EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Cam and Exhaust ? Advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 11:55 AM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Within reason, just about any aftermarket cam or H-D SE cam will be better than the EPA stocker - which is best used as a paperweight or doorstop! It was made to keep emissions low, at the cost of performance. It has 0 degrees of overlap (at least the '95 version does), and really conservative valve timings.

A lot of guys here run the EV-27 and love it. I run the V-Thunder EVL-3010 in Bertha, which is roughly comparable to the EV-27. If I were going to get another cam for Bertha, I'd go with the V-Thunder EVL-3000, which is roughly comparable to the EV-13. Those cams give better low-end torque on heavy baggers. The EVL-3010 I run needs some revs and doesn't pull all that well under 3000 RPM... but once I get above that it pulls like a Peterbilt... even two-up. I had to back off the ignition advance considerably to eliminate low-RPM open-throttle pinging on Bertha with the EVL-3010.

I would not go with the EV-46 on your bagger - that's really for lighter bikes like Softails, and has a higher-RPM powerband.

You won't get the maximum benefit of any cam change if you continue to use the stock mufflers, because they are quite restrictive in order to keep noise down - but it should still be noticeably better than the stock cam's performance. The major exhaust vendors all have performance mufflers with "quiet" baffles available. These mufflers should perform better than the stock ones, and should still be relatively quiet... probably not quite as quiet as the stock ones though.

Don't know what exhaust products are still available to fit an '89 model. You might consider new "true dual" headers. I run V&H Dresser Duals headers and different rear pipes for different purposes - open fishtails around town (obnoxiously loud and not good for low-end torque, but really cool-looking!), and V&H Big Ovals for long trips (much better performance and low-end torque, and much quieter but still "rumbly"... but they really roar when I get on the throttle!)

A free-breathing A/C will help performance as well. I didn't see what A/C you are running. The stock A/C is also quite restrictive to keep noise down, and a H-D SE A/C or the Arlen Ness Big Sucker A/C that I run will let the engine breathe much better. My open Big Sucker is LOUD though - I can hear it sucking air even over the fishtails. If you continued to used the stock A/C cover over it, it wouldn't be so loud... but I like loud!

Good luck with your new cam! Keep us posted...

NGH

Old 01-08-2011, 09:24 PM
woodnbow
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Within reason, just about any aftermarket cam or H-D SE cam will be better than the EPA stocker - which is best used as a paperweight or doorstop! It was made to keep emissions low, at the cost of performance. It has 0 degrees of overlap (at least the '95 version does), and really conservative valve timings. "

The '89 stock cam isn't really all that bad, it's much better than the later version, in fact it's roughly comparable to the EV3... .498 lift intake close 37 degrees ABDC, 234 degrees duration.. I liked the way my '89 ran, if the witch hadn't pulled out and totalled it I might not have found a reason to change that cam.

North Georgia's right, you may want less restrictive exhaust. Cut the flanges off your head pipes and you can run post '95 mufflers...

Last edited by woodnbow; 01-08-2011 at 09:26 PM. Reason: as far as exhaust goes
Old 01-09-2011, 12:51 AM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 83 Posts

Thanks for the additional great feedback from both of you.

This part of the feedback... "You won't get the maximum benefit of any cam change if you continue to use the stock mufflers, because they are quite restrictive in order to keep noise down - but it should still be noticeably better than the stock cam's performance."

Keeping the noise the same and getting a little more performance from the cam swap, is exactly the info I was looking for.

I've been lucky enough to have ridden many years on a kickstart 75' sporty with drag pipes and then a 84 FXR with aftermarket pipes ripping around town and the backroads. At that time, loud was really fun! These days, I'm more for hopping on the highway and cruising at 75 to 85 listening to the tunes.

Thanks again to all, the info has really helped !

Old 01-09-2011, 05:26 AM
96roadking
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have B&E Superflow mufflers with 2" baffles that are really only loud when I get on it hard. They also sell these mufflers with 1.75" baffles which would be quieter yet. I have amplified speakers with a walkman and find that I can hear tunes at most speeds but other traffic is more of a hindrance than the mufflers are.

Old 01-10-2011, 04:41 PM
rivercityslim
Road Master
Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts

I have Cycle Shack slip-ons that are louder than the stock mufflers that they replaced, but still reasonable enough that I can hear my stereo just fine. At 75+ wind and road noise are more of a problem than the pipes.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:01 AM
sob8080
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sob8080

if you install the EV-27 which i have make sure to check the clearence on the inner lobe of cam to the case might have to grind some off i did.
also check color coding on your pinion and cam gear for proper ratio or you'll get the whine/./.