EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Exhaust???

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 11:12 AM
BenBoosted
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Exhaust???

I have a friend who just acquired an 89 Electra Glide with stock exhaust. The stock exhaust leaks and slips at the slip joint for the muffler, no matter how much you tighten it. I'm just curious who still sells slip on mufflers, or even full exhaust for these bikes? Checking a few web sites (HD, Vance and Hines, Rinehart) all list 95+ bikes.

Any suggestions?

Old 01-04-2011, 11:25 AM
96roadking
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It looks like J&P has mufflers and clamps. Try Dennis Kirk and Jireh Cycles as well.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:36 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,917 Likes on 1,430 Posts

I have the complete exhaust from a 07 FLHTx on my bike. Fits perfect. Cost me like a bill on ebay.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:50 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Hess
I have the complete exhaust from a 07 FLHTx on my bike. Fits perfect. Cost me like a bill on ebay.
No kidding huh? You must have been fortunate enough to be able to trial fit them before paying. Do you know for sure of any other years that will fit?

Had a thought, what actually changed on the touring models fitments for the exhaust pipes? I mean the motors didn't change correct? Just the frames have changed and I think that only happened on the 08 to newer correct?
Perhaps this should be a new topic of what year pipes will fit what year ? Not trying to hi jack this thread.

I have seen complete used sets on ebay just latelybut as the OP said they show fitting 95 - , or 07 and 08 .

Last edited by RidemyEVO; 01-04-2011 at 01:26 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:28 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,917 Likes on 1,430 Posts

No, I read on the board here that Twinky exhausts fit on our bikes, so I thought, why not give it a try? My crossover tube shattered on me causing me to drop an exhaust valve guide at a gas station on I-90, resulting in this little adventure behind the motel in Pierre:

in 2007. I MIG'ed up what was left of the crossover tube (no longer available) and made it home with that, then bought a complete exhaust on ebay off some 2007 FLHTC-e-i-e-i-oooooh for about a bill, delivered, and put it on. I had to plug the O2 sensor bungs, and slightly modify one bracket to make it clamp a little tighter but that was it. Everything else fit like it was made for the bike, 20 years later. The auction said it had 500 miles on it, but I seriously doubt it had 3 miles on it. Here's a pic of my bike with the new exhaust:

Old 01-04-2011, 04:10 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 161 Posts

Benboosted, My '93 ultra had the stock pipes on it. that year they used the flanged type mufflers and pipes. I think '94 was the last year they used that type of pipe and clamp. I cut the flange off the pipes so I could use later year se mufflers. My right side fit perfect, but the left side muffler would slide off every now and then. Two things you can do is 1, use a very thin shim to keep the mufflers from sliding off or 2, take the pipe to a muffler shop and have them expand the pipe for a tight fit. As for as mufflers go, I had se mufflers from a '05 on mine so you have alot of choices. Try ebay if your just looking for mufflers.,,

Old 01-05-2011, 01:59 AM
Holster Maker
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Like Dr. H,... I have new complete take off's from '03 found on craigslist for $100. I then got the Fullsac true dual kit new for $75. I then gutted the new '03 mufflers and installed Rush 2" baffles for $80. Complete new true dual system for $255 and they sound bitch'n, look new too!

Old 01-05-2011, 04:39 AM
vgreno2000
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi you folks!!!

Do you know if I can fit a Dyna TC headers on my 1993 Dyna?

My old headers are broken, and I can't find a pair of new ones, but on ebay I've saw a lot of TC ones and at really god price.

Thanks!!!

Old 01-05-2011, 08:25 AM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

This has been some extremely great info for exhaust upgrades. Was talking to my buddy last nite and he was saying he had read in a mag a while back that all exhaust upto 07 will fit the evo's per each model.
Man time to go hunting, Start the Carrrrr.. Start the Carrrrrrrr ...

Old 01-05-2011, 09:19 AM
BenBoosted
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Great info guys, thanks!

Dr.Hess,

I have to ask... after dropping the exhaust valve how in the world did you fix that while behind a motel? Did you locally score a new head?

Just FYI,

MC Creations here in Houston is awesome. I sourced a used Samson muffler, new clamp/copper gasket, and rear strut (that hold the rubber/muffler as it had snapped) for less than $140 out the door.

Quick Reply: Exhaust???