

Old 02-12-2011, 07:24 AM
Brettfullthrottle
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Moog Player
I'mcollecting all the parts to convert my 96 to carb. My BIGGEST complaint is the horrid fuel economy of the MMFI. I should be able to get better than 35mph. I'm just a few small bits and some time away from the project. My MMFI works fine otherwise. (1996CLHTCUI)
Have you installed a race-tuner? Put it on the dyno? Sounds pretty harsh!

Old 02-12-2011, 04:32 PM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,787 Likes on 891 Posts

Originally Posted by Brettfullthrottle
Have you installed a race-tuner? Put it on the dyno? Sounds pretty harsh!
The SERT reprograms the stock ECM through a CD programmed PC or laptop and is actually a weapon but it does take a good patient dyno/afr tuner to dial it in, they have starter maps like the Powercomander but needs tuned in with some wide open dyno runs, the SERT is upgradable to the more advanced TTS mastertune and another path to travel.
The only thing about the Sert is any mod needs to go back to the dyno guy $$$$$$$ and more wide open runs, Sert attaches itself to the ecm and can't be used on another bike, if you don't get the SERT/dongle with the bike, you have to purchase another one to make changes $$$$$$$$

Daytona Sensors makes a system called Wego3 that is a data recording system and can tune a Powercommander USB yourself, it collects data in a Powercommander format and AFR tables, you can calculate the AFR changes needed and reload the Powercommander table back into the PC USB module, Daytona Sensors also makes a TwinTEC system that uses the same data recording info and can tune a Sert(race tuner), they both read a O2 sensor installed in the exhaust and records while you ride, the downfall is it can take along time to get it right because reversion of the Harley exhaust can make the readings inaccurate at lower speeds while deaccellerating, it is still recording AFR's and fresh air is being drawn into the exhaust and you have a lean reading, it will be blended into the normal riding recordings causing inaccurate AFR's in that area.
I'm just passing on the confusing world of EFI tuners

Mike T, I have heard of the Direct Link but have no idea what it takes to load it, not a very popular deal for some reason.

Old 02-12-2011, 05:11 PM
JimMA
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a '98 RKC with MM FI. A local indie dialed it in a couple years ago and it runs great. I get about 48 mpg on avg. I brought it in last year for him to do whatever it needed, he drove it and sent me home without a bill. I like it.

Old 02-12-2011, 05:37 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,815 Likes on 3,170 Posts

My '98 Ultra ran very well with a modified motor and power commander for 65,000 miles.
My '00 FLTRSEI came with the 95" kit and Stage 2 download which also ran flawlessly. The gear drive cam swap last month necessitated adjusting the cold idle and worked fine the first time I tried the adjustment. 45 mpg consistently. Currently 83,000 miles and climbing. Both bikes MM fuel injection.

Old 02-13-2011, 07:36 AM
Moog Player
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

96 is it's own creature. It is not programable. The few things available that piggyback to it only increase fuel. They are not able to trim back. 97 and up are a bunch better. The first year of anything always sucks.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:22 AM
Brettfullthrottle
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Moog Player
96 is it's own creature. It is not programable. The few things available that piggyback to it only increase fuel. They are not able to trim back. 97 and up are a bunch better. The first year of anything always sucks.
Like I said before,thats the interesting part-It had a power commander and then they downloaded a HD race tuner! I will look at her today and let you know what I find.....

Quick Reply: 1996 Electra-Fuel injection