Scratt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fuel screw in too much?

Old 12-27-2010, 04:05 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Once the bike starts push the enrichner in to were it will just stay running. Then get dressed and start riding, push the enrichner in as soon as you are moving. If the bike is still "cold blooded" go one step richer on the low speed and put the 88 Sporty needle in it. Hope this helps. Afterthought make sure the float level is right too.

Old 12-27-2010, 05:53 PM
frbeall
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as the float is concerned I don't detect any gas coming out the overflow tube and I haven't touched the fuel screw. I have many years experience with this bike and have never had a problem. The only thing I can figure is the choke must not be opening fully and dumping too much gas. Thanks for your help! Any other ideas come to mind? It sure runs great with new plugs but foul after about 200 miles. One other thing, the back cylinder is worse than the front when looking at the plugs.

Last edited by frbeall; 12-27-2010 at 05:55 PM.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:36 PM
Doug S
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

frbeall

I read through this thread and maybe I missed it but what year/model bike do you have, how many miles and what carb is on it( any work done to it?)?

If it's a CV carb then you don't have a choke that will "Not open fully", it's an enricher that dumps extra fuel in when needed and therefore, the quicker you turn it off the less fouling of the plugs you will get.

I've noticed a number of EVO's that have the rear plug fouled a little more than the front and it's really obvious when they start to run richer than they should. My present bike had/has that condition and I over came it by leaning up the mixture a little and using the enricher just to get the motor running and then using the throttle lock to keep it running while reducing the enricher to almost off. As soon as I start to ride I turn the enricher off completely.

There are a number of things that can effect mixture besides the carb, changing the pipes, aircleaner, intake leaks, and vacum leak to the Voes, as well as temperature and humidity. Any time I have carb/gas issues I check all the intake components for leaks, very common on EVOs and they can cause varried symptoms.

D

Old 12-27-2010, 09:41 PM
robertl
Advanced

dont take much to rebuild that carb. rebuild kit about 30.00

Old 12-28-2010, 08:51 AM
noridinsavage
Cruiser

I had similar issues and just rebuilt the accelerator pump. I will know if this solved my issue as soon as weather allows and the road crews clean up all the gravel on the roads.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:01 AM
frbeall
Intermediate

I want to thank everyone for your help! To answer some questions, it's a 96, 41000 miles, I've never done anything to it. Probably been riding this thing for 10 years, same plugs. This season, which down here actually begins in the fall, is when my problems started. It had been sitting awhile, don't like riding in 103 degree temps so the main jet in the bowl was cleaned. I've been through two sets of plugs in two weeks or about 400 miles. It runs too good to have a intake leak. Maybe I just need to rebuild the whole thing, probably wouldn't hurt. Thanks again, a lot of good points to consider.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:41 AM
Scratt
Outstanding HDF Member

How are your rocker box gaskets looking? any leaks?

Old 12-28-2010, 03:09 PM
frbeall
Intermediate

Clean.

Old 12-28-2010, 03:56 PM
Scratt
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by frbeall
Clean.
crap, still thinking