EVO All Evo Model Discussion

inner reassembly

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 05:08 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default inner reassembly

Ok need a bit of input from some EVO mechanics.
Last winter I rebuilt the motor and I replaced the seals on the inner primary including the big o-ring at the motor where inner joins crank area. I bought the seals right from harley and was real carefull when I pressed them home but today when disassembling the inner to do some work on the tranny and change charging system I see that the inner mainshaft seal , jack shaft seal and even the big o-ring all seeam to be leaking or at least seaping, this includes some of the inner primary bolts that secure inner to motor and tranny.
So when I put this all back together any suggestions on type of seals and o-ring to use and assembly goop for sealing the bolt threads etc?

I did my buddies 87 fxr with all the same replacement although his were out of a kit and he rides same style as me and bike is dry as a bone.
Can the issue be with type of oil I'm using? I also notice the upper casing bolts are seeping as well (definately from bolts ) and the bottom end was assembled by harley mechanic when he redid botttom end.

Old 01-15-2011, 07:02 PM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 603 Likes on 352 Posts

you might want to check the splines on you front pulley and the splines on the main gear. if they are worn out both need to be replaced because they will continue to leak. if the pulley has any movement the spacer behind it will move and that will cause the trans to leak. that is if your trans is leaking. i'm kind of unsure reading your post.

Old 01-15-2011, 07:14 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by bagga
you might want to check the splines on you front pulley and the splines on the main gear. if they are worn out both need to be replaced because they will continue to leak. if the pulley has any movement the spacer behind it will move and that will cause the trans to leak. that is if your trans is leaking. i'm kind of unsure reading your post.
I've got the tool for pulling the tranny drive pulley nut off but near as I can see and this is with bike way up in the air on jack I can't see any oil at all coming from tranny oil seal which I was going to replace during this overhaul.

Both splines appear to be fine there is no play with clutch basket or compensator.

Sorry I know when I try to decribe something its not my strong point.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:17 PM
Moog Player
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A picture might help, then.

Old 01-15-2011, 10:19 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Moog Player
A picture might help, then.
A picture of which? Basicly I put it together 6000 miles ago and it now leaks at the seals o-ring and the bolts that secure the inner to the tranny and motor. Why , did I do something wrong? And when I put this back together how can I be sure to do it better?

Last edited by RidemyEVO; 01-15-2011 at 10:36 PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:19 AM
96roadking
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From my industrial experience, the 3 most likely reasons for seal leakage are; worn shafts, sharp edges on shafts and excessive pressure in the sealed item. Wear on shafts can be very subtle, hard to see without careful inspection measurement. I learned this the hard way, of course!

Old 01-16-2011, 06:41 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,825 Likes on 3,176 Posts

Check the alignment between the motor and tranny. In other words, if you bolt the tranny to the inner primary tight, is the front of the inner primary snug against the motor before bolting up or is the inner primary going off on a very slightly different angle? Evo tranny / motors are not directly bolted together ( as you know,) and one could be tweaked relative to the other. And it will contine to leak if not aligned. Hope that helps..

Old 01-16-2011, 07:04 AM
bigtone
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They are bolted together on evo rubber mounts, it looks like thats what the original poster has. If you didnt disturb these bolts, you should not have to realign it. First off, you mentioned that it is leaking where the bolts pass thru that hold the inner primary on. I use a smal amount of silicone underneath the bolt head when installing these bolts. That idea was in some of the older Harley Service manuals, but I havent seen it in the later ones. Are you sure it is primary fluid? That model vents thru the clutch pushrod which passes thru the mainshaft, which basically says the trans vent is the vent for both. The big o ring on the engine is seldom an issue on evos. Jackshaft leaks are rare, I had one, it was the steel shaft that actually had wear mark where it rode against the rubber. Look at every area that is leaking closely. Also, what was the primary fluid level? Did it look higher, like you may have engine oil leaking in?

Attached Thumbnails inner reassembly-bothbikes.jpg  
Old 01-16-2011, 07:41 AM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

As previously stated, pictures would help. also as previously stated when installing the seals sharp edges om the splines can damage the seal so you should wrap the spline with tape first. Worn bearings or shafts with excessive play can cause leaks. The O-ring when installed must have both mating surfeces SPOTLESS or you can get a leak there. We use a soft brass brush to ensure this, be sure to get both sides of the grooves that the o-ring goes in and put a dab of silicone on the back side of the inner bolt heads.

You can take a mirror and look up under it to see where the leak may be coming from too. Be careful when you are removing the primary so that you don't disturb any evidence of where the leak is coming from. Any of the penetrations of the primary can and will leak.

Oil in the primary can foam up and cause a slight pressure build up, so yes your oil can add to the problem. However if you have a good seal it shouldn't, if you have any problem spots it will show up. We reccomend Castroil type VI Transmission fluid as it resists foaming well.

In closing most of this stuff was covered in the above post, I thought I would consolidate them for you and add a few things too. Hope this helps.

Last edited by miacycles; 01-17-2011 at 12:56 PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:08 AM
V-Twins & Bowties
Road Warrior
Received 507 Likes on 279 Posts

You stated that you removed the engine for rebuiding so the alignment of engine and trans is off. Unless you aligned them? As far as seals did you lubricate them prior to assembly? I also use a small bead of Ultra Grey silicone on the Oring. Also use silicone on the bolt heads that fasten the inner to engine and trans.

Last edited by V-Twins & Bowties; 01-16-2011 at 11:18 AM.

Quick Reply: inner reassembly