EVO All Evo Model Discussion

starter clutch? maybe? ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 01:58 PM
1990FXR
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starter clutch? maybe? ideas?

my 1990 FXR has had a problem since I've bought it in that when it is hot (but ONLY when hot) it doesnt want to crank

the starter spins but only makes a "wirrr" noise like the bendix isnt kicking out....after a couple tries it usually fires up

all the research ive done leads me to believe it might be the one-way bearing in the starter clutch assembly but I havent come across anyone else having this problem ONLY when hot....

seems that based only on what ive read that if it was the starter clutch it would do it all the time....right??....or no not necessarily?

ill have the primary apart to install mid-controls and would really like to fix this problem then.......

anybody have any other ideas besides the starter clutch??

thanks scott

Old 02-04-2011, 02:46 PM
rkgreen
Intermediate

Sounds like a starter clutch, mine only did it when hot also, it's a easy fix, new sarter clutch is about $ 90.00 bucks and about an hour to replace it...where the starter comes apart take a razor knife and cut the paint first so it doesn't rip apart.

Old 02-04-2011, 05:31 PM
1990FXR
Advanced

good deal.....i'm glad i ran across someone who had the exact same issues...

all ***** racing ones are only about $75 ,,,,,i think i'll order one up ......

funny.....they make the "all *****" one aout 10 miles from me (love supporting a local company) but they dont sell to the public......i have to get one through my indy who has to order it from someone else LOL

Old 05-14-2011, 07:17 PM
fredjr71@gmail.com
1st Gear

I'm having the same problem, where did you order the "All ***** Racing Starter Clutch" from?

Old 05-15-2011, 11:26 AM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Just did #3 starter clutch at 103K. I was out on the road, so a dealer did it. I would like to know if the aftermarket units are more reliable.

Old 06-05-2011, 10:50 AM
bgh4hrlyd
Advanced

Got an older bike, 1985 FXWG, kept hearing starter spin, solenoid kick out, so, have a cut away of an older outer primary that I put on, only 2 bolts, to see what the starter clutch was doing. Its engaging, but only the shaft is spinning. I took the shaft out, got the nut off the end, its left handed, but the collar behind it doesnt want to come off, should just slip off, but seems to catch on the threads, wont screw off, wont slide off. Manual doesnt give much info, just says remove it. Not sure what to do. Ive had the bike 14 years now, rebuilding it the last 2 off and on. Learned some about this thing, mostly parts are sorta hard to find. Any ideas about the collar?

Old 06-05-2011, 04:46 PM
Bama91
Tourer

The collar should slip off. I have 2 different collars in my box, one slips on with a nut and one threads on with no nut.

Old 06-06-2011, 05:19 AM
bgh4hrlyd
Advanced

Had to tap it off with pliers behind it but it came off. ordered it and the nut, new starter drive, new collar, and new thrust washer. bearing in primary and primary cover almost new. Thanks.

Old 06-06-2011, 05:02 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,864 Likes on 2,428 Posts

Mine has made an occasional strange noise recently. I replaced my starter clutch many years ago, but I really don't recall what the symptoms were! It was straight-forward enough to do and seems I may be doing it again before long. I took time out to clean inside the starter thoroughly while it was off the bike.

Old 06-25-2011, 06:46 PM
bgh4hrlyd
Advanced

Thats what mine was, replaced it. Now, I have a new hi torque starter, new Big Boar battery, new All ***** battery cables, new gears actually on both ends of the jackshaft, new solenoid, but the bike still wants to just kick the pinion gear out and the starter wont spin. Sometimes hit the starter button 8-10 times before it spins. Going to pull the old woven ground strap and use one of the old hot wires and do a new ground on my frame to see if that helps, but thats tomorrow when it gets a little cooler. Is there anything else that might cause this, maybe old wiring?

Quick Reply: starter clutch? maybe? ideas?