EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Evo Road king rear brake improvements

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 03:26 AM
chopperNeil
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Evo Road king rear brake improvements

Hi guys, came into a few hundred quid at the weekend after selling one of my pedal bikes and want to throw it at my rear brake, dont think i have enough for a complete caliper but was wondering what else i can do to improve it, currently running the original cast iron disc and stock caliper with stock hose.

front hoses are braided but rear never was so thats the first thing on the list. Would a disc upgrade make a difference? and lastly a new set of quality pads, anything else i could do any suggestions etc? dont want to go down the route of a newer swingarm etc so that i can getter a better stock calliper, i think i can get a Harrison Billet caliper for around £400 so if no major improvements can be had then i may just wait another month tilll i can afford the new caliper.

Last edited by chopperNeil; 01-17-2011 at 06:06 AM.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:01 AM
EVOrider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 278 Likes on 203 Posts

I would probably changed brake fluid if it is old and maybe upgrade the brake line as well. Check the disk also as it maybe worn out.

Then, start saving for swingarm upgrade with latest brakes.

Old 01-17-2011, 06:24 AM
Mike T
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wouldn't be overly concerned with the back brakes other than keeping good pads on it. It is just gonna lock up in a critical situation and slide anyway.Just my 2 cents.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:06 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,850 Likes on 1,406 Posts

If you have enough rear brake to lock up the wheel, there is nothing you can do to the system to improve the braking except put a stickier tire on. I seriously doubt you're having heat soak issues, which would be the only other reason to change up the system. Now, if you just want bling-bling, that's different.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:03 PM
hatchetman
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Buy a rear disc with the holes drilled in it. They allow for water between the brake pad & disc to escape giving you better braking in wet weather.
Replace your flex line because they do stretch out when old. for best braking, steel line will not give like flex line does. You will need a small section of flex for the swing arm movement.
Hatch.

Old 01-18-2011, 02:27 AM
Holster Maker
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Neil, Waste of money, unless you can't stop w/rear brake and/or needs maintenance.
Now if you were road racing, go for it, or drove long down-hills every day while double, due to heat fade!
Even my race car has fair rear brakes, since we all know it's the front that does 70+% of the job!

Old 01-18-2011, 07:11 AM
chopperNeil
Cruiser

Thanks for the responses so far, at the moment the back wheel wont lock no matter how hard i push it, hence the want for improvement, the front brakes are on the list to improve as well but they work "ok" for now so will last another year before they get work done! I am after functional more than bling, especially as its behind a saddle bag anyway!

I have ordered a new disc (grooved and drilled) and pads and a braided line so will be fitting all of these this coming weekend along with a new rear tyre. Looking at the disc and pads when i pulled them last night both are very glazed up, the previous owner of the bike had it from new and only covered about 1000 miles a year (15 year old bike!) so things look new but have tended not to be, the dunlop thats fitted looks like new but is as hard as a rock, hence new tyre!

Old 01-18-2011, 09:26 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,861 Likes on 2,426 Posts

Neil,

As one Brit to another I hope you are considering an Avon Venom for your tyre?! It's the only worthwhile one out there for riding an American bike in British conditions!

Old 01-18-2011, 09:31 AM
chopperNeil
Cruiser

Oh Yes mate, only way to go, going with a black wall on the back to save cleaning the bloody thing!
When i got the bike September last year it had 5+ year old dunflops front and rear, was awfull. front had to be done straight away as it was uneven and pretty much on the limit, the back still looks like new but is rock hard.

Should make the thing handle even better, was good after the touring link was added late last year and the bike aligned, should be even better now!

Old 01-18-2011, 09:38 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,861 Likes on 2,426 Posts

Jolly well done old chap! Check Avon's website for correct pressures, as they are typically a little higher than in the handbook.

Quick Reply: Evo Road king rear brake improvements