EVO All Evo Model Discussion

I think this is one very cool FXR

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010 | 03:37 PM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Originally Posted by woodnbow
Minus the shorty shocks, I've got a 36" inseam, don't really need a lowered bike, prices on these bikes just get better and better..
I agree that it's a great looking FXR...very clean.

I was reading the specs, and it says the suspension is lowered one inch...then it says he has Progressive 11 inch shocks in the rear? I thought that the stock rear shocks were 13 inch on the FXRs. I wonder how compromised the handling is on this beauty with the reduced ground clearance and suspension travel?

Speaking of suspension...

Ramona, is that a pair of inverted Showas on the FXR in your sig pic? Looks nasty!

Old 12-31-2010 | 03:54 AM
Ramona
Cruiser

Hi Bronson.....Forks are 54mm inverted, mid-glides with 43mm tubes. Italian made Ceriani forks. All the 39mm narrow-glide stuff bolts up. They were on sale from a place in Sweden, and came with the trees powdercoated black also....just a little too much black.

The 39mm Showa forks that were on the '92 in the photo, have been worked over and I just installed them on the stripped down '91 FXRT (looks like a FXLR now)

Last edited by Ramona; 12-31-2010 at 04:02 AM.
Old 12-31-2010 | 06:43 AM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ramona
Hi Bronson.....Forks are 54mm inverted, mid-glides with 43mm tubes. Italian made Ceriani forks. All the 39mm narrow-glide stuff bolts up. They were on sale from a place in Sweden, and came with the trees powdercoated black also....just a little too much black.

The 39mm Showa forks that were on the '92 in the photo, have been worked over and I just installed them on the stripped down '91 FXRT (looks like a FXLR now)
Ramona, what did you do with the bags and mounts from the FXRT???

Old 12-31-2010 | 11:23 AM
Ramona
Cruiser

Originally Posted by miacycles
Ramona, what did you do with the bags and mounts from the FXRT???
John, sorry, no longer have them......
Are you doing a FXRT restoration?

Happy New Year

Old 12-31-2010 | 01:35 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member

Yes, I was thinking about putting bags on the custom FXR frame I just picked up. There is a set on E-Bay but the guy wants way too much for the condition.

Old 12-31-2010 | 04:37 PM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member

Very nice! Sounds like you're a guy that appreciates a quality suspension. I don't know what kind of rear shocks you're running, but I'll bet that bike will surprise a whole lot of people in the turns (especially some unsuspecting crotch rocket).

I've been contemplating buying an FXR for a frame off resto project, and one of the most important things that get ignored on these bikes is the suspension. A stock 35mm Harley front fork/suspension set up (39mm in the later models) just isn't going to cut the mustard in 2011. I was thinking of an inverted Öhlins suspension in a mid glide set up, or possibly some of the new inverted Showas off of the new XL1200S. Jesus, I'm spending money in my head on a bike that I don't even have yet! Bad sign!

Have a Happy New Year!

Old 01-02-2011 | 01:53 AM
Ramona
Cruiser

Hi Bronson......A kid around town here has a FXRS Lowrider (EB) with inverted Buell forks......he rides it hard. It looks good too....

The MoCo used to sell the FXDX forks as a bolt on. Have to order the parts and put it together yourself now. Priced the parts out here in Canada.....trees, fork tubes & lowers with internals, (2) floating rotors & calipers, dual disc master cylinder with brake lines, and wheel with axle.....$3100.

Old 01-02-2011 | 09:56 AM
woodnbow
Tourer
Default I checked into FXDX forks as well

Seems like a lot of money for what you're getting... chicago HD will sell you a set of XL1200S forks that will bolt right up on post '88 narrow glides. 45943-96 is the PN for the right, 45944-96 for the left and they cost $665 for the set, shipping is extra.

I'm currently running the stock air setup on my FXRS-CON with the addition of Progressive standard height springs and a tweak bar. My rear shocks are 13" Heavy duty Progressive's, I ride this bike two up almost all the time. It's MUCH better than the stock setup..

Old 01-02-2011 | 10:39 AM
Ramona
Cruiser

Originally Posted by woodnbow
Seems like a lot of money for what you're getting... chicago HD will sell you a set of XL1200S forks that will bolt right up on post '88 narrow glides. 45943-96 is the PN for the right, 45944-96 for the left and they cost $665 for the set, shipping is extra.
Agree with you Woodnbow, alot of $$......forgot to include a Dunlop E3 in the price. Didn't think of using the MoCo on your side of the border.

The FXRT has Fox adjustables out back, while the FXRS is using 412s

Old 01-02-2011 | 09:15 PM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member

The MoCo used to sell the FXDX forks as a bolt on. Have to order the parts and put it together yourself now. Priced the parts out here in Canada.....trees, fork tubes & lowers with internals, (2) floating rotors & calipers, dual disc master cylinder with brake lines, and wheel with axle.....$3100.
I know a guy that has that exact set up on his FXR, and while functionally and cosmetically it's fine, I'd really rather slap on some modern, high performance, inverted forks on that great Harley frame. Also, I agree with you and Woodnbow about the FXDX fork set up...that's a shitpile of money for (dare I say) some old, outdated Harley technology.

If the price quoted by Woodnbow is correct for the XL1200S inverted Showas, that's a hell of a deal for a very nice front suspension that just bolts on to the FXR frame.

Quick Reply: I think this is one very cool FXR