EVO All Evo Model Discussion

rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 03:06 PM
clove07
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rebuild

I have a 94 heritage I am fixing to completely trick out. Any suggestions on the motor and carburator as far as what to do and use. I want rebuild the motor I want more power. should I bore it and stroke and if so what's the best thing to do and use, or should I keep it an 80" and can I pep it up with bigger cam and valves etc. and if so what's the best set up. Just trying to make up my mind what I want to do.
Should I put an s&s super g on it and I want air suspension were I can set the bike on the frame.

Any suggestion or info will be greatly appreciated

Old 01-23-2011, 03:52 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,817 Likes on 3,171 Posts

I'll try to remember what I did 10 years ago: Weisco 10:1, Comp Cams EV 3030, Dyna Dual Fire Ignition, ( don't need the single fire!) S&S E Series, ( the G is too much carb,) Flowed heads. Left the bottom alone and enjoyed 80 HP for 65,000 miles.

There's one way! Good luck...

Old 01-23-2011, 04:50 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by clove07
I have a 94 heritage I am fixing to completely trick out. Any suggestions on the motor and carburator as far as what to do and use. I want rebuild the motor I want more power. should I bore it and stroke and if so what's the best thing to do and use, or should I keep it an 80" and can I pep it up with bigger cam and valves etc. and if so what's the best set up. Just trying to make up my mind what I want to do.
Should I put an s&s super g on it and I want air suspension were I can set the bike on the frame.

Any suggestion or info will be greatly appreciated
Many years ago I stroked my evo, which was the thing of the day. Things are different now, and the engine tuners have other ways of waking up an evo, with better head porting and cams.

I suggest you contact either a local tuner and ask advice, or one of the HDF sponsors, such as Hillside. I have a Super G on my 107" and one of those will be too big for an 80. Another reason to seek advice from a professional tuner. They will either take in your bike and deliver it finished, or you could take/send in selected parts for tuning and fit them yourself.

Old 01-23-2011, 06:22 PM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,788 Likes on 891 Posts

Originally Posted by Stiggy
I'll try to remember what I did 10 years ago: Weisco 10:1, Comp Cams EV 3030, Dyna Dual Fire Ignition, ( don't need the single fire!) S&S E Series, ( the G is too much carb,) Flowed heads. Left the bottom alone and enjoyed 80 HP for 65,000 miles.

There's one way! Good luck...
Stiggy hit a good combination for a light bike, compression, headwork, cam and a good exhaust makes a 80" a nice combo without splitting the case. Check out the 30 tooth power thread and a little bit of a wildcard can go into your hand!

Now if you have some extra jingle, the sky is the limit for power and whatever you want to spend. Stroker, big bore, heads and your shirt will flap in the wind but I don't know if your cases are desireable for a spigot bore for the big bore jugs.

I ride with a 80" softail, his build is close to what is mentioned above with the gear ratio lowered, it takes large cubic inches to outrun that combo, he embarrasses alot bikes with his little motor

Old 01-23-2011, 07:43 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

If I wanted a hotrod I would do just what they said. 10:1 pistons, minor head work, 2 into 1 exhaust, thunderslide carb and an ignition upgrade. All the guys who do that seem to rave about it.

Old 01-25-2011, 04:53 AM
NutterFLH
Cruiser

First of all You need to ask Yourself some questions - what You need the bike for? How You want to use it? Will You ride long distance with luggage and passenger or more likely just a short spin `round the chimney of Your house?

You need to know what You want. Some will tell you "do this", others will tell You "do that", everyone will say what they would like to have in their bikes. But YOU will ride your bike, not them.

Everything depends on the engine condition in your bike. If it`s partially worn out, getting more HP out of it will shorten engine life drastically. If You will do top end work making more HP the bottom end will have to withstand the increased strees. This is a very qiuck way to destroy the engine.

Last edited by NutterFLH; 01-25-2011 at 05:02 AM.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:42 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

Our Stage II Evo Heads
Wood W-8 cam
Wiseco pistons
Dyna 2000i ignition
Good slip-on mufflers, or good 2/1 header
Either a CV carb, 42 Mik, or S&S E or G, Thunderjetted.
This combo will always show AT LEAST 90 hp, 90 ft/lbs.
Fuel economy in the upper 40's.
Scott

Old 01-26-2011, 11:52 AM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,788 Likes on 891 Posts

[QUOTE]
Originally Posted by NutterFLH
First of all You need to ask Yourself some questions - what You need the bike for? How You want to use it? Will You ride long distance with luggage and passenger or more likely just a short spin `round the chimney of Your house?

You need to know what You want. Some will tell you "do this", others will tell You "do that", everyone will say what they would like to have in their bikes. But YOU will ride your bike, not them.
The Evo is a remarkable engine and personally know you can beat the h$ll out of a pumped up stroker engine and still run long distance loaded so I am kinda lost by your suggestions.

A 80" 10-1, correct cam, mild headwork engine is bullet proof that can show off the good looking lady on the back or run with the boys, I believe Hillside is backing up this combo with his experiance and experiance is the key in putting together a good combo that works well together, isn't nobody guessing here.

Old 01-26-2011, 12:07 PM
98 FLHX
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

[quote=1997bagger;7834077]

The Evo is a remarkable engine and personally know you can beat the h$ll out of a pumped up stroker engine and still run long distance loaded so I am kinda lost by your suggestions.

A 80" 10-1, correct cam, mild headwork engine is bullet proof that can show off the good looking lady on the back or run with the boys, I believe Hillside is backing up this combo with his experiance and experiance is the key in putting together a good combo that works well together, isn't nobody guessing here.
...without a doubt, Scott knows what he's talking about....

Last edited by 98 FLHX; 01-26-2011 at 12:42 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:19 AM
clove07
Intermediate
Default rebuild

can anyone tell me what wiseco kit to use and what brand and size valves i need and what brand and kind of cam to use. And do i need new push rods, tappets and rockers etc.

Quick Reply: rebuild