EVO All Evo Model Discussion

another lifter question....

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010 | 12:52 PM
98 FLHX
Tourer

Originally Posted by gsxrboy96
the woods cams have very very aggresive ramps, they make power, no mistake about it, but at what price, so your bike can sound like a old style solid lifter race car, no thanks. and actually,alot of people dont know this, but andrews grinds woods cams, the very first camshaft i ever put in a bike was a ev27, it ran great, but was slightly noisy, so i pulled it back apart, had the original cam gear pressed on and off, and the cam was still noisy, not bad, but just a little valve train noise, i ended up going with a vthunder 3020, it had a slight vt noise also, i think your going to get that with aftermarket cams, but i will say this, the 3010, 3030, and 3040 are by far, the quietest cams ive put in bikes, period, and the 3020 out performed the woods cam, you cant go wrong with these cam and lifters, ive talked several people into them, 93fxr being one, and he will attest to it, they make power, and are quiet, and thats the gospel.

True statement...Andrews does grind cams for Bob Wood, and they are aggressive ramps....i.e. make plenty of racket, along with producing good power.
The 3030 that I ran in my old FXR made TONS of torque, and whisper quiet.
Bottom line....great products.

Last edited by 98 FLHX; 12-04-2010 at 12:56 PM. Reason: piss poor spelling...
Old 12-04-2010 | 12:53 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member

I put the Harley Screaming Eagle quick install push rods in my 99 when I changed out the cam brg., and for some reason it seems quieter to me. Sure isn't any louder. But then, I am still running the stock cam and lifters, and that is probably why. The stock cam has a fairly low ramp angle. I may change my cam and lifters down the road, but I want one with torque right off idle, as I rarely get over 4,000 rpm. Most of my riding is in the 2 to 3 thousand range.

Old 12-04-2010 | 01:52 PM
dan1911
Advanced

I put an EV51 cam in my 91 FLHS along with 10.5 to 1 wiseco's this summer. noisy fast ramps, but really nasty torque, even just off idle.

Old 12-04-2010 | 02:39 PM
woodnbow
Tourer
Default thanks for the info

Originally Posted by gsxrboy96
the woods cams have very very aggresive ramps, they make power, no mistake about it, but at what price, so your bike can sound like a old style solid lifter race car, no thanks. and actually,alot of people dont know this, but andrews grinds woods cams, the very first camshaft i ever put in a bike was a ev27, it ran great, but was slightly noisy, so i pulled it back apart, had the original cam gear pressed on and off, and the cam was still noisy, not bad, but just a little valve train noise, i ended up going with a vthunder 3020, it had a slight vt noise also, i think your going to get that with aftermarket cams, but i will say this, the 3010, 3030, and 3040 are by far, the quietest cams ive put in bikes, period, and the 3020 out performed the woods cam, you cant go wrong with these cam and lifters, ive talked several people into them, 93fxr being one, and he will attest to it, they make power, and are quiet, and thats the gospel.
The prices seem right for the kits. I like the look of that 3020 and since I run a windsheild 90% of the time lifter noise IS a factor... Thanks again...

Old 12-04-2010 | 07:08 PM
jsbridgew
|
Road Warrior

awesome info!

Old 12-05-2010 | 11:17 PM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member

I got my Woods W6H tamed down to un-noticable noise but from first hand experiance, the Woods fast ramps and higher spring load will beat up a "B" lifter at higher rpm's, going to try some S&S lifters with limiters this winter and see what happens next riding season. Might check out the Vthunder lifters, if they match the quality of their cams they sould be a good item

Old 12-06-2010 | 07:12 AM
docrobinson
Cruiser

I have always had great luck with thr velea touch lifter kits. reliable and verry quiet

Old 12-06-2010 | 08:03 AM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by 1997bagger
I got my Woods W6H tamed down to un-noticable noise but from first hand experiance, the Woods fast ramps and higher spring load will beat up a "B" lifter at higher rpm's, going to try some S&S lifters with limiters this winter and see what happens next riding season. Might check out the Vthunder lifters, if they match the quality of their cams they sould be a good item
S & S lifters with the limiters are a little more difficult to set-up. You might want to download the instructions and look at them first. The first few times that you do them can be challenging.

Old 12-06-2010 | 11:06 AM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member

Thanks for the insight John, I've already checked out the instructions and noticed they adjust from the bottomed out position, the adjustment procedure could be time consuming with a pumped up lifter. My only concern is that you have to put a Woods cam deep into the lifter to calm it down and might not have any "cushion" off the limiter but could always remove the limiter ring and still have a good set of standard type lifters, they downside is the labor to do it twice if the limiters don't work out.

John, never heard anything negative about the S&S lifters and are reasonably priced, Jim's/SE lifters need a kidney sold to purchase, missed a deal on a complete Velva Touch setup mentioned by Doc and regretting it. Like I mentioned, had some trouble with the "B's"/Woods combination and would be interested in hearing your personal experiance with a next level type of lifter. I have other less aggressive lobed cams that would get the job done but the W6H, Propipe, 89" and gear change is fun in a big bike and sneak up on my buddies lighter bikes so I plan on keeping the Woods in there.

Old 12-06-2010 | 01:22 PM
JustDave71
Outstanding HDF Member

I've been lookin around and found that the Hy-Lift Johnson were being sold again

http://www.parts4powertoys.com/HyLif...s_Details.html

haven't used em, just throwin that out there

Quick Reply: another lifter question....