Looking at this EVO

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 09:39 PM
Nbarre12
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at this EVO

Whats up everybody,

New to the forum, but I figured this would be a pretty good place to get some questions answered. I found a bike that caught my interest, its a 2000 custom rigid frame, its got a 1340 EVO, baker trans, mikuni carb and a few other little add ons I believe, I am waiting to get a complete list of stuff thats been done to it from the owner, its nothing too drastic that I know of, but again.. who knows. I can send pics to an e-mail if someone would like to see it. Anyway, Ill probably end up riding down to check out the bike this upcoming weekend, what are some things I should be looking for with this bike as far as things that may warn me against getting the bike.. its got less than 2000 miles on it, and its been sitting for a while from what I can tell.. he said he's only put around 200 miles on it in the past 2 years. Also, its got an open primary and all that.. and Ive never ridden with one, however Ive heard that people get their pant legs sucked up into that.. is that somethin where its more of a "dont be a bone-head and you wont have to worry about it" type of thing? Anyway what are the thoughts out there on this whole set up? Im active duty military, and am getting ready to deploy for a bit, but Ill be back in July and am looking to actually buy around then.. right now Im just looking!

Thanks!

Old 01-23-2011, 09:50 PM
Nautilus
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A 2000 custom rigid frame? well... for starters.. u tell me that and it is definitely a custom build since it got rid of it's suspended original frame... u should get the year of the engine if it indeed is a genuine evo... as for the mileage... finding a 2000 mile evo is quite a catch! but since it is a custom build.. u have some ways to go... one would be... they put in a new speedometer and didn't adjust it accordingly to the real mmileage... or they did that and put a new remanufactured evo engine...
check the engines vin... 2000 miles on an evo is quite fishy in my opinion... but if engine is remanufactured, as harleys program, than it is not bad at all...
also, take it for a rid... see if u like the rigid mount and the amount of vibration ur gonna feel from the EVOL engine... as far as warning u about the bike... well... cam bearing depends on the year of the engine... that's the first thing u should change...
u should post a pic in here so we might give u more hints...

Old 01-23-2011, 10:02 PM
Sadthorn
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kick the tires, check the oil for dirtiness and capacity. Just test drive it. That's all you can do. Listen for any clicking or noises that don't hum along with the way the engine runs as it's going down the road. Do some roll ons and deccel to check engine behavior. These are some of the things you can do on the test drive. Oh make sure it's got the title all straight if it's a custom so your not stuck with excessive fees from your local DMV when registering it. Good luck!

Old 01-24-2011, 02:44 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Welcome to HDF!

With a Baker trans and that low mileage it seems more likely to me it will be an after-market 'evo' style engine, rather than a Harley one. Could be entirely 'new' from the ground up! If a custom bike is your thing and this one ticks all the boxes, then buy it. Take a buddy with you, as a second pair of eyes. He will see things you don't!

Old 01-24-2011, 07:58 AM
95 Ultra
Tourer

You don't say what the price is, but as cheap as these evos are selling for now, why not buy you a good low mileage stock evo and customize it to your own taste. One that someone else hasn't torn apart and put back together. I owned a bike with a hardtail frame years ago. It looked great and was ok for boulevard cruising, but to ride any distance at all, it was just flat out uncomfortable. Just my opinion. Thousands of great deals on stock evos out there.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:04 AM
hotrod351
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

ive run a open belt for years. the only thing i could see in getting your pant leg sucked in would be one of those covers that cover the very front of the belt where your heel would be, not sure what they call them, heel protector i guess. id recommend that is has the side belt cover.Looking at this EVO-belt-cover-done1.jpg

Old 01-25-2011, 04:30 AM
NutterFLH
Cruiser

Buying used EVO as a first bike is not easy if You don`t know Harleys. Find someone in Your area who rides Harleys, especially Evo`s and ask him if he could go to see the bike with You.

Old 01-25-2011, 05:49 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 20,316 Likes on 5,873 Posts

Ride it on a rough road and you will see why it only has 2000 miles on it

Old 01-25-2011, 06:38 AM
mystery pan
Intermediate

Don't let the non-shock riders scare you away, two of the three bikes I have are rigid and have open primaries. And will gladly drive down any road. Nothing wrong with a custom bike. Take it out for a ride, listen for any unusual noises and you will get a little bit of noise from the primary when you pull in the clutch. The big thing is when some of these guys build bikes is the wiring ie. blinkers, stop, run etc. Don't know your state for these so check. It would be great to see some pics of this machine and what dollar amount. Hope this helps. MP

Old 01-25-2011, 10:57 AM
#1rocketman
Road Captain

Definately go take a look,but I agree,take a second pair of eyes,preferably someone that knows Harleys pretty well and preferably,Evos.If you're not buyin till mid summer,keep your options open.I live down in the Ozarks and check out Craigslist in my area.St.Louis,I've seen alot of really good deals.Last week a guy had a 2002 Softail with only 12,000 miles and was only asking $6500,he had health and financial issues.It sold the 1st day.I like the look of customs but at my age,i want those shocks! Especially for 2 up riding.If you don't plan on any long distance riding all the time then this can be a real bar hopper.Just take your time.

Quick Reply: Looking at this EVO