EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Top End

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 10:41 PM
hatchetman
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gartec81
i wish i new enough to do the job myself. i think i need to take a class or something. cause i have no one to learn from. i get the local shop mobtown cycle to do the motor work. hos did you all learn
You can buy the CD's on line that go step by step on a tear down & re build. That plus the manual make that job fairly strait forward.
putting your location on your profile will tell anyone who might be into helping you, if your local to them.
Hatch.

Old 12-09-2010, 02:23 PM
GREENOHAWK69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 575 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by tc
Thought about dropping engine, but front mount is on top of a welded cross bar on the front down tubes, and don't much like getting into dropping rear and gearbox!!!!!
Also did same job on a Sporty a few years ago and do not remember having this problem.
Thought about EV27 but undecided if it is worth effort/money. They are very expensive here in Ireland and with the present economic situation here and a new budget just being passed, money tight. Unless someone there has a "free Sample" or a cheapie.

Tony
The EV-27 will wake your bike up. Where there is a will, there is a way.

Old 12-10-2010, 01:48 AM
Gutman
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That rocker will go in easier than it came out. Have patience. Def make sure ALL surfaces are flat including cylinder base. Take to a machine shop if necessary. Use Torque plates if honeing the cylinder's and verify ring gaps. Use viton seals and no sealant on any gasket surface.

Old 12-10-2010, 02:07 PM
96roadking
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some guy was posting an EV27 for sale for 80.00 in the for sale section. said he bought it and changed his mind to an EV13.

Old 12-10-2010, 04:37 PM
tc
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Is'nt this a great site and forum?

I suppose it is one of the reasons I love my Harley, old and all as she is, even in these days of doom and gloom there is so much assistance and help from other Harley riders, and all free!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks to all for advice, it has all been taken on board.

One other question. The EV27 is advertised as a simple swop, is it?

If I got one, can I literally just remove my old one and replace it with this, no pushrod or tappett swop, just cam for cam and a new gasket?

Thanks again , I am sure I will get loads of answers, but as my signature says, "I like simple".....................

Cheers
Tony.

Old 12-10-2010, 05:49 PM
IronGear
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by miacycles
Ironbutt nailed it. You have to have patience, remove the rocker arms take all the bolts out comepletely and have patience. Removeing the front mount will give you some additional clearance as well. When re-assembling use metal gaskets where available. I would also reccomend file-to-fit rings as most of the "drop in" rings have a huge end gap and don't hone too much or you might get some "piston rattle". Hope this helps
Can you please advise how to remove the front mount on a 1987 FLST.

That piston rattle bit is hilarious. Go a bit longer, and give yourself a rebore.

Old 12-10-2010, 06:06 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by IronGear
Can you please advise how to remove the front mount on a 1987 FLST.

That piston rattle bit is hilarious. Go a bit longer, and give yourself a rebore.
With a torch or plasma cutter LOL !!! Sorry for the brain cramp, but the days have been long and busy. Thought it was a rubber mount. That's one of the hazards when the post get lots of replies and you try to remember what was said by whom.

Last edited by miacycles; 12-10-2010 at 06:08 PM.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:37 AM
IronGear
Tourer

Originally Posted by tc
Is'nt this a great site and forum?

I suppose it is one of the reasons I love my Harley, old and all as she is, even in these days of doom and gloom there is so much assistance and help from other Harley riders, and all free!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks to all for advice, it has all been taken on board.

One other question. The EV27 is advertised as a simple swop, is it?

If I got one, can I literally just remove my old one and replace it with this, no pushrod or tappett swop, just cam for cam and a new gasket?

Thanks again , I am sure I will get loads of answers, but as my signature says, "I like simple".....................

Cheers
Tony.

Yes, lots of assistance, but be a little wary.
When you know little, you can easily be misled.
Most of what I read on here is basically wrong.
So take care.

Old 12-11-2010, 01:40 AM
IronGear
Tourer

Originally Posted by miacycles
With a torch or plasma cutter LOL !!! Sorry for the brain cramp, but the days have been long and busy. Thought it was a rubber mount. That's one of the hazards when the post get lots of replies and you try to remember what was said by whom.
When I post, I just normally state the facts, without a bit pile of oiling words to soothe fragile egos. That's their problem. I just could never be bothered.

I do take the time to tease you a little though, as you are not only generally on the right track, but can respond with an interesting view.

Old 12-11-2010, 01:21 PM
hatchetman
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by IronGear
Yes, lots of assistance, but be a little wary.
When you know little, you can easily be misled.
Most of what I read on here is basically wrong.
So take care.
If you think a reply here is the wrong advise & could cause the OP to damage his EVO, Maybe you could point out what you think is the wrong advise.
you have the floor!
hatch.

Quick Reply: Top End