EVO All Evo Model Discussion

80" top end refresh-what else should I consider?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 11:28 AM
THE98CLASSIC
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 80" top end refresh-what else should I consider?

Have a 98 eg classic. Stock bottom end 68k on it. I had the top end off 2 years and like 15k ago. Had low compression on front cyclinder. I had the cylinders honed and installed new rings. I also bought used branch heads. Had those re-conditioned at a harley dealer. They replaced exhaust valves and guides on both heads along with a valve job. I re-assembled along with an ev-27 cam, cometic head gaskets, and a sreamin eagle ignition, and thunderslide kit for the cv, compression check in a about 9.25 to 1. The heads were not shaved. Klock werks double back head pipes(duals) round out the mods. Went for the look of the pipes and not as much for performance. I know 2-1 would help, not sure yet if I want one.
So ahead to last summer, was starting to get random puffs of smoke out of front cylinder, figure guide problem(fluke maybe). Compression was good. I am going to take the whole top end off again. Taking it in and having them check out the heads again and bore cylinders, fit new rings and pistons, possible bumping compression near 10 to 1. Also having them check rocker arm assemblys, ect. I want this bike to be a reliable as a new one.
There are NO other motor mods than the ones I have listed. What else should I consider for slightly better performance and maybe more reliability as long as I am in there. Not looking to change my combo, just add to it. Thanks for all the replies in advance.

Old 01-30-2011, 11:36 AM
98 FLHX
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

10:1 might be a bit much for the EV27...
May want to consider your cam options..

This might help.

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/h...o_byman_ql.htm

Old 01-30-2011, 11:49 AM
Mike T
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 98 FLHX
10:1 might be a bit much for the EV27...
May want to consider your cam options..

This might help.

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/h...o_byman_ql.htm
Andrews EV46 or Crane 326 for 10:1 compression.

Last edited by Mike T; 01-30-2011 at 11:52 AM.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:24 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Was it puffing smoke all the time or just on start up with enrichner engaged?
There's a big differnce between just honing for a new set of rings and boring oversize for new pistons and rings.

Old 01-30-2011, 12:45 PM
98 FLHX
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike T
Andrews EV46 or Crane 326 for 10:1 compression.
V-Thunder 3040 shouldn't be overlooked, either.
Timing events are similar (17/45-50/22), although slightly different, duration a bit shorter(242/252), (EV46 is not a split duration cam @ 246/246) slightly less overlap(39), LSA @ 104, and a bit more lift @ .510"
Not the slightest ping, no hard starts...
I've found it to be a suprisingly good cam, gobs of power, and whisper quiet.
Just my two cents....

Last edited by 98 FLHX; 01-30-2011 at 02:03 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:55 PM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,791 Likes on 892 Posts

I have to follow these guys leads on the raised compression and EV27, the 36 intake closing will have it on the edge of a ping monster. I have 10-1 with a Woods W6H @ 40 intake closing and will ping on the first 2 ignition settings, set on the third and one less aggressive setting left, the earlier intake closing EV27 might make it in a light bike but a big bike loaded, heat would sound like a bag of marbles.
I've attached Branch/Okeefe website with Andrews cam/compression recommendations which are a little soft but they have to stand behind their products.

http://www.branchokeefe.com/products...keefecams.html

You might be able to do something as simple as a .030 headgasket and reinstall the heads or have someone do the math and get your engine in the 190 cold crank compression range with the EV27 and save money from a cam purchase and change your primary gearing.
Changing the primary gearing to 3.37 final will help with accelleration, puts a big bike in (or close, depends on build) the sweet spot area @ 55 mph that helps removes the 4/5 gear split dead area, eliminates riding the clutch (big bike) on takeoff also. 2 ways of doing it in the primary, depends on teeth wear.

Last edited by 1997bagger; 01-30-2011 at 02:58 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:13 PM
THE98CLASSIC
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RidemyEVO
Was it puffing smoke all the time or just on start up with enrichner engaged?
There's a big differnce between just honing for a new set of rings and boring oversize for new pistons and rings.
Mostly on decel or between shifts. Sometimes consistant, other times not at all.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:22 PM
Mike T
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 98 FLHX
V-Thunder 3040 shouldn't be overlooked, either.
Timing events are similar (17/45-50/22), although slightly different, duration a bit shorter(242/252), (EV46 is not a split duration cam @ 246/246) slightly less overlap(39), LSA @ 104, and a bit more lift @ .510"
Not the slightest ping, no hard starts...
I've found it to be a suprisingly good cam, gobs of power, and whisper quiet.
Just my two cents....
You have a good set-up. I was just trying to help cover the bases.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:26 PM
THE98CLASSIC
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 1997bagger
I have to follow these guys leads on the raised compression and EV27, the 36 intake closing will have it on the edge of a ping monster. I have 10-1 with a Woods W6H @ 40 intake closing and will ping on the first 2 ignition settings, set on the third and one less aggressive setting left, the earlier intake closing EV27 might make it in a light bike but a big bike loaded, heat would sound like a bag of marbles.
I've attached Branch/Okeefe website with Andrews cam/compression recommendations which are a little soft but they have to stand behind their products.

http://www.branchokeefe.com/products...keefecams.html

You might be able to do something as simple as a .030 headgasket and reinstall the heads or have someone do the math and get your engine in the 190 cold crank compression range with the EV27 and save money from a cam purchase and change your primary gearing.
Changing the primary gearing to 3.37 final will help with accelleration, puts a big bike in (or close, depends on build) the sweet spot area @ 55 mph that helps removes the 4/5 gear split dead area, eliminates riding the clutch (big bike) on takeoff also. 2 ways of doing it in the primary, depends on teeth wear.
Looks like I should stay more near 9.5 to 9.75 to 1. I would almost prefer that anyway. I got to the 9.25 now with using a thinner head gasket. I like not having to worry about getting lower octane fuel on a trip somewhere and have a whole tank that pings.
I was just checking out the gearing thing the other day. What are my options? money? How much rpm am I gaining at hwy speed?

Old 01-30-2011, 07:30 PM
THE98CLASSIC
Intermediate

Not really thinking about a cam change, really just want to get everything out of what i have. I have run this combo for 15k and I really like it. I am going to get it tuned on a dyno when done this time, I'm sure that will help quite a bit too.

Quick Reply: 80" top end refresh-what else should I consider?