EVO All Evo Model Discussion

I converted to Twin cam

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 05:25 PM
Teflon Tom
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool I converted to Twin cam

I know this sounds sacreligious but after a catostrophic failure[melted piston due to a slight head leak in the rear cylinder] on my way back from Sturgus, I decided to put a twin cam in my 94 FLH. I had a 05 driveline in my garage and figured what the hell I'll put it in.
It fits and looks great, so I decided to take it back out rebuild it up to 95 inchs and see how that goes.
I will rebuild the evo again but will use it in another bike so I don't know which thread I should be writing in now.

Old 12-15-2010, 05:48 PM
96roadking
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you need to post this in the Tweevo forum!

Old 12-15-2010, 09:00 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 96roadking
you need to post this in the Tweevo forum!
What Jeff said.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:53 PM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 77 Posts

Tweevo...

I like it

Old 12-16-2010, 03:21 PM
the blob
Road Warrior
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

wow ididnt think you could do a swap like that! is it straight forward or is there a lot of modifying?

Old 12-16-2010, 03:25 PM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 12-16-2010, 05:33 PM
Teflon Tom
Advanced
Talking Lots of figuring but I'm retired

There was some figuring to mounting the ecm, fuseboxes and relays and such but just took my time and made and then remade till I got it right. The 97 and up frame is longer and the back bone of the frame is a pinch higher. Any work you have to do on the rear cylinder would require you to drop the front of the motor down after removing the motormount. You need a swingarm from a 2002 and up if the driveline you are using has the big (2002 and up) pivot shaft for the transmission mount.
Also, my 94 had the rear brake master cylinder is mounted between the frame rails and you have to remove it. I had the 05 frame and cut off the right side brake/running board mount and welded it to the 94 frame.
I was going to do that anyway even if I was going to leave the evolution motor in the frame the old master was leaking and you can't get a kit to repair it. I had the newer mastercylinder and pedal assembly from a change I did for a friend.
I was looking for a remote fuel pump so I could keep my carb fuel tank and found some on the internet and wrote for information but never heard back so I bought a used 04 tank and stock pump from ebay.
What the hell I got a nice work shop, it is a long winter and it beats watching the idiot box, I'll post some pictures when I start putting it back together.

Old 12-17-2010, 03:08 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Hackd
Tweevo...

I like it
That's just great!

Tom,

Sounds a great project, which we might come to forgive you for in time! I have done the 2002-up swingarm change to my 1990 Glide, so have also trodden that path, although I had to downsize the swingarm axle to fit my older transmission case. I also have the later rear wheel and brake in there. You're in good company tinkering in the Evo forum.

Old 12-17-2010, 05:34 PM
Teflon Tom
Advanced

My wife now knows I am crazy doing stuff like this but it beats the TV and crossword puzzles! I have helped other people with the swingarm conversion after their old style [boxed type] swingarms either cracked or bent out of shape. There is a company selling a kit to install the late model swing arms on old Evo touring bikes I think the name is Custom Cycle Engineering. I have installed that kit last spring for a riding friend and it was high quality, SS rod and such.
I just love that I now have a name for my bike "TWEEVO" it will catch on.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:34 PM
Mike T
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like a business opportunity to me.

Quick Reply: I converted to Twin cam