EVO All Evo Model Discussion

another lifter question....

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010 | 07:31 PM
jsbridgew
|
Road Warrior
Default another lifter question....

alright, i got the Andrews EV27 cam and EZ adjustable pushrod kit for my '91 EVO

...but have been reading that I should replace the lifters, as well.... any suggestions?

i did a little research on the Harley 'B' lifters...is this the lifter I should go with, and does anyone maybe have a part number?

Thanks, Paul

Old 12-02-2010 | 09:06 PM
gsxrboy96
Road Warrior

if it were my buck, id throw down the 150 bux for the vthunder lifters, big axle, nicely made and fitted to stock blocks. but if you want the stock style, this is the part number. 18523-86B

Old 12-02-2010 | 09:48 PM
jsbridgew
|
Road Warrior

not a bad idea, gsxrboy96 .... Harley 'Bs' out of zanottis comes out to nearly the exact same price after shipping costs

how'd you come across the 'vthunder' lifters?

Old 12-03-2010 | 05:32 AM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member

V-thunders are good along with Jims and the "B's". Remember though lifters have their "ups and downs" :-) !!!!!!

Old 12-03-2010 | 06:39 AM
Mike T
Outstanding HDF Member

You can't go wrong with the B lifters.

Old 12-03-2010 | 08:44 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member

At this stage of the game, go with new lifters. I had one come apart on my '93, and it was fugly.,,

Old 12-03-2010 | 12:26 PM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by gsxrboy96
if it were my buck, id throw down the 150 bux for the vthunder lifters, big axle, nicely made and fitted to stock blocks. but if you want the stock style, this is the part number. 18523-86B
I've run them as well. Just make sure to follow the directions. V-Thunder lifters require less of a preload than other brands. If you do not follow the adjustment recommendations, I guarantee you'll have a valve hanging open. I learned the hard way, been there and done that, but VT makes an excellent product.

Old 12-03-2010 | 10:31 PM
gsxrboy96
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by jsbridgew
not a bad idea, gsxrboy96 .... Harley 'Bs' out of zanottis comes out to nearly the exact same price after shipping costs

how'd you come across the 'vthunder' lifters?
to be honest, in my second harley i ever owned, i was drinking the woods cam koolaid (which is a joke at best), and was trying to get my w6 quiet (which is a even bigger joke), and i had a brand new "upgraded" b lifter fail, so i called my local indy to see what he recommended, and i ended up buying a v thunder camshaft and lifters, Upon inspection, the lifters had a noticably larger axle, plunger and body, Just a better product all around, plus the cam/lifter combo was as quiet as a church mouse, so better product for the stock product price equals a win in my book.

Old 12-04-2010 | 10:45 AM
woodnbow
Tourer
Default What in your opinion made the difference?

Originally Posted by gsxrboy96
to be honest, in my second harley i ever owned, i was drinking the woods cam koolaid (which is a joke at best), and was trying to get my w6 quiet (which is a even bigger joke), and i had a brand new "upgraded" b lifter fail, so i called my local indy to see what he recommended, and i ended up buying a v thunder camshaft and lifters, Upon inspection, the lifters had a noticably larger axle, plunger and body, Just a better product all around, plus the cam/lifter combo was as quiet as a church mouse, so better product for the stock product price equals a win in my book.
Are the ramps on the wood noticeably more abrupt than the V-thunder? I think that's the case with EV27's, I've heard that aluminum pushrods are quieter but I guess I just figured you have to live with the racket...

I'm recamming my '93 this winter and if I could have similar results to the EV27 with 10-1 and less noise I'd be real interested.

Old 12-04-2010 | 11:20 AM
gsxrboy96
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by woodnbow
Are the ramps on the wood noticeably more abrupt than the V-thunder? I think that's the case with EV27's, I've heard that aluminum pushrods are quieter but I guess I just figured you have to live with the racket...

I'm recamming my '93 this winter and if I could have similar results to the EV27 with 10-1 and less noise I'd be real interested.
the woods cams have very very aggresive ramps, they make power, no mistake about it, but at what price, so your bike can sound like a old style solid lifter race car, no thanks. and actually,alot of people dont know this, but andrews grinds woods cams, the very first camshaft i ever put in a bike was a ev27, it ran great, but was slightly noisy, so i pulled it back apart, had the original cam gear pressed on and off, and the cam was still noisy, not bad, but just a little valve train noise, i ended up going with a vthunder 3020, it had a slight vt noise also, i think your going to get that with aftermarket cams, but i will say this, the 3010, 3030, and 3040 are by far, the quietest cams ive put in bikes, period, and the 3020 out performed the woods cam, you cant go wrong with these cam and lifters, ive talked several people into them, 93fxr being one, and he will attest to it, they make power, and are quiet, and thats the gospel.

Quick Reply: another lifter question....